What Dog Food?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I know we have lots of dog lovers here...

What brand/version of dog food do you feed your canine?

I had been feeding Sugar (my 4 year old mix of GSD, lab, and Anatolian) Fromm Family, but switched a few days ago to Nutro Grain Free Chicken.

The flavor change must be a good thing. She used to leave some food in the bowl, but now with the Nutro, she left nothing behind.

And nutritionally, something in Nutro must be good for her as she is becoming a bit more active and playful.

Sugar @ Hollywood Feed.JPG

Royal Canin prescription low fat food. She won't touch the Hill's equal no matter how hungry she is. The only non-scrip food that works in a pinch is Merrick's low fat. My dog can't ingest fat so it isn't about what she likes, it's about what won't kill her. (Lymphangiectasea)

Last edited:
Sugar is a handsome pooch!
We use Science Diet for our two labs - healthy weight for the 5yo and sensitive stomach for the 2yo with intermittent vomiting issues.

We've had good luck with the Blue Buffalo stuff, but the original formulas ("wild") that's not got the fillers and junk.

They made their name on that stuff, but they started making crap that they label and market differently these days as their popularity grew.

The one dog has a very sensitive stomach and doesn't tolerate much other than high protein diets. She's got a condition in her esophagus where she can't keep food down if the tummy is at all upset. We also have to watch how much food she eats at a time, if she's too full, some of it is coming back up later. Small meals often, works better for her.

The big boy, he will just wolf down anything in sight and tends toward being a one meal a day with a late night snack, but has no interest ever in breakfast. He's like a food camel.

So she eats a little all day, and he eats a massive meal in the evening. Doesn't line up too well, but it seems to work for them.

I feed my Saluki mix Canidae. Although I haven't found anything she won't eat, possibly a result of being a stray (she was from a shelter). She might be part goat.

Purina One SmartBlend. We try to switch it up between the lamb and chicken flavors every few months to give them something different. I'm way too cheap to spend more than ~$1/lb for dog food.

Hank - 10yr old Golden, 2 Weimaraners in background, also 10ish yrs old
8449ac2f931e2338d03cc2123a83517a.jpg

Last edited:
I feed my dog Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken. It's lamb, brown rice, and barley. He has a sensitive stomach, and I tried several dog foods before a Vet recommended this one. The sensitive stomach problems are gone, he likes it, his coat looks great, his stools are easy to pick up, and it doesn't give him nasty gas. It's good stuff.

if you have a tractor supply nearby, their proprietary brand is "4Health." It's made by Diamond and is essentially Taste of The Wild at 1/2 the price, about $1/lb. It gets very good ratings on dogfoodadvisor.com

They offer both with grain and grain free.

Taste of the Wild.

I shoulda added a "rule" that you can't reply to the original question unless you include a photo of your pup(s)....

NO CARBS - at least not as an essential part of the ingredients - you ever seen a dog romp through a field of corn or wheat? Point made.

We only give our Labrador Taste of the Wild - pricey? Yes. Amazon will deliver it -thats how I get it now. Sold mainly at Tractor Supply for years.

carbs are part of the food mix - they are not added to the food to bulk it up. Low Wheat - low corn - protein comes from meat. Very low percentage of essential nutrients from intentional carbs like rice or grains. Grains are NOT a natural part of a canine diet - give them a mostly meat protein diet and they really thrive. They don't gain weight - they don't gobble cause they are not hungry all the time.

No skin or hair problems - no allergies - feed 'em like a dog.

The photo of this Lab is of an almost 9 year old dog - have you ever seen an in shape not fat 9 year old Lab . . . its the food. Photo date is 24/07/2017IMG952017072595071350.jpg

My parents enjoy Alpo Prime Cuts with saltine crackers after we gained control of their finances. Makes'em a little windy, but that's OK because we rarely visit them any way.

My best buddy for 10 1/2 years. Goes to work with me every day. Loves to go fishing. Heck, just loves to go. She's still athletic but her naps are a little longer than they used to be.

IMG_3422.JPG

Unfortunately, due to bladder stones, Murf is now on a Hills prescription food. Previously ( for 9 years ) he was on Wellness. Avatar <- is his puppy picture before his first haircut. A reascue that's mostly ppoodle with healthy doses of Muppet and Godzilla.

Like most thing on poas, it seems, you got as many opinions as answers, maybe more. How'd that work out for ya? :)

There is, at least in humans, an epidemiological association between high protein (i.e. Low Carb, no grain) diets and kidney dysfunction. With the significant risk of kidney failure in older dogs, I've always been reluctant to use no grain pet foods.
Yeah, I know what wolves eat - but is that a rational argument? I dunno

Last edited:
There is, at least in humans, an epidemiological association between high protein (i.e. Low Carb, no grain) diets and kidney dysfunction. With the significant risk of kidney failure in older dogs, I've always been reluctant to avoid no grain pet foods.
Yeah, I know what wolves eat - but is that a rational argument? I dunno
well, there are no grain diets and then there is Eukanuba or one of the grocery store dog foods! There is always a happy middle.

Currently feeding my whippet Rachel Ray's stuff. We were on a few higher-quality dog foods but he's a terrible eater and skinny even for a whippet, so we're trying some lower-quality foods hoping to beef him up a bit. Here is a hilarious photo of him, and no we didn't pose him like this:

890bc2930bd4145c06cf713b85f67095.jpg

Currently feeding my whippet Rachel Ray's stuff. We were on a few higher-quality dog foods but he's a terrible eater and skinny even for a whippet, so we're trying some lower-quality foods hoping to beef him up a bit. Here is a hilarious photo of him, and no we didn't pose him like this:
Does he smile? We had a greyhound before and she would smile when she was excited. People who didn't know her thought she was growling.

Whatever squirts the least!

This little pup didn't make it to engine start, I did not blame him.

1150310_10152103483634447_1824268036_n.jpg

Last edited:
Does he smile? We had a greyhound before and she would smile when she was excited. People who didn't know her thought she was growling.

He does smile sometimes. But his most expressive part is his ears. He can perk them straight up or lay them completely flat, and they're a dead giveaway to what he's thinking.

Back