What doesn’t exist but should?

Non-alcoholic booze that actually tastes good and feels good going down.
I tried a few that the liquor store recommended, but I had a feeling they were actually laughing at me.
They should have. That was the nastiest stuff I ever put in my mouth.
Fortunately, they took the open bottles back in exchange for the good stuff.

Pilot lounges with a bathroom at all rural airports.

I'd like a device that automatically flashes a strobe light at an approaching or following vehicle with high beams or misadjusted or too-bright headlights.
That's a good idea, but I want something that has a constant beam equal in brightness and power to the 36" searchlights mounted on 20th century battleships for illuminating targets during night surface actions.

Something that'll burn a cat naked at 500 yards, like this Sperry unit. It consumed 150 amps, with an output of 400,000,000 candlepower.

1456528685673.jpg

There are lots of drivers in lifted 4WD pickups that need some education about road etiquette.

Single stage to orbit spacecraft. I remember watching the first shuttle launches when I was a little boy thinking that we wouldn't need all of those booster rockets and fuel tanks to help get a spacecraft into orbit when I grew up. Man was I wrong.

Single stage to orbit spacecraft. I remember watching the first shuttle launches when I was a little boy thinking that we wouldn't need all of those booster rockets and fuel tanks to help get a spacecraft into orbit when I grew up. Man was I wrong.
SSTO spacecraft would have to lift empty structure that had carried propellant consumed while accelerating the body through the atmosphere into orbit. This would be prohibitively expensive and perform no useable benefit. Staging discards those structures after the propellant is consumed, reducing the mass of the rocket.

Smaller engines and less propellant on secondary stages increase the efficiency and reduce the overall cost of the spacecraft.

SpaceX has achieved the best model of efficiency by utilizing reusable boosters that return to Earth and land.

Back