What doesn’t exist but should?

Accro52

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Accro52
Hi all,

So a few days ago I was reading through some of my old aviation magazines. In one of them, there was a letter from a GA pilot who described how he was developing back problems and could no longer pull his aircraft by hand and how he wished there was some kind of mechanical towbar/tug to help him (yes, it was quite an old magazine).

Obviously those now exist, but it got me thinking: what other things do we as GA pilots all wish existed but don’t? For example, I’m an A&P mechanic by trade, I wish there was some kind of brass magnet for all the brass screws I seem to lose.

Just curious because aviation always seems like one of those things where there’s so many problems but so few solutions to them!

I wish we had an organization that represented the GA community, including the little guys, from the growing threat to GA from many angles. I would love for a competitor of AOPA to show up and actually do something for us. They would dynamically display all their goals, which would be ranked based on the membership's votes. They would also show the status of each goal, so their activities and accomplishments are transparent.

I wish we had an organization that represented the GA community, including the little guys, from the growing threat to GA from many angles. I would love for a competitor of AOPA to show up and actually do something for us. They would dynamically display all their goals, which would be ranked based on the membership's votes. They would also show the status of each goal, so their activities and accomplishments are transparent.
I think the brass magnet thing is more likely than that.

Just talking with my kids yesterday. I was telling them that when I was their age...maybe middle school or high school, back probably in the 1980's.... I remember one time out working in the heat or something, and was parched. The only thing you could buy in a convenience store in those days cold to drink would pretty much be soda, and all that sugar just wasn't quenching the thirst.
I remember saying that "they" should sell water in a bottle.

My son pointed out that supposedly the richest guy in china owns a water bottle manufacturing company....."you could have been that guy" he says....

yeah, if only.....

SCAT hose without a sharp wire reinforcement that unravels and jabs you, no matter how closely it was trimmed.

Adel clamps that line up without using seven words you can’t say on television.

An iPad that is tolerant of summer heat and sunlight readable, and a ventilated Otterbox.

SCAT hose without a sharp wire reinforcement that unravels and jabs you, no matter how closely it was trimmed.

Adel clamps that line up without using seven words you can’t say on television.
Already out there. Have them install silicon ends when you buy your SCAT hosing and look for the Wiggins adels.

Just talking with my kids yesterday. I was telling them that when I was their age...maybe middle school or high school, back probably in the 1980's.... I remember one time out working in the heat or something, and was parched. The only thing you could buy in a convenience store in those days cold to drink would pretty much be soda, and all that sugar just wasn't quenching the thirst.
I remember saying that "they" should sell water in a bottle.

My son pointed out that supposedly the richest guy in china owns a water bottle manufacturing company....."you could have been that guy" he says....

yeah, if only.....

I remember when bottled water was becoming a thing and thought what a dumb idea. Who would buy water in a bottle when it's free at a water fountain?

I also thought Amazon was dumb when it first got started. Who would buy a book without first thumbing through it?

iPads for charts? What a silly idea.

I'm not much of a visionary.

What should exist is airport management that will clear out hangars used for personal storage and not airplanes.

Who would buy water in a bottle when it's free at a water fountain?

I have had multiple "discussions" with SWMBO about buying bottled water. The Zephyrhills bottled water sold in our local Publix comes from the same freakin' aquifer that our home's well is tapping! It's the same water that flows from our tap! And yet, every time she comes home from the grocery store,.....

Grumble grumble.

Government helping ordinary citizens...
:) OUR citizens, or other countries citizens? Asking because over the years, we've done quite a bit to help out a lot of folks in western Europe, among other places. And don't get me wrong, the Marshal Plan was a good thing for us and the world.

Professional pilots.

Yes, I know they’re out there. I’m currently dealing with the opposite.

Based on the litany of jowl-flap and whingeing I read lately -- an insurance company that will write aircraft insurance for the geriatric set, and possibly, send them cards every year reminding them that they are ever so experienced, awesome, and totally not an increased risk, and that the other mean old underwriters are just ageist jerks who refuse their cash premiums because they hate money more than the elderly. Also, humbug!

(insert cartoon "getaway noise" here, plus, this scene :D )

1704405261735.png

Progressive brake lights for automobiles, so I can tell if a driver is really slowing down or just riding the brakes while bumper riding the car in front of them ... :rolleyes:

Progressive brake lights for automobiles, so I can tell if a driver is really slowing down or just riding the brakes while bumper riding the car in front of them ... :rolleyes:
how about progressive brakes that disable the car when a driver does that?

I'd like a device that automatically flashes a strobe light at an approaching or following vehicle with high beams or misadjusted or too-bright headlights.

I have had multiple "discussions" with SWMBO about buying bottled water. The Zephyrhills bottled water sold in our local Publix comes from the same freakin' aquifer that our home's well is tapping! It's the same water that flows from our tap! And yet, every time she comes home from the grocery store,.....

Grumble grumble.
I could go on about that all day long. There is a bottled water station outside our local grocery store where you can put up to a five gallon container in it, insert cash, and end up with up to five gallons of "purified" water.

Our local groundwater has no impurities to speak of, and more importantly, the machine has a feed line from the store's plumbing, which is the public water system, yet, it has no waste lines. If it has no waste lines, it means it isn't removing s***t.

suitable punishment for robocallers - the people who buy them/rent them - the people who offer the robocaller service.

suitable punishment for robocallers - the people who buy them/rent them - the people who offer the robocaller service.

I want a robo-responder. When a robocall comes in, I'll switch it over to my robo-responder and just let the two machines yak for hours.

I want a robo-responder. When a robocall comes in, I'll switch it over to my robo-responder and just let the two machines yak for hours.

That’s one possible punishment, eh?

I could go on about that all day long. There is a bottled water station outside our local grocery store where you can put up to a five gallon container in it, insert cash, and end up with up to five gallons of "purified" water.

Our local groundwater has no impurities to speak of, and more importantly, the machine has a feed line from the store's plumbing, which is the public water system, yet, it has no waste lines. If it has no waste lines, it means it isn't removing s***t.

My refrigerator doesn't have a waste line, nor does my water filtration under the kitchen sink. Both of those remove impurities. I get the sentiment though.

My refrigerator doesn't have a waste line, nor does my water filtration under the kitchen sink. Both of those remove impurities. I get the sentiment though.
They do have replaceable sediment filters though. And, to be clear, our subject machine may as well, but sediment is as much as it could remove. Chlorine residual and trace organics would require GAC. Trace metals would require sorbtive media and chemical treatment. The machine isn't big enough for that.

Unleaded aviation fuel that works on every GA airplane.

Oh wait.

Let me change that to big government and their over-regulating mindset.

Genetically engineered pigs that are entirely ribs, and boneless fish.

Expiration dates on marriage licenses.

"Suitable" being somewhere around the ending of Braveheart I think? Also the administrator of said punishment should sell the convicted an auto warranty using an Indian accent spoken by someone who has never so much as sniffed a car in their life.

Also I'd like spectator or pay-per-view access to the above.. you know, to help fund the detective work to find these scalawags. :D

Expiration dates on marriage licenses.
That's not really marriage, then. That's a business partnership, and as far as I know, there's no law against running your house like a business partnership with a set date for dissolution of contract.

and they say that romance is dead...

Back