What does that 1200 AGL mean on the sectional

Isn't that how the floor of controlled airspace was depicted on Sectionals over uneven terrain back in the old days?

Now, they just put "Class G" on the map:

View attachment 96484

That has nothing to do with the adjacent 'blue' E airspace. It's what they put there when 700 foot magenta abuts G. Otherwise the 'default' 700 foot magenta 'abutment is' 1200 foot or higher E.

Wrong thread perhaps?

No, right thread. This was in response to post 37:
And if you follow the reference to 61.113(i), you find the prohibition:
(ii) Outside the United States unless authorized by the country in which the flight is conducted;

Canada has not so authorized. To my knowledge, the only country that has is the Bahamas.

Admittedly off-topic from how to read a sectional. Corrected the above statement to include Mexico.
Jon

This is an example of how broken the FAA and its rulemaking process is. Temporary emergency rules should have been formally codified after years and years. There is nothing but silence from AOPA and other pilot groups on this.

Jon

AOPA, EAA, NBAA all have limited resources and political capital. Tilting at broken paperwork processes helps GA how? And ranks where on the importance of blocking user fees?

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Curious: did the OP make it to the goal airports?
Having skirted along that border myself, my favorite was 48Y: what a fun airport to land, and surprisingly cheap gas!

Tilting at broken paperwork processes helps GA how? And ranks where on the importance of blocking user fees?

Tim

This is more than "paperwork." There are procedures the government has to follow to make rules. Using temporary or emergency actions to circumvent the normal regulatory process is a big deal, and in my opinion illegal. I don't have attorneys working for me or buckets of money to spare to fight this, but I do contribute to aviation advocacy organizations to do it for me.

If I am not mistaken, the American Revolution was based on opposition to oppressive rulemaking by the sovereign.

As to user fees, with this logic, the FAA could issue a NOTAM to impose user fees to deal with the COVID-19 emergency for instance. And if the emergency rules last 20 years, would you still call it a "broken paperwork process?"

You may disagree, but I actually think this is important. The FAA and every other government agency should follow its own rules.

Jon

on a related note... that direct flight path takes me into Canadian airspace, as long as I am not landing in canada, I should be cool rt? I am on BasicMed and don't think they like it.

or I can just keep the river to my left and stay outside their airspace

Why not plan your flight and run it by a Canadian flight service briefer? Winnipeg FIC has an 866 number and may be able to verify their policies for you. You could ask about overflying Canadian Air Space while flying point to point in the US and about the basic med issue. You could ask Leidos flight service the same questions first, then call FIC to confirm.

This is just an idea. It never hurts to call someone who is supposed to know and work with this stuff every day.

Back