What does a solo endorsement mean?

imjamesscott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
imjamesscott
I flew my first solo today and got my endorsement and just curious does that legally mean i can fly solo withing 20nm of my airport? What does ot exactly mean?

Unless you're signed off for an airport outside the 20 NM radius by your instructor.

It means you are authorized to fly solo within the limitations of:
  • 14 CFR 61.89,
  • 14 CFR 61.93(a) (essentially that you have to stay within 25nm of your airport and not land anywhere but your airport), and
  • Any additional limitations your instructor placed in that endorsement.
As mentioned above, your instructor should have discussed this with you, but if you still have questions, ask your instructor.

In addition to the above, it means you need a new shirt. Congratulations!

-Rich

I flew my first solo today and got my endorsement and just curious does that legally mean i can fly solo withing 20nm of my airport? What does ot exactly mean?

Draw a circle on a map with a 20 or 25nm radius. Excluding landing at any other airport or entering class bravo (sans separate endorcment) you may fly there, and only there

Your Instructor should have explained it to you before endorsing. :nonod:
It's also a pretty obvious item for the pre-solo knowledge test - first on the list in the reg as a matter of fact - "Applicable sections of parts 61..." I can't think of any applicable Part 61 items other than limitations on solo flight.

The instructor usually sets the limits and approves airports you may land at.

Yes you have a 20 mile limit absent a different endorsement.

Never forget you have the authority to fly further in an emergency - like you are 18 miles away from home base, make a 180, and there is a wall of black cloud behind you. OK, BAD situational awareness to let those clouds sneak up on you, but it happens. Land (and land legally) at any airport outside of the 20 mile ring as necessary.

Let's turn this into a learning experience. If this happened to you in reality, you may want to file an ASRS report. Ask your CFI about ASRS if it hasn't come up in your ground school yet.

-Skip

Land (and land legally) at any airport outside of the 20 mile ring as necessary.
just don't take off again since there's no emergency on the ground (unless the airport is on fire?)

Where is everyone getting this 20-mile limit business? Unless your instructor puts a specific 20nm limit in his/her solo endorsement, per 14 CFR 61.93, it's 25 nm, not 20.

Thank you, I thought I was losing my memory or it was a typo, but after several repetitions by different posters, it's not a typo. Where does this come from?

The original poster mentioned it in the very first message in this thread. Either he is mistaken as to the number or his instructor has placed a very odd restriction on things.

Where is everyone getting this 20-mile limit business? Unless your instructor puts a specific 20nm limit in his/her solo endorsement, per 14 CFR 61.93, it's 25 nm, not 20.

It has to do with the sequester. :rolleyes:

-Rich

Back