What do you use to deice your plane

the shrink wrap I've used is rather hard work to unroll it in the application. Not sure I'd be excited about doing that out in the cold...especially for a high wing!
I might consider some black poly sheet instead..... maybe some bungees or tape to hold it in place overnight...or maybe better Polycryo because it's very lightweight... it's that heat shrink film used to insulate windows in winter. Some backpackers use it for ground cloths for under their tents or sleeping pads so it's somewhat durable

That's actually a pretty good idea. You could run to the local Walmart/ dollar general and get cling wrap almost anywhere. I wonder how many rolls it would take. It'd take a while to do 40' 12" at a time. Pallet wrap would work great, but that's a big heavy item to schlep around.

I've seen people use blankets or sheets, but they're pretty bulky to carry around and can get wet. They do make custom wing covers, but again, bulky and expensive.

If it's that cold and you can't find a hangar, engine preheat is almost a bigger issue. I suppose walmart has extension cords too if it comes to that. I paid for a hangar in Kentucky a couple weeks ago because it was going to be stupid cold. $70 seemed a little steep. It was worth every penny the next morning when we loaded up in the warm hangar, the line guy towed us outside into the -15C & breezy air, and the engine fired right up.

Hangar is by far the best option. I had a hangar lined up that night. Would have been $100 for the night but I was okay with it. However, when I called the FBO prior to arrival, nobody was there. That same FBO in the past told me they had space and when I arrived, they said “oops, no space” and I ended up scrambling because customs was expecting me at their FBO but I couldn’t park there and had to go to the public ramp. This time I was proactive and called up the other FBO which has much nicer employees and said they definitely have space for us, they just don’t have hangar space so I ended up going there.

I do carry around several extensions so at least the battery and engine were plugged in overnight and the plane started up fine.

The night before, when we stopped in Nashville we also had hangar space lined up in Smyrna. Only problem was, the airport got closed prior to our arrival and our alternate airport had no hangar space so the plane was outside at -17C for the night. I posted here asking if anyone has hangar space at that airport to thaw my plane in the morning but nobody responded. Short notice on a Sunday I guess. At least it was sunny in Nashville and that melted off the frost so I could just wipe off the melted frost from the wings.

Last edited:
Sad to say, but our club planes sit outside and they provide no tools or de ice fluid. So my answer is - "the sun". But, to be fair, being in the Atlanta area frost on wings is relatively rare compared to rest of country.

I don’t disagree with you. The accident rate in light GA is mostly attributed to our decision making skills. Pardon me if I don’t base my risk assessment on what other pilots in light GA aircraft decide in regards to flying with contaminated wings.

Who said the wing was contaminated after I was done?

Who said the wing was contaminated after I was done?
You said it was contaminated when you started and the entire ****ing discussion is about how we, as PIC’s, manage the risks associated with operating aircraft when we find contamination on the wing.

I have no idea what the wing looked like when you finished and I, honestly, don’t care.

You decided to scrape it off with a credit card, load your family up and go fly.

I said I would not find that to be a suitable choice.

You do you man. If I was the PIC I would spend the $800 for the peace of mind to know that wing was clean and not compromised.

You said it was contaminated when you started and the entire ****ing discussion is about how we, as PIC’s, manage the risks associated with operating aircraft when we find contamination on the wing.

I have no idea what the wing looked like when you finished and I, honestly, don’t care.

You decided to scrape it off with a credit card, load your family up and go fly.

I said I would not find that to be a suitable choice.

You do you man. If I was the PIC I would spend the $800 for the peace of mind to know that wing was clean and not compromised.

Holy crap, who p***ed in your soup last night? What you're saying is, besides a hangar, the only other option to get airborne safely when there is a thin layer of frost is to get the plane de-iced for $800+ by an FBO? I would strongly argue that this is just insane and I'm confident that many will view it the same way. Ever been to an airport that is next to a river? JWN for example. Had frost on the wing there as well and no hangar space. I asked for de-ice and was told that they are not allowed to use any due to the river besides the airport. I asked how others deal with it and was told, sun or scrape. I had a few hours to spare so I let the sun take care of it (or is that also "dangerous"?). Others that morning did not have time to spare, charter ops, people on a schedule. Guess what they did? Scrape the layer of frost off and wipe it down with a broom. How about the 1,000s of airports with no FBO and no de-icing service located in the north where it'll be frosty permanently from November until April? These poor folks will have to stay grounded I guess because scraping off frost from wings is so dangerous? Nonsense! The flight school I partly learned to fly at in Canada (not some small school, it's a pretty large school), you know, way up north where it's cold like half of the year, guess how they de-contaminated the wings for flights? You guessed it - scraped the frost off. I'm not talking about an inch thick layer of ice - I'm talking about a thin layer of frost that forms on a cold, clear night. Especially on a low wing aircraft, you can scrape all the frost off, remove it with a broom or some dry cloth completely and you're good to go. Sure, it takes time (took me an hour) to do it right but I am 100% confident that, once I was done, there was no frost whatsoever left on the plane.

For what it's worth, this is what Transport Canada (the Canadian version of the FAA) says about de-icing wings especially on small aircraft:

"Reducing the amount of deicing fluid used can have a positive impact on both the cost and the environmental. Manual methods of snow removal should be used whenever possible, as long as safety is not compromised. There are a wide variety of devices available to assist in the removal of frozen contaminants from aircraft. Factors such as temperature, amount of contamination, wind conditions, and contaminant location must be taken into account when choosing the method.
Under extremely low temperatures, the use of glycol-based fluids is limited (refer to the fluid manufacturers’ specifications for details). In these circumstances, manual methods may be the only option."

Then it lists all the "manual" tools one can use to de-ice the wings, one of which is "scrapers".

The National Aviation Academy writes: "Manual deicing is deicing through mechanical movements like pushing or scraping. This method is great for smaller aircraft or if fluid is unavailable for use. The FAA recommends using brooms, brushes, wing/propeller covers, or air blowers during the manual deicing process. The manual process can be highly effective at removing residue, but mechanics should be careful not to brush ice or frost contamination into gaps or cavities of the aircraft."

AOPA writes: "For those of us at the bottom of a hangar waiting list, it can be disheartening to watch others taxi their clean aircraft out of their hangars while we're still scraping off ice or snow. Perhaps a fixed-base operator at your airport offers preheat and deice services that will clean your aircraft before you get to the airport. If not, stick a soft broom, towel, and deicers in your car before you head out. Simple non-abrasive tools like a credit card can help remove snow and ice too."

But I can imagine that it would be a heck of a job here:

Screen Shot 2024-02-03 at 10.36.08 PM.png

Holy crap, who p***ed in your soup last night? What you're saying is, besides a hangar, the only other option to get airborne safely when there is a thin layer of frost is to get the plane de-iced for $800+ by an FBO? I would strongly argue that this is just insane and I'm confident that many will view it the same way. Ever been to an airport that is next to a river? JWN for example. Had frost on the wing there as well and no hangar space. I asked for de-ice and was told that they are not allowed to use any due to the river besides the airport. I asked how others deal with it and was told, sun or scrape. I had a few hours to spare so I let the sun take care of it (or is that also "dangerous"?). Others that morning did not have time to spare, charter ops, people on a schedule. Guess what they did? Scrape the layer of frost off and wipe it down with a broom. How about the 1,000s of airports with no FBO and no de-icing service located in the north where it'll be frosty permanently from November until April? These poor folks will have to stay grounded I guess because scraping off frost from wings is so dangerous? Nonsense! The flight school I partly learned to fly at in Canada (not some small school, it's a pretty large school), you know, way up north where it's cold like half of the year, guess how they de-contaminated the wings for flights? You guessed it - scraped the frost off. I'm not talking about an inch thick layer of ice - I'm talking about a thin layer of frost that forms on a cold, clear night. Especially on a low wing aircraft, you can scrape all the frost off, remove it with a broom or some dry cloth completely and you're good to go. Sure, it takes time (took me an hour) to do it right but I am 100% confident that, once I was done, there was no frost whatsoever left on the plane.
Dude. You asked the question. I answered.

Then you come at me with some ******** question about “who said it was contaminated after I was done?”

To answer your question, you ****ed in my soup. You don’t want to know what we think you should not ask.

Dude. You asked the question. I answered.

Then you come at me with some ******** question about “who said it was contaminated after I was done?”

To answer your question, you ****ed in my soup. You don’t want to know what we think you should not ask.

Wrong. Quick reality check for you: I asked the question over 2 months ago, got my answers, the thread already moved on from my initial question and then you came here, with p*** in your soup already, implying that I (and other fellow pilots on this forum and elsewhere) go flying with contaminated wings without any evidence or indication of it (at least not from any of my posts).

Wrong. Quick reality check for you: I asked the question over 2 months ago, got my answers, the thread already moved on from my initial question and then you came here, with p*** in your soup already, implying that I (and other fellow pilots on this forum and elsewhere) go flying with contaminated wings without any evidence or indication of it (at least not from any of my posts).
No. Reality check yourself.

I never said anyone took off with contaminated wings.

I said I would have spent the $800. You said many would not have. I agreed and you come back with a smart ass question. I gave you a smart ass answer in response. Now you’re trying to castigate me as the ****. Well you’re wrong about that too.

It used to be a Part 135 rule that you could wipe the frost smooth and depart...........and we often did in the King Air. But I always factored in about 10 knots of extra speed before I left the ground.

Later, they changed that rule.

No. Reality check yourself.

I never said anyone took off with contaminated wings.

I said I would have spent the $800. You said many would not have. I agreed and you come back with a smart ass question. I gave you a smart ass answer in response. Now you’re trying to castigate me as the ****. Well you’re wrong about that too.
Maybe I should remind you of your own quote. Seems like short term memory may be an issue ;-)

Pardon me if I don’t base my risk assessment on what other pilots in light GA aircraft decide in regards to flying with contaminated wings.

This was your response to me saying that I scraped the wings and know of other pilots, scraping the ice off of their wings. Surely sounds to me like you’re implying that scraping the wings free from ice equals to flying with contaminated wings.

Hey, but I get it. You’re holier than thou. As you already said, you do you and I do me. Just don’t do preachy you to me please if you can help it in any way.

Maybe I should remind you of your own quote. Seems like short term memory may be an issue ;-)

This was your response to me saying that I scraped the wings and know of other pilots, scraping the ice off of their wings. Surely sounds to me like you’re implying that scraping the wings free from ice equals to flying with contaminated wings.

Hey, but I get it. You’re holier than thou. As you already said, you do you and I do me. Just don’t do preachy you to me please if you can help it in any way.
No, I did not imply that at all. I specifically stated I had no knowledge of what your wings looked like after you were done scraping and told you it did not matter with regards to my statement.

I’m not being holier than anyone. I simply shared my personal preference about how to handle contaminated wings when flying and you took it as some kind of personal attack, which it was not.

But take it however you want Chris. At the end of the day I know I wasn’t talking down to you or anyone else and frankly your opinion of me is not any of my business.

No, I did not imply that at all. I specifically stated I had no knowledge of what your wings looked like after you were done scraping and told you it did not matter with regards to my statement.

I’m not being holier than anyone. I simply shared my personal preference about how to handle contaminated wings when flying and you took it as some kind of personal attack, which it was not.

But take it however you want Chris. At the end of the day I know I wasn’t talking down to you or anyone else and frankly your opinion of me is not any of my business.

Well, it came across as such. But, if that's not true, I apologize for having taken it that way. The problem with forums is, it's hard to "read" overall tone and sentiment - it's black words on white background, no body language, no facial expressions, etc. You may be a bot for all I know haha. Again, sorry if that was not your intention. You're probably a cool guy - after all, you are a pilot ;-)

Well, it came across as such. But, if that's not true, I apologize for having taken it that way. The problem with forums is, it's hard to "read" overall tone and sentiment - it's black words on white background, no body language, no facial expressions, etc. You may be a bot for all I know haha. Again, sorry if that was not your intention. You're probably a cool guy - after all, you are a pilot ;-)
My apologies it read that way, it was not intended.

Thankfully.

I love and hate this means of communication. It opens up the opportunity to interact with a much larger group but is so easy to futz up. Miss one comma and you sound like an ass.

All the more reasons to organize more POA fly-ins I guess.

All the more reasons to organize more POA fly-ins I guess.
Screw that. Then you’ll know I am a butthole.

But yes. It’s on the list and hopefully will have time to make one soon. Kids are close to leaving me so I will have more me time whether I like it or not.

Is it acceptable to ride a motorcycle to the fly in?

I’m a pilot with no plane.

Thankfully.

I love and hate this means of communication. It opens up the opportunity to interact with a much larger group but is so easy to futz up. Miss one comma and you sound like an ass.

Once upon a time.....

Years ago it fell to me to resolve a dispute between two of our engineers, one in Orlando and one in Dallas. What had begun as a technical disagreement had devolved into an email feud, and I was tasked with figuring out what was going on and negotiating a truce.

So, I got a copy of the email chain and read through it, then spoke separately with each engineer. It turned out that one of them had some sort of app which automatically appended a randomly-selected Bible verse to his signature file. During the exchange, this app randomly selected the 9th commandment (bearing false witness). Then the next time it selected the proverb about God hating a lying tongue. Next was Romans 3:23, the wages of sin is death.

I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath.

Naturally, the recipient didn't realize these were random, and thought the sender was calling him a liar and telling him he was bound for hell. Also naturally, the sender didn't read his own sig lines and had no idea why the other fellow was getting so upset. Fortunately I was able to show both what was going on and get the situation calmed down.

We were just lucky they weren't in the same state, or there may have been pistols at dawn.

And then we implemented some rules about sig files....

Back