What do you think?

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Ok i was thinking, I would like to have a little extra money this summer (you know so i can fly everyday.) I had an idea to maybe put a sign up at the airport, and clean planes, wax it, wash it, the whole deal. I was wondering if you think that Pilots would trust someone else with there plane. I was thinking of maybe putting on the sign that i was a pilot and maybe that would make them more comfortable. Also that i have some experience cleaning them. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks,

There is a pair of guys at ORL who wash airplanes from their van. Last I heard a wash was $130 for a single. Wax is extra. They do a great job and they're always busy.

Hard work but lucrative, I bet there'd be a lot of takers. I'd sign on.
Show your concern for the airplanes by asking each owner, 'Is there anything that you want me to be particularily careful about on your airplane?' (some won't want you to touch the glass with anything but clear water and your clean jewelry-free hand, fabric is a little more delicate than spamca -er metal. Watch antennae, don't shoot water into openings, blah blah blah.
Good luck!

Let'sgoflying! said:
(some won't want you to touch the glass with anything but clear water and your clean jewelry-free hand, fabric is a little more delicate than spamca -er metal. Watch antennae, don't shoot water into openings, blah blah blah.
And NO Simple Green!!!

Rudy,

Absolutely there's a market for this. Diana has my cell number and my e-mail is listed in my profile. I can keep you busy on two airplanes down in Bentonville, and can probably line up more than that.

Chip

gibbons said:
Rudy,

Absolutely there's a market for this. Diana has my cell number and my e-mail is listed in my profile. I can keep you busy on two airplanes down in Bentonville, and can probably line up more than that.

Chip
Ok great! I will let you know further. I am currently working on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but i could fit anything in. I am definitiely interested and will keep you posted.

Rudy said:
Ok great! I will let you know further. I am currently working on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but i could fit anything in. I am definitiely interested and will keep you posted.

Rudy,

I'm sorry to report that we will almost certainly have to test fly the Extra after it's washed. I'll need you to go along just in case there's a problem.

Chip

gibbons said:
Rudy,

I'm sorry to report that we will almost certainly have to test fly the Extra after it's washed. I'll need you to go along just in case there's a problem.

Chip

Hey! I'll come wash it if that's the case! But I don't do bellies. I did that yesterday, for the first and last time! ;)

Diana said:
Hey! I'll come wash it if that's the case! But I don't do bellies. I did that yesterday, for the first and last time! ;)
I would like to go on record here that I am refraining from comment on this at the moment. I would like everyone to recognize the extraordinary self-discipline I am exhibiting by NOT commenting on such a wide open, "come and get me 'cause this is so darn easy" statement like that.

Isn't this coming from the same woman asking about harnesses for hookers in planes? :D

Brian Austin said:
I would like to go on record here that I am refraining from comment on this at the moment. I would like everyone to recognize the extraordinary self-discipline I am exhibiting by NOT commenting on such a wide open, "come and get me 'cause this is so darn easy" statement like that.

Isn't this coming from the same woman asking about harnesses for hookers in planes? :D

:rofl:

I don't even know how to respond to that one. Chip, help me out here! :eek:

Never mind, Chip came up to the farm today and got the belly dirty again; he's not going to help here.

OK, let's see. I have previously refused to clean bellies d/t an aversion to getting yucky-dirty and d/t being claustrophobic and worrying that while under the airplane it will for some reason collapse on me and squash me. All airplanes have that potential according to my irrational beliefs.

However, I am flying the Citabria down to Alabama tomorrow so that Greg Koontz will spend hours with me in the Citabria fine-tuning my aerobatic skills and giving me more spin training. I couldn't go down there with a dirty belly, even though it's my trademark in this part of the country.

Brian, you crack me up. :D

Last edited:
Your biggest hassle may be getting a water supply large enough to wash a plane. Going to need to make arrangements with the airport or tank the water in. Still, I know the desire to earn a few bucks extra a month for flying.

corjulo said:
Your biggest hassle may be getting a water supply large enough to wash a plane. Going to need to make arrangements with the airport or tank the water in. Still, I know the desire to earn a few bucks extra a month for flying.
If he has a pickup truck, that's an easy fix. Ebay has several sizes of water tanks that can work in the bed of a truck for under $125 (up to 210 gallons!). Rig a small, 12vdc pump to run off of the truck's electrical system for pumping. Call it $200 altogether.

Rudy said:
Ok i was thinking, I would like to have a little extra money this summer (you know so i can fly everyday.) I had an idea... Thanks,
Rudy, because of the Illinois EPA, you can't wash airplanes without an oil water separator. Or at least public facility operators cannot...so no FBO hose any more. So I built a wash rack...a 4x4' Menard's trailer, about $150, a $40 65 gallon polyvinyl tank, and a well pump bolted to the 3/4" plywood. Fill with softened water from the house.

Most in-demand item on the field. Pilots always coming by my hangar asking if they can "borrow" the wash rack. It's got to the point where I say, sure, but do mine first. And, some do! Remember, Senecas have acres and acres of aluminum....and two exhausts.

Diana said:
:rofl:

I don't even know how to respond to that one. Chip, help me out here! :eek:

I couldn't go down there with a dirty belly, even though it's my trademark in this part of the country.

Diana, I get the feeling that you're talking about airplane bellies, and Brian's not.:rolleyes:

A couple of pilots I knew in Florida tried to do just this.
Got the equipment, put out the word, and yes, there was considerable interest.
The VERY first time they tried to wash someones plane for compensation, they got shut down by the airport authority, who cited liability concerns.
We always felt if it was an attempt to squash competition on the field. You could violate FAR's by doing your own maintenance without a license and they didn't care, but woe on you if a licensed A/P came on the field to do something for you. You'd better use the FBO's mechanics (if you could get them to pull off the school fleet, or stop working on the boss' C-310 or King Air (Part 135) planes long enough.

Good luck.
Hope it works wherever you are.:cheerio:

lancefisher said:
Diana, I get the feeling that you're talking about airplane bellies, and Brian's not.:rolleyes:
Hangar Talk = anything goes within RoC. ;)

Diana, you can wash my belly anytime....

(Does this mean I have to buy a plane now?) :D

At the two San Antonio airports wet washing is prohibited. Period. EPA regs.

I use Wash-Wax-All. Some folks take their planes elsewhere to get washed.

Huh? thats interesting, i have washed my plane quite a few times at KPTS and its no problem, they have a hose there and everything. Weird how different airports would regulate something like that.

The FBO at my airport also feels his contract with the city (city owned airport) gives him the right to control all commercial activity in his area, which includes all the existing ramp and hanger areas. Anyone coming in to wash for money would be hastled. It might be worthwhile to check with the airport manager before investing too much.

Rudy said:
Ok i was thinking, I would like to have a little extra money this summer (you know so i can fly everyday.) I had an idea to maybe put a sign up at the airport, and clean planes, wax it, wash it, the whole deal. I was wondering if you think that Pilots would trust someone else with there plane. I was thinking of maybe putting on the sign that i was a pilot and maybe that would make them more comfortable. Also that i have some experience cleaning them. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks,

Rudy;

This is how I got to earn all my ratings. I started when I was 14 through 18. I got to know a lot of planes up close and personal. Bellies was my specialty. Many of the owner would let me help them "Dry them" with a local flight. The worst plane I had to clean was a toss up between a "Bamboo Bomber" and the Beech 18. The best plane and the most fun was a Beech Stagger Wing 17. Lots of work but the bonus was great. The best part of cleaning planes for flying time was learning the how the planes were designed. The owners loved it for they knew I was, "the airport kid" who looked for jobs to keep flying. That was the trust for they knew I was a local student pilot and late pilot in training.

You can make decent money cleaning planes and it is great exercise.

Good luck

John J

John J said:
Rudy;

This is how I got to earn all my ratings. I started when I was 14 through 18. I got to know a lot of planes up close and personal. Bellies was my specialty. Many of the owner would let me help them "Dry them" with a local flight. The worst plane I had to clean was a toss up between a "Bamboo Bomber" and the Beech 18. The best plane and the most fun was a Beech Stagger Wing 17. Lots of work but the bonus was great. The best part of cleaning planes for flying time was learning the how the planes were designed. The owners loved it for they knew I was, "the airport kid" who looked for jobs to keep flying. That was the trust for they knew I was a local student pilot and late pilot in training.

You can make decent money cleaning planes and it is great exercise.

Good luck

John J
Good to hear, I came up with the idea just to be around airplanes, but it seems as if there would probably be quite a few people interested and i might be able to make pretty good money.

Back