What do you think?

What kind of Fly-In would you attend?

• Total voters

Keck Aviation

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KeckAviation
Keck Aviation wants to host a Fly-In event, but is tired of the normal "Pancake Breakfast"

What do you guys think would be a fun Fly-In that YOU would go to?

Hey, where the eff was the choice for "cool & hip event for the younger generation that no one will go to"? I'd vote for that.

Seriously though, I agree that an afternoon BBQ or something similar is a nice change from a breakfast. Though I can go for a good stack of pancakes as well.

I voted for BBQ. But keep in mind that one reason the breakfast is popular is that all the pilots can be home for their honey-dos by noon ;-)

I like the 'flight festival' idea with food (hotdogs, hamburgers etc). I'm thinking along the lines of an open house type event. I always enjoy those.

Early BBQ. Flying early is always good since it usually beats the weather. BBQ because everyone else does pancakes. Breakfast burritos with brisket and eggs now that eggs are cheap. Don't fergit the green chili.

Lunch venues are the best thing in my opinion. I'm not big on breakfast, and a dinner fly in event cuts in to my drinking time unless it is an overnighter.

I voted for all of them. I would love to find a place I could fly to for a music festival, that would be ideal. and I'm not talkin no beyonce-type music festival. so if anyone is aware of anything like that anywhere near the southeast, please lemme know. besides, with a music festival typically comes most of the other stuff, food, bbq, camping etc so u kinda combine a lot of the options in one.

Free beer for pilots that fly in...??
Only if you can settle for this...Bud and Corona don't come free. :D
13127039233_cd7737aee5_o.jpg

I would fly to all of those.

Also, that's the worst question to ask on this forum.

GA is declining were I live. At one time we had events as you mentioned.

At one time we had a poker run, pick up cards before TO, fly 20min land pick up more cards, fly another 20min land and pick up more cards, head home land and show your hand.

We also had flour bombing were you fly down the runway at 300ft drop your bag of flour and the closest one to the target won.

Power out landing computation was fun, set power on final and don't adjust, closest one the 1000ft mark from the end of the runway won.

Today non existent..:( The GA pilots here now have there own mission and don't intermingle a lot. Maybe if the local FBO would hold something as you suggest folks would support it and attend, but they are more concerned with fueling AK Airlines and they don't provide much to the GA population other than fuel.

Hope you get folks to attend, an early BBQ lunch seems like a good option. Gives the girls time to get ready to fly and no one is pushed for time...)

GA is declining were I live. At one time we had events as you mentioned.
Unfortunately, I'm beginning to feel the same affects in my area. I remember about ~10 years ago, one of the local airports would have an open house every October and it would always draw out a good number of people both in aviation and in the community and now it's pretty much nil. We're lucky if it even happens now. Basically the small knit group of pilots around here is all we've got nowadays.

Basically the small knit group of pilots around here is all we've got nowadays.
It takes a lot of effort to set events up then you hope the weather is good and the folks have the time off to attend. Work really straps me down now a days, but I'm looking at the end of the tunnel and hope to retire in 3 to 5 years.

Hopefully I will stay healthy and continue to fly, maybe even hook up with other aviation enthusiast's and have fun flying...:)

It takes a lot of effort to set events up then you hope the weather is good and the folks have the time off to attend. Work really straps me down now a days, but I'm looking at the end of the tunnel and hope to retire in 3 to 5 years.

Hopefully I will stay healthy and continue to fly, maybe even hook up with other aviation enthusiast's and have fun flying...:)
I agree, it certainly is a lot of work. The open house events were always held on a Sunday so it opened the party up to a wider selection of people. I'm not too sure what the hang up is now, as to why they don't hold it as regularly as they used to, but I'm assuming it's management, money or a combination of the two. Not sure why money would be a hang up though. Best of luck to you in your pursuit for retirement, exciting times ahead!

Make it lunch. 12noon to 2pm or something. Gives pilots time to fly both there and back. I cant fly on an empty stomach, so these breakfasts only work for me if they are at my airport.

Not sure what you mean by flight festival, but seemed like the closest to the kind of fly in that I will go to. That is the ones that have Spot landings, Flour Bombing, Balloon pop or other flight contests I can participate in. But can be hard to organize these and keep the FAA happy.

Brian

WE HAVE MADE OUR DECISION!

We are hosting a Wings & Wheels Festival with live music and BBQ on September 23rd 2017!

Come on out and enjoy the music, planes, cars, and MORE!

www.Facebook.com/keckaviation/events

Saw your other thread and post. Neat.

I hope you get a good turnout. Ohio is a bit far from here, but sounds like an event that if money and time were no object, I'd go plan an XC just to see the cars.

Hell, why not most of the above? Fly in Saturday afternoon, BBQ dinner, band and beers that evening, a place to pitch the tent and sleep, pancake breakfast the next morning, everyone flys home.

Hell, why not most of the above? Fly in Saturday afternoon, BBQ dinner, band and beers that evening, a place to pitch the tent and sleep, pancake breakfast the next morning, everyone flys home.

That would be awesome, maybe next time we can incorporate the overnight part. For now, we have bands and BBQ, planes and cars! We are halfway there! :D

That would be awesome, maybe next time we can incorporate the overnight part. For now, we have bands and BBQ, planes and cars! We are halfway there! :D

Well, I'm working to get my medical back. If its' back by September, I may fly up. Post a reminder close in.

Back