What do you think about the DA62?

Funny thing. They had it to demo at sun n fun at kpcm, which I am out of. Several guys checking it over and they were giving demos to guys. I walked around and really checked it out. Had a lot of good features but as it wasn't US licensed it had a few things that weren't approved. I was really disappointed that it wasn't pressurized as I fly a Malibu and kind of a deal breaker for me. Few other things I didn't like. Not much baggage capacity and way it was equiped with the extra seat really, None. I was mentioning these things to the reps standing there and seemed like as I wasn't just drooling over it they were totally rude and just started completely ignoring me. Now this wasn't totally my imagination as the fbo operater was standing there and he told them in front of me that they were being rude to the one person who was looking at the plane that could actually afford it. I walked away and won't be looking at any of there products again.

I can get 170 KTAS at 18 gph, or I can get 155 gph at 12 gph and do it for over 1000 nm. I don't have the throw away the airplane at 11,000 or so hours. I get 2,000 hours on the engines and can have them overhauled for less than the diesels. The extra I pay for fuel per mile is less than the additional maintenance cost of the diesels. The interest on the difference in purchase price will buy all the fuel I use. The Twin Comanche is still the most efficient twin. Maybe in another 50 years it won't be, but it still is now.

The performance and handling is outstanding just like all the Diamond aircraft. Buy they are still ugly. Don

After all the comments on looks I had to go watch the video. It brings to mine the proverb, "a camel is a horse designed by committee." It has some good parts but something ain't quite right about the final result. :)

Nice aircraft, but way too much $$$ for 1M~1.2M I can think of many turbo prop or even small used jets .....

Nice aircraft, but way too much $$$ for 1M~1.2M I can think of many turbo prop or even small used jets .....
Is that all it costs? I thought it would be north of 1.5M

This aircraft is brand new, so I believe it will eventually go down in price. The Cirrus started off around the same price new as well. As for the looks, (It's subjective I know) but it looks nice to me.

Is that all it costs? I thought it would be north of 1.5M

They are about 1 to 1.2 M USD...

Diamond DA62 EASA-certified
April 30, 2015 By Jim Moore
0427_da62_certified.jpg

Austria’s Diamond Aircraft celebrated European certification of the new flagship of the company fleet, displaying the diesel piston twin DA62 at Aero Friedrichshafen in a new paint scheme.

The DA62 (announced in 2012 as the DA52) is available in two basic configurations: with five seats and a 4,407-pound maximum takeoff weight, and seven seats with a 5,071-pound limit. Both configurations are powered by a pair of Austro Engine AE 330 engines producing 180 horsepower on Jet A-1, and pulling the twin at 160 knots while burning 5.9 gallons per hour on each side.
ri

The five-seat configuration can stretch its legs to 1,314 nautical miles, according to detailed specifications (with side-by-side comparisons) posted on the company website. The seven-seat version has a maximum range of 1,285 nautical miles; both configurations carry 86 gallons of fuel.

The company has applied for FAA approval and hopes to have that type certificate by March or April of 2016, a spokesperson said in an email responding to questions about availability and price. At current exchange rates, both basic configurations (4,407 pounds and 5,071 pounds) have the same price, just over $1 million (€920,000). The seven-seat configuration, fully-equipped (though excluding optional air conditioning) is $1.1 million at current exchange rates.

A change in the production process has removed restrictions on paint options, and the DA62 displayed at Aero sported a two-tone metallic gray paint scheme with white accent stripes, a dramatic difference from the predominantly white paint on previous test aircraft. Owners may choose any color, the company noted.

Diamond reported that a dozen DA62 orders have been taken so far.

0427_da62_certified2.jpg

From left, Patrick Ky, EASA Executive Director, hands over the DA62 EASA certificate to Christian Dries, Diamond Aircraft CEO at AERO Friedrichshafen. Photo courtesy of Diamond Aircraft.

This aircraft is brand new, so I believe it will eventually go down in price. The Cirrus started off around the same price new as well. As for the looks, (It's subjective I know) but it looks nice to me.

It'd better go down rapidly if it's competing against $300,000 aircraft. Like bankruptcy inducing levels of rapidly.

What is the noise level like in the cabin during cruise flight?

The 42 was really quiet relative to other twins so I would imagine the same is true of the 62. I don't think the price tag is much of a concern for those who purchase the 62.

So this airplane that we hope will "change GA" is coming into an aircraft market that is poised to sell fewer than 900 piston aircraft WORLDWIDE in 2016.

Fewer than 900! Of that figure, fewer than 130 will be twins. WORLDWIDE.

To put that in perspective, Lamborghini hand-builds over 2,100 supercars per year.

So, now, let's talk about how a $1.2 million dollar light twin is going to change anything. Heck, if they sell just 25 of them, they will represent 20% of the worldwide twin sales! Sadly, they probably won't.

What we really should be talking about is why any business in its right mind would build a new airplane, let alone a twin.

http://www.gama.aero/files/documents/2016ShipmentReport-Q2.pdf

Back