What do you mean turn off the landing light?

I don't know. Quite frankly I had not read this thread in a few days and have been laughing my ass off at all the post. I still hope someone will post a 10 page essay on the cause/effect of backfiring. That would really top it off. Rachel.....please hang around. There really are some very knowledgeable folks around here and if you can learn to ignore the ridiculousness at times you will actually learn a thing or two -:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Rachel,

I have daughters coming up on your age in a few years. Clearly your dad was successful at getting you hooked on this flying disease. If you don't mind sharing, how did he do it ?

Hey Jeff! As it turns out, my dad wasn't really the cause of my interest in aviation. He started out as an a&p in his early 20s and has been working for the airlines ever since. Flying for free allowed us to travel far and often, which hooked me on that platform. The inspiration to fly myself to those places came from learning about my ancestors and their involvement in aviation. I'll have to PM you the full run down one of these days but in the end, seeing the smile on my grandfathers face when he first took me up in his Super Cub when I was 16 was the last spark I needed. Things started snowballing from there as I began learning some aviation war history from my grandpa Ted, some flying finesse from my grandpa Norm, and of course, a bottomless supply of airliner mechanical data from my Dad. Now he's finally getting his pilots license so I guess maybe you could say I hooked him!!

Hey Jeff! As it turns out, my dad wasn't really the cause of my interest in aviation.

Oh that's funny!

You know you've done a really good job as a parent when your children don't realize your influence and think they own their decisions. :D

Oh that's funny!

You know you've done a really good job as a parent when your children don't realize your influence and think they own their decisions. :D

It DOES work the other way sometimes.

I've been working tangentially to aviation for years, but it was my kid's obsession that got me into flight training. He decided he wanted to be a pilot before I did.

... in the end, seeing the smile on my grandfathers face when he first took me up in his Super Cub when I was 16 was the last spark I needed. Things started snowballing from there as I began learning some aviation war history from my grandpa Ted, some flying finesse from my grandpa Norm, and of course, a bottomless supply of airliner mechanical data from my Dad. Now he's finally getting his pilots license so I guess maybe you could say I hooked him!!

Great story about a whole family involved in aviation. Lucky you! (for having such an involved family)
I am the sole "crazy guy" in our extended family. :D (not that I mind)

Now go out there and hook a few more! :)
(we just reeled in another teenage girl a few weeks ago - she climbed out of the school's Traumahawk with a huge smile on her face and I told her father: "sorry for the bad news but now you gotta get a second mortgage". :D )

n843s.jpg

B.) Lets start with the initial question...a 15A landing light should not singularly take out your radios. There is an underlying problem somewhere.
I flew a rental where alternator could not give enough juice to run 2 radios and transponder on the ground. The owner had a bunch of things replaced to no avail (not sure what actually - I think that plane had voltage regulator right in the alternator). Then the factory came out with an upgraded wiring harness kit, which cured the issue. That's right - the whole harness from the buss on the other side of the firewall, to all the backs of the avionics behind the panel. It was an enormous trouble to basically rewire everything. But the problem went away completely.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back