What do you mean turn off the landing light?

I have a Continental O-470R. I am pretty sure it does not have an accelerator pump, but then, I guess I've never really looked for it.

Just ask your Dad about it, if he's a mechanic he can check the carb to make sure everything's good.

If there's anything you should trust in this world, it's that a father will take every last precaution to ensure his daughter's safety.

This is a dangerous way of thinking, I have no doubt your father will spare no expense to keep you safe but planes are mechanical and things break. If something seems like its off you should not disregard it because "Your Dad" works on it.

I have a Continental O-470R. I am pretty sure it does not have an accelerator pump, but then, I guess I've never really looked for it.

If you look you won't find it... It's internal to the carburetor. The simple explanation for how it works is that it squirts extra fuel into the carb when the throttle is advanced.

This is a dangerous way of thinking, I have no doubt your father will spare no expense to keep you safe but planes are mechanical and things break. If something seems like its off you should not disregard it because "Your Dad" works on it.

Oh goodness gracious. I preflight just like everyone else. I'm just saying, you all are trying to trouble shoot my airplane when it already has been... by a professional with a vested interest. I don't feel the need to do compression checks and oil changes every time I get in the airplane, do you? My airplane is not perfect by any means, but it is in compliance with every inspection, A/D, STC, etc, etc, etc. What more do you want out of it?

All he's trying to say: Don't ever count on anyone else to ensure your safety of flight.

Oh goodness gracious. I preflight just like everyone else. I'm just saying, you all are trying to trouble shoot my airplane when it already has been... by a professional with a vested interest. I don't feel the need to do compression checks and oil changes every time I get in the airplane, do you? My airplane is not perfect by any means, but it is in compliance with every inspection, A/D, STC, etc, etc, etc. What more do you want out of it?
I think what he was saying is that you should review the FAA guidance on hazardous attitudes (for your future reference and knowledge). That's all.

sheeeeeesh....

lesson learned... don't open up to this crowd.

My throttle stumbled once too. I didn't do an emergency landing. I also had advanced it too quickly.

Yikes. All Rachel is saying is that her father is looking out for her better than just any anonymous mechanic. And she still does her own preflight. Sounds like good logic to me.

Now move on, people, and go fly. It is a gorgeous day outside and I am stuck behind a keyboard at work, dammit.

A "backfire" is actually just that: a fire back through the induction system, not the exhaust. Commonly caused by mixtures that are too lean or too rich. An "afterfire" is what most people call a backfire. Afterfiring is in the exhaust system and can indeed cause a pile of damage.

Opening the throttle too quickly is bad for two reasons: it upsets the mixture ratio and can cause misfiring issues, or it can cause brief detonation, which is something we should avoid. That heavy propeller takes time to accelerate, and in the meantime the pistons are travelling slowly enough to allow detonation time to happen if the pressures get high enough.

Well, the current version of WikiPedia disagrees with you:
A back-fire or backfire is combustion or an explosion produced by a running internal combustion engine that occurs in the air intake or exhaust system rather than inside the combustion chamber.
Of course this is far from conclusive, depending on their sources. Do you have a reliable source stating that "backfire" is only on the induction side?

dead_horse.gif

If the POH talks about pumping the throttle during cranking, you have an accelerator pump. Most, but not all, carburetors do.

I've had older 182s stumble on application of throttle very quickly, and it caused me to convert a T&G to a full stop (reflex).

I'd suggest taking pains to ensure that doesn't happen, if for no other reason than to not scare passengers.

Well I do believe y'all have beat this to death, just saying....:rolleyes2::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another one to the Colorado POA list! Are you based at FTG?

Sure am, how about you? And what is this Colorado list you speak of?

Just referring to that there's a bunch of us "here".

Never had a O-470 "backfire" unless it was operated improperly. Pushing up the throttle too fast for takeoff, especially at our DA, with mixture set wrong... is one possibility. Smoooth...

Yeah, the motto of quite a few here is:

attachment.php

LOL...

The reality is nobody ever has to be "offended". It's a receiver problem, not a transmitter problem. Just tune to where the objectionable noise isn't...

If you Google "backfire afterfire" you run into a whole lot of links like this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724076

Your link is to some forum with a bunch of guys discussing things, not a reliable source. For me, regarding language, a dictionary is the most reliable, and Oxford is among the best, as is Google Defs.
I am quite sure that the term "afterfire" exists, except I don't think it's caught on in the language. And when it comes to spoken/written language, it's common use that dictates the meaning.

Please to stop the dictionary talk! Of not interest!

Rachel I request you to place pink cushions on the mine brown couch. :D

They won't quit until you stop flying and get your barefeet in the kitchen! :lol:

Pregnant, you forget pregnant, LOL.

So a backfire when throttling up, might startle me, but could be due to ramming the throttle in some planes.

Backfiring during the takeoff roll after you've been at full power for a few moments screams of something wrong to me, just saying.

Your link is to some forum with a bunch of guys discussing things, not a reliable source. For me, regarding language, a dictionary is the most reliable, and Oxford is among the best, as is Google Defs.
I am quite sure that the term "afterfire" exists, except I don't think it's caught on in the language. And when it comes to spoken/written language, it's common use that dictates the meaning.

Try these, then:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=9T...v=onepage&q=engine backfire afterfire&f=false

https://books.google.ca/books?id=JN...v=onepage&q=engine backfire afterfire&f=false

Or you can argue with the textbooks such as FAA AC 65-12A, A&P Mechanics Powerplant Handbook. Pages 445 and 446:

Backfiring
When a fuel/air mixture does not contain enough fuel to consume all the oxygen, it is called a lean mixture. Conversely, a charge that contains more fuel than required is called a rich mixture. An extremely lean mixture either will not burn at all or will burn so slowly that combustion is not complete at the end of the exhaust stroke. The flame lingers in the cylinder and then ignites the contents in the intake manifold or the induction system when the intake valve opens. This causes an explosion known as backfiring. which can damage the carburetor and other parts of the induction system.

Afterfiring
Afterfiring, sometimes called afterburning, often results when the fuel/air mixture is too rich. Overly rich mixtures are also slow burning. Therefore, charges of unburned fuel are present in the exhaust- ed gases. Air from outside the exhaust stacks mixes with this unburned fuel which ignites. This causes an explosion in the exhaust system. Afterfiring is perhaps more common where long exhaust ducting retains greater amounts of unburned charges. As in the case of backfiring, the correction for after- firing is the proper adjustment of the fuel/air mixture.
Afterfiring can also be caused by cylinders which are not firing because of faulty spark plug, defective fuel-injection nozzles, or incorrect valve clear ance. The unburned mixture from these dead cylinders passes into the exhaust system, where it ignites and burns. Unfortunatelv, the resultant torching or afterburning can easily be mistaken for evidence of a rich carburetor. Cylinders which are firing intermittently can cause a similar effect. Again, the malfunction can be remedied only by discovering the real cause and correcting the defect. Either dead or intermittent cylinders can be located by the cold cylinder check.

Last edited:
Try these, then:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=9T...v=onepage&q=engine backfire afterfire&f=false

https://books.google.ca/books?id=JN...v=onepage&q=engine backfire afterfire&f=false

Or you can argue with the textbooks such as FAA AC 65-12A, A&P Mechanics Powerplant Handbook. Pages 445 and 446:

Backfiring
When a fuel/air mixture does not contain enough fuel to consume all the oxygen, it is called a lean mixture. Conversely, a charge that contains more fuel than required is called a rich mixture. An extremely lean mixture either will not burn at all or will burn so slowly that combustion is not complete at the end of the exhaust stroke. The flame lingers in the cylinder and then ignites the contents in the intake manifold or the induction system when the intake valve opens. This causes an explosion known as backfiring. which can damage the carburetor and other parts of the induction system.

Afterfiring
Afterfiring, sometimes called afterburning, often results when the fuel/air mixture is too rich. Overly rich mixtures are also slow burning. Therefore, charges of unburned fuel are present in the exhaust- ed gases. Air from outside the exhaust stacks mixes with this unburned fuel which ignites. This causes an explosion in the exhaust system. Afterfiring is perhaps more common where long exhaust ducting retains greater amounts of unburned charges. As in the case of backfiring, the correction for after- firing is the proper adjustment of the fuel/air mixture.
Afterfiring can also be caused by cylinders which are not firing because of faulty spark plug, defective fuel-injection nozzles, or incorrect valve clear ance. The unburned mixture from these dead cylinders passes into the exhaust system, where it ignites and burns. Unfortunatelv, the resultant torching or afterburning can easily be mistaken for evidence of a rich carburetor. Cylinders which are firing intermittently can cause a similar effect. Again, the malfunction can be remedied only by discovering the real cause and correcting the defect. Either dead or intermittent cylinders can be located by the cold cylinder check.

How about these then?
https://books.google.com/books?id=J...6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=backfire exhaust&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=7...exhaust&pg=PA404#v=onepage&q=backfire&f=false

I am sure there are plenty more...
The point is, it's a language issue, not a mathematical theorem, and it seems to be very common (in both everyday use and technical texts) to refer to exhaust manifold explosions as "backfire", probably more so than "afterfire".

For the last time, it was not a backfire, thanks anyway.
It might not be a bad idea to go back and edit your original post so that every time someone new reads it, they don't jump on the "backfire" aspect before reading all successive posts.

It might not be a bad idea to go back and edit your original post so that every time someone new reads it, they don't jump on the "backfire" aspect before reading all successive posts.

Bad idea. Then we won't have the posterity of how we all met Rachel.

Rachel meet POA. POA meet Rachel.

Actually compared to April's thread I think she has been treated well. People are just trying to help for the most part.

Yeah because an anonymous poster calling people names is someohow less idiotic:)
From the top of the page...

Posts made anonymously in response to such posts will be deleted unless the content of the response requires anonymity.

Idiots posting harassing messages don't require anonymity. The post was deleted.

Hi Rachel,

I have daughters coming up on your age in a few years. Clearly your dad was successful at getting you hooked on this flying disease. If you don't mind sharing, how did he do it ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back