What do you listen to??

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
When you are on a long trip, what's in your music system? We like to keep some classical music low in the background. It seems to fit really well with flying and enjoying the scenery below.

Listen to whatever is on the XM Radio. Sometimes comedy/sometimes 80's. Listened to "Airplane" movie through the headset last time. :) (Someone had it on their iPhone or some Android device.

I like to play gangsta rap. E40, Spice 1, Too $hort, Dr. Dre, Tupac...

XM if I am in the mood, or a cheap AM/FM radio to listen to local talk shows. Kinda fun to eaves drop on new communities and see what their take is on current events.

Actually I do listen to AM talk radio sometimes. An ADF is good for something still.

Well since I don't fly myself just yet I can only guess what I'd like to listen to. When I'm on my motorcycle I prefer not to listen to any music, and instead get lost in my own thoughts while enjoying the sounds of the engine and wind. If I do listen to music, like when I'm driving or flying commercially (ugh!) it's a mix of metal and country and 80's rock. Sirius/XM's comedy channel is good on long nighttime trips.

I have my iPad playlist of my 300 favorite songs pumped through the intercom.

Well since I don't fly myself just yet I can only guess what I'd like to listen to. When I'm on my motorcycle I prefer not to listen to any music, and instead get lost in my own thoughts while enjoying the sounds of the engine and wind. If I do listen to music, like when I'm driving or flying commercially (ugh!) it's a mix of metal and country and 80's rock. Sirius/XM's comedy channel is good on long nighttime trips.

On a long motorcycle trip, I'll wear noise blocking earbud phones for hearing protection alone, and stream Pandora through the Iphone.

When you are on a long trip, what's in your music system? We like to keep some classical music low in the background. It seems to fit really well with flying and enjoying the scenery below.

Hmmm..

I listen to my motor and all the other components that can kill me if they fail...:yes::eek:.

One thing I cannot stand is music blaring in through a headset. It's one of those things that I scratch my head at when I see people doing it, nothing about it is appealing to me and I have no idea why people would do it. Sitting, standing, walking, driving or flying.

One thing I cannot stand is music blaring in through a headset. It's one of those things that I scratch my head at when I see people doing it, nothing about it is appealing to me and I have no idea why people would do it. Sitting, standing, walking, driving or flying.

:D Blaring, agreed.

Hence the "low in the background" part. In a twin if you can hear the problem you should have felt it long ago.

Agreed.... To a point.......

Some failures are catastrophic...

On the racetrack, I have had a perfectly good motor kick out a rod, , without a hint of warning... Spotter called and asked what happened... my response was.. " oil pan failure..... it failed just as the rod and crank put a fist sized hole through it" ..:eek::eek::hairraise:..

I am used to hearing a motor twisted up tight for hours on end... My experimental is no different.. Probably the main reason I went this route for a powerplant choice..... I LOVE the sound of a V-8..:yes::yes::wink2:.

As for tunes,, I prefer the Chris Daughtry mix on Pandora.. In fact , I am rocking out to it right now.:wink2::wink2::)

I'm just a student, but I can't imagine listening to music or anything else other than ATC while flying. I guess that would come with confidence.

My wife listens to XM, but I usually just listen to ATC and enjoy the views.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Music. Heh. Seriously. I'll listen to anything.

I do miss live baseball games on the ADF but since it was pulled for being naughty and we got a few pounds back, oh well.

Agreed.... To a point.......

Some failures are catastrophic...

On the racetrack, I have had a perfectly good motor kick out a rod, , without a hint of warning... Spotter called and asked what happened... my response was.. " oil pan failure..... it failed just as the rod and crank put a fist sized hole through it" ..:eek::eek::hairraise:..

I am used to hearing a motor twisted up tight for hours on end... My experimental is no different.. Probably the main reason I went this route for a powerplant choice..... I LOVE the sound of a V-8..:yes::yes::wink2:.

As for tunes,, I prefer the Chris Daughtry mix on Pandora.. In fact , I am rocking out to it right now.:wink2::wink2::)

I hear you, a 90* V8 has a certain harmonic to it at 4200 that is just settling to me, full stride and relaxed settled in for the long haul hum. Music while flying is annoying to me because I have to deal with ATC and there is no digital select calling yet and most flights and use FF on most of my Enroute flying which means I have to listen for my call sign all the time. To me low background music doesn't cut it lol, and I hate being in the middle of the good part and having to deal with ATC, annoys the crap outta me, so I just listen to my plane, the IO-470 has some good geometry to it.

Music while flying is annoying to me because I have to deal with ATC and there is no digital select calling yet and most flights and use FF on most of my Enroute flying which means I have to listen for my call sign all the time. To me low background music doesn't cut it lol, and I hate being in the middle of the good part and having to deal with ATC, annoys the crap outta me, so I just listen to my plane, the IO-470 has some good geometry to it.
I know what you mean. The only place I have really found my self in the habit of listening to music while flying is on long x-countries in the southwest. If it is VFR, I tend to fly below 10k and doing that in most places across northern AZ, NM, UT and CO, there isn't much to be gained by FF since you are below radar coverage.

ATC calls

Sounds about right.

I have never flown a plane with an ADF and I hope I never do. What a waste of panel space in today's world.

There's some airports around here where an ADF approach is what you have available if you don't have GPS. And 3 of the 4 planes in our club don't have GPS. Of course, the ADF is dead in one of the others. :D

ATC calls

+1. Music is a distraction for me. Even driving I seldom have music going. If I do it's typically classic rock in the summer, country in the fall/winter.

ATC, the engine, and the snoring of my passengers. Not necessarily in that order.

XM or a random sampling of the 5000+ songs on the iPad but only when flying solo. I don't find it distracting at all.

Passengers can be far more distracting than music so I don't do both.

Sounds about right.

There's some airports around here where an ADF approach is what you have available if you don't have GPS. And 3 of the 4 planes in our club don't have GPS. Of course, the ADF is dead in one of the others. :D

This is also true in the great plains areas of Nebraska, SD, ND, KS, WY, MT. these are areas that I fly. Not all airports have GPS, but they still have NDB's, It sure would be nice to have GPS approaches into all airports but most airports in these areas don't even have any people working there.

XM, or I just plug in my iPod and let it do the random thing....

XM or a random sampling of the 5000+ songs on the iPad but only when flying solo. I don't find it distracting at all.

Passengers can be far more distracting than music so I don't do both.

It doesn't distract me so much as annoy me, I enjoy music and I hate the interruptions.

"The Bridge" on the XM is usually our sound.

I like almost anything. as of late my preference has been post rock like this

Of Course D.W. has to watch music videos while he is flying.
What next, an HD projector outside the plane to cast it on the clouds while IFR?
:rofl:

Something we used to do while sailing was to blast the pirates of the caribbean sound track in the boat when the wind picks up. :rofl: makes the experience feel epic

Back