What do you keep in your flight bag(s)

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Ok so I was wondering what kind of stuff do you keep in your flight bag(s)?

Right now I have my headset, logbook, sectional, logbook, medical/student certificate (in my logbook holder of course) and gum.

food is nice for long trips, and water, especially if you are going to be above 3 or 4000 feet, id say. sectionals are always a good idea, and that E6B for when you are wondering what your true airspeed and the winds aloft are.

My bag is usually full of:

Current sectionals
Current AFD
Many many many Expired Sectionals
about 6 expired AFDs
Dog biscuits, mostly crushed
Plotter and E6B
Fuel Tester
edit: I forgot I carry flashlights
I need to add some useful stuff. I just don't know what.

Last edited:
Flight bag? What flight bag? I carried one for years, then a year or two ago I decided I wasn't using anything in it. I stash one headset in the plane I fly the most and carry another one around in my hand if I decide I'm going to use it in the other planes which, incidentally, only had intercoms installed recently. :dunno:

I should probably add that all charts and things that are legally supposed to be in the airplane are provided for us and stay with the plane.

Last edited:
Sectionals
A/FD
IFR planning chart
L-charts
SIAP books
Pens/pencils
E-6B and plotter
Handheld comm and GPS
Signal mirror
AF-issue kneeboard and 5x8 legal pads
Headset/handheld adapter
Leatherman tool

Headset goes in its own bag

I carry 2 headsets, GPS, Handheld radio, charts, foggles, flashlights, batteries, 2 packs of peanut-butter crackers and a S&W 40cal automatic pistol.

oh and brook quite seriously carrying some sort of survival gear is a good idea. Just think of what it would take to walk out of whatever terrain you are flying over. will make you think twice about that cross country in a shorts and flip flops. in the wintertime take warm clothese etc.

I keep a km/hr to kts and mph conversion chart in mine.

On top of the usual stuff (headset, charts, AIP, etc...) I carry quite a lot of survival gear.
I worked as a flight paramedic in West Africa for a few years - if you survive a crash and don't have proper survival training and equipment - you won't last in the jungle...
Since that period, I became acutely aware of what it takes to survive in a hostile environment...

I read several stories ( http://www.equipped.com/ ) about pilots who succesfully managed to perform an emergency landing only to die later from dehydration / hypothermia. Some of these folks were only 20 miles from civilization...

If you think that the CAP will find you presto once you land between spruce trees - think again ! Some pilots have not been found to this day !

So here is the list of the survival items I carry in a Nomex mesh vest:

1. Life vest (attached to the survival mesh vest) - never use an automatically inflatable model - it will get you trapped in the cockpit when ditching !

2. Emergency Strobe (ACR) + spare lithium batteries

3. Aviation transceiver in waterproof pouch + spare batteries (always freshly charged)

4. Signal mirror (USAF model)

5. 406MHz EPIRB (Cospass Sarsat Emergency Beacon)- ACR Model

6. Leatherman tool

7. waterproof matches in cannister + lighter

8. first aid kit including: bloodstopper bandage , kerlix gauze roll, silicone tourniquet (large Israeli Army model) for hemorrhage control, 4 X 4 gauze pads, band-aids, sunscreen, balm lipstick, mosquito repellent, iodine solution, aspirine and triangular bandage + a few safety pins.

9. Compact LED flashlight + spare batteries.

10. Small Heat Packs (x4)

11. Water sachets (250 ml x 2)

12. Whistle (Fox 40 )

13. Compass

14. Survival knife (USAF model)

15. Foldable hat.

16. Water Purification Tablets

17. Emergency "Space" sleeping bag

18. McGyver tape (flat pack)

19. Large garbage bags X 2

20. Garmin Gecko GPS + spare batteries

21. Spare socks

22. Rain Poncho (very small when folded)

On top of all that I also carry some survival items in my flight bag...

Edited: I forgot to mention that I sometimes carry my trusty old HP35 (9mm) (especially when the flight takes place near the border...)

Last edited:
Way too much!

Currently - Three headsets, A/FD's for 3-4 different areas, a ton of sectionals and L-charts, area charts, one WAC, a few TACs, an east/west planning chart, approach plates for several states, a handheld transceiver, a couple of POH's, my logbook, an IFR Flight File with my personal checklists and some blank Jepp flight plan forms in the back, my Autel QuickClamp, three flashlights, batteries, Gaston's 2005 Landing Judge pencils, three pads of the Sporty's ATIS notes, a nice metal E6B, an IFR plotter, a yoke clip that I never use, a ton of already-flown flight plans and notes, and God only knows what else.

I need to clean this thing!

My headset rides in its own bag, but the rest of my stuff is in my flight bag.

Currently, that consists of:
* Current NY Sectional
* Current NY TAC
* Low-alt IFR/VFR Planning Chart
* Expired Hi/Lo-alt Jepp enroute charts that I only use for reference
* Pen and pencil
* Logbook
* AOPA Airport Directory
* Sporty's ATIS Pad
* Sticky Pads (about 3)
* 3 erasable highlighters (that don't work well at all)
* NASA ASRS report forms
* Current FAR/AIM
* Sporty's Electronic E6B
* Sectional plotter
* Two Cessna 172 and 152 checklists (4 in all) from 2 different companies
* A flight-school C172M checklist
* Current NE AF/D
* Cross-country planning sheets (2 different kinds)

Is that enough stuff?!? :dunno:

One forty-five caliber automatic
Two boxes of ammunition
Four days' concentrated emergency rations
One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
One hundred dollars in rubles
One hundred dollars in gold
Nine packs of chewing gum
One issue of prophylactics
Three lipsticks
Three pair of nylon stockings

Anthony said:
One forty-five caliber automatic
Two boxes of ammunition
Four days' concentrated emergency rations
One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
One hundred dollars in rubles
One hundred dollars in gold
Nine packs of chewing gum
One issue of prophylactics
Three lipsticks
Three pair of nylon stockings
Darn it, you beat me too it!!!

But I'll bet you could have a good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Last edited:
Flight bag? We doan need no stinkin' flight bag!

And if we did, there's no place to put one in an R22!

And if there were a place for one, it'd be a real bear to try to fly a helicopter, go grubbing around in a bag for an E6B, play with it and try to avoid getting upside down while you were playing with it :hairraise:

More or less I have the following:

Headset
GPS
Some charts may or may not be expired

That's pretty much it. If I need other things for the flight that I am making I'll bring it. But I don't see the point in carrying around all kinds of crap just to do a few landings in the pattern.

The more I fly..The less crap I tend to have in my bag.

Sectionals, AF/D, writing utensils, GPS update card. Everything else stays in the plane, or is in a separate bag.

Among other things: fuel tester, one of those neat plastic dipsticks for the Skyhawk I fly most often, flashlights, VFR flight logs, pens, highlighters, gps, handheld nav/comm, A/FD, Flight Guide, sectionals and Philly TAC, first aid kit, space blanket, sick sacs, "porta-potties," an electronic E6B which sees exceedingly rare useage, some other odds and ends. Actually weighed it Saturday, it comes out to 12 pounds.

Headset
IFR plotter (Jep)
VFR plotter
Extra check list
Approach plates
lap board and paper
pencils, higlighters
blank flight logs
lots of flashlights
E6B (Metal)
E6B (electronic)
Dead batteries
Handheld radio
Cat fur
piddle pack
bottle of water

Ken Ibold said:
see, I happen to have the only Pitts in the world with a built-in cupholder.
Does the liquid stay in the cup when you do a roll? ;)

Diana said:
Depends on if it realizes it's upside down or not. Kind of like in cartoons when characters run off a cliff and keep going until they figure out they should be falling ...

I learned the hard way after spending a night on an unmanned platform 80 miles offshore that I needed to have a few extra things in my flightbag. Of course I have the usual, sectionals, gulf chart, Jepps, kneeboard, pens and mechanical pencils, leatherman, 2 flashlights and 2 sets of extra batteries, ops manual and freq. cards, but these are the things I added:

3 packs of peanut butter crackers
bottled water
1 pair clean underwear and socks
Overnight kit with mini size deodorant, soap, toothbrush and comb
hair tie
paperback book to pass the time - currently Turn Right at Orion
moist towelettes
chap stick and sunscreen
extra pair of cheap sunglasses - lost a pair off a platform once and sucked flying home with nothing.
rain poncho

All my survival gear is in my life vest and includes an EPIRB, signal light and mirror, motion sick pills, barf bag, whistle, etc. and our life rafts contain a full range of survival gear as well.

Two headsets
portable nav/com
GPS
aircraft key
watch/timer (I don't wear a watch)
flashlight
leatherman
current sectional
two baseball type hats
two sets of small light weight chocks
reading glasses
sunglasses
current airport and taxiway diagram of any airport I may visit
extra batteries
more batteries - fortunatly all of my portable electronics use the same size as the flashlight.

Garmin 196 with accessories
AFD's
Sectionals
Clip board
Red flashlight
White flashlight
Fast acting glucose (tabs and liquid)
Glucometer with extra lancets and test strips
E6B
Spare batteries for GPS and headset
Pistol (where legal of course)
Knee board
Peanut butter crackers
Empty Gatorade bottle (if you have to ask, please don't :D )
2 headsets
Calculator
Numerous pens/pencils
Plotter
That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Diana said:

Bob Hoover would take a dixie cup full of water, place it on a small platform above the instrument panel during his performances in the Shrike Commander, and not spill a drop.

smigaldi said:
Darn it, you beat me too it!!!

But I'll bet you could have a good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Scott,

Good to know great minds think alike. :)

Laurie said:
I learned the hard way after spending a night on an unmanned platform 80 miles offshore that I needed to have a few extra things in my flightbag. Of course I have the usual, sectionals, gulf chart, Jepps, kneeboard, pens and mechanical pencils, leatherman, 2 flashlights and 2 sets of extra batteries, ops manual and freq. cards, but these are the things I added:

3 packs of peanut butter crackers
bottled water
1 pair clean underwear and socks
Overnight kit with mini size deodorant, soap, toothbrush and comb
hair tie
paperback book to pass the time - currently Turn Right at Orion
moist towelettes
chap stick and sunscreen
extra pair of cheap sunglasses - lost a pair off a platform once and sucked flying home with nothing.
rain poncho

All my survival gear is in my life vest and includes an EPIRB, signal light and mirror, motion sick pills, barf bag, whistle, etc. and our life rafts contain a full range of survival gear as well.

What? No lipstick or nylons? No .45? Hmmmm.

:D

Anthony said:
What? No lipstick or nylons? No .45? Hmmmm.

:D

Don't wear lipstick - coconut lip gloss is as close as I get and I can count on one hand the times in my entire life I have worn nylons which directly corresponds to the number of times I've been in a dress. I do own a dress, actually 2, but spending all one's time at airports doesn't lend itself to getting 'gussied up'. Unfortunately PHI's policy is no firearms, not even in the trunk of your car in the parking lot. I don't know how to use one anyway so it's really ok. I can do some damage wtih a leatherman, if need be and I do have pepper spray in my vest.

I'm really curious as to why you have lipstick and nylons in your flight bag, or maybe not. :goofy:

As a student pilot....LOTS of stuff!

Almost all of what a lot of other people mentioned:

sectional
my own POH
current FAR/AIM
E6B
palm pilot with co-pilot as a backup/check to my hand work
water
flashlight
protractor and rule
AOPA airport directory
etc.

Hmm, it's kind of heavy these days...

- AF/D
- Flight Guide (I know, repetitive and heavy if you have an AF/D)
- leatherman
- VFR sectionals/TAC's for +/- 200mi
- kneeboard
- pens and pencils
- AOPA ruler
- headset or 2, now that I have a flight bag that can carry them
- logbook (I know I shouldn't, since I have online backup, but for now that's where the ....)
- pilot license & medical (....reside)
- plotter
- E6B (aluminum)
- G396 + XM antenna
- spare water bottle & cereal bar

Just wait 'til I get my IR. Then I'll have to figure out how to deal with plates!

Laurie said:
Don't wear lipstick - coconut lip gloss is as close as I get and I can count on one hand the times in my entire life I have worn nylons which directly corresponds to the number of times I've been in a dress. I do own a dress, actually 2, but spending all one's time at airports doesn't lend itself to getting 'gussied up'. Unfortunately PHI's policy is no firearms, not even in the trunk of your car in the parking lot.

I already like you!

I'm really curious as to why you have lipstick and nylons in your flight bag, or maybe not. :goofy:

Just in case I get shot down over occupied Europe. You know to "trade" with the local women. ;)

Just in case I get shot down over occupied Europe. You know to "trade" with the local women. ;)[/QUOTE]

Snarf! I just spewed soda all over my computer screen!

Laurie said:
Just in case I get shot down over occupied Europe. You know to "trade" with the local women. ;)

One must be prepared. Chocolates, nylons and lipstick do come in handy. ;)

Last edited:
Laurie said:
Anthony said:
Apparently Laurie doesn't recognize the source of the survival kit inventory quoted above. For her benefit, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove for the full story. Also, if you read lips, Maj. Kong originally said "Dallas," not "Vegas," but someone thought it would be more acceptable to equate Sin City than Dallas with the equipment in that kit.

Headset
VFR plotter
Check list
Approach plates
Paper

Toilet paper
Pencils, highlighter
Blank flight logs
2 flashlights
E6B (Metal)
E6B (electronic)

New batteries
Dead batteries
Cat hair

2 bottle of water
Key to the airplane
6x10 kneeboard

Wally World plastic bags (air sick bags)
GPS
Sectionals
A/FD

Ron Levy said:
Apparently Laurie doesn't recognize the source of the survival kit inventory quoted above. For her benefit, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove for the full story. Also, if you read lips, Maj. Kong originally said "Dallas," not "Vegas," but someone thought it would be more acceptable to equate Sin City than Dallas with the equipment in that kit.

Ahhh yes Ron, I long for the Cold War and the early 60's......

Back