What do you do once you land? for transportation?

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
Hi, I dont have a ppl yet, but I was wondering what you guys do for transportation once you land?

Thanks

B

You don't. You just eat some crap from a vending machine, drink some stale, burnt coffee, then get back in the plane and fly home.

Crew car, fold up bike, taxi, bum a ride from the line guys for beer, walk

If I'm there for less than 2 hrs, crew car. If I'm there for more than that or an overnight (RON), then rental car.

Hi, I dont have a ppl yet, but I was wondering what you guys do for transportation once you land?

Thanks

B

Almost all small airports have courtesy cars you can borrow.

Really, did not know that. Do you have to call ahead and reserve or just land and ask to use the car for a bit?
Most FBO's want you to call ahead and reserve it, especially if its a busy weekend.

Really, did not know that. Do you have to call ahead and reserve or just land and ask to use the car for a bit?

One airport I often visit for lunch has 4 cars so on any given day, there is likely to be one. 24 hrs a day, you land, sign the car out, and bring it back. They are very trusting.

2 Weeks ago was heading to a different airport and I called ahead and they said they had 2 cars and it was first come first serve. I was going Sat at noon so I made sure I could make arrangements for a cab ahead of time.

Landed and both cars were available.

Once you get your PPL you will also learn where all the airports are that have food in the form of a restaurant in the terminal or walking distance.

Great question by the way. I always kind of wondered what I would do once I could fly with regard to getting from the airport to my destination. It's not in the PTS ;)

Thanks

B

I have a large (11 x 17) sign, neatly lettered and folded up in my map bag. On one side it says:

"PILOT TO TOWN"

and on the other

"PILOT TO AIRPORT"

Rarely do I wait more than 5-10 minutes for a ride when I stand at the road going past the airport holding the sign.

Rental cars, crew cars, clients' cars, hotel shuttles, public transportation, you name it, depending on location and circumstances.

But sometimes it's lunch from the vending machine.

Thanks

B

Sold my car so I can fly......I walk home now...or ride my bicycle if the tire isnt flat...if I pick up a thorn on the way to the airport my cost per hour skyrockets!!!:fcross:

Thanks

B

Usually rent a car, if it's just brief I may use a crew car, if I'm just overnighting the hotel courtesy shuttle, and if I'm visiting friends, they come pick me up.

Almost all small airports have courtesy cars you can borrow.

Not true. In certain parts of the country they are more common. Basically, the more desirerable the destination, the less likely there are going to be courtesy/crew cars. When they aren't available, taxis, rentals, or walking are typical. Some places even have bikes for use.

You don't. You just eat some crap from a vending machine, drink some stale, burnt coffee, then get back in the plane and fly home.
You clearly haven't been to Million Air at ALB:D. They give you a Mecedes E class crew car (I hear now it's a BMW) and their facility is amazing.

Do some of them have loaner bikes or just cars?

You clearly haven't been to Million Air at ALB:D. They give you a Mecedes E class crew car (I hear now it's a BMW) and their facility is amazing.

What is there worth driving to in Albany?:lol:

I have gotten that treatment at Million Air in KADS
They are proud of it though.

Plan ahead. Jeanene and I could always, and that is always, find an airport in which we could walk to hotels, restaurants, etc., or they had the free overnight use of a courtesy car.

Most FBOs maintain one or more courtesy cars available to use for a few hours or some don't mind if you use it all day. If you need something for longer they usually prefer that you rent a car and they'll likely line one up for you. Keep in mind that quite often the FBO has an agreement with the rental car place to rent at a discount so it'll be cheaper than if you deal directly.
Small airports with no FBO sometimes have a courtesy car but usually don't.

If no courtesy car or bike (which many airports have) there's the electric skateboard.

Attachments

• Skateboard Plane.jpg
    Skateboard Plane.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 62
Usually rent a car, if it's just brief I may use a crew car, if I'm just overnighting the hotel courtesy shuttle, and if I'm visiting friends, they come pick me up.
:yeahthat:
Helps to have a really good corporate rate.

If I'm just making a fuel stop or other non-destination stop, I just ask for help and generally get better than expected.

Just spent a couple days at KCDK Cedar Keys FL for no particular reason. The V-ibis cabin we wanted wasn't available. Ended up in a 2 BR house for a few $$ less. Turned out to be very short (suitcase luggable) walk from rwy 23. Had to taxii to other end to park. Airnav and others listed golf cart rentals. We winged it and found 2 beater bikes were included for rides to town along with 2 kayaks for launching out of front yard. Nice quiet visit to a well situated airport with perfect wx in off-season.

Tip for those with a TWIC card, present them as your ID at hotels, I get some wicked discounts.

Tip for those with a TWIC card, present them as your ID at hotels, I get some wicked discounts.
That sounds handy.

Something that may not be obvious to us pleasure-only fliers is that just about any FBO has pilot-rate hotel rooms available at nearby hotels, sometimes even on the other side of town. I've found those rates generally beat anything else I can find and sometimes trump 'sold-out' situations.

Call the FBO in advance and ask. May be awkward for a 5 days stay by a family of 4 but never for an overnight stay by 2.

All good advice, unless I know the FBO and airport, I normally call ahead. It only takes a couple minutes and they will answer any questions, including fees, charges, fuel pricing and transportation options. Don't be shy about asking, most FBO's have some type of loaner car, some a shiny new BMW's, but most are 15-30 year old sedans or minivans that no one ever wants to steal! :D Cabs are always an option and Uber is good in many metro areas. ;)

Hotel shuttle or walk to hotel for overnight. For lunch stop,crew car or on airport diner ,or short walk. Or bike if available.

I have a large (11 x 17) sign, neatly lettered and folded up in my map bag. On one side it says:
"PILOT TO TOWN" and on the other "PILOT TO AIRPORT"

Rarely do I wait more than 5-10 minutes for a ride when I stand at the road going past the airport holding the sign.

This is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Some hotels will pick up and some FBOs will call ahead and tell them to give the "pilot" or "stranded traveler" rate. And it can be huge -- almost half price $64 vs $115, in one case for us.

Last edited:
I called a FBO a week ahead of time to arrange a rental. When I arraived, they had, in fact, secured me a HERTZ rental. It was, in fact, parked at a different airport. After altering my plans a bit, I got the car and was on my way.
Another time, I "borrowed" the crew car which turned out to be a brand new HERTZ.
I've had the FBO drop me and my PAX off at a restaurant. I've had a cab, a rental, and another pilot.
In general, I would rather a rental (at a reasonable amount) than anything. That way, if I ding it, it's covered. It gives me the freedom of going where and when I want.

In Palm Springs, they let you do this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I remember the crew car back when I worked at Princeton Airport back in the late 70s. It was a beat to death chevy Vega Wagon with a barely working transmission. They fueled it from the avgas truck.

About 1970, my Dad a friend of his and myself flew on a Saturday from Richland Wa to Twisp or Winthrop for the day to go fly fishing. We landed got out of the plane and i'm scratching my head wondering how we're getting from the airport to the creek and he starts looking around, he walks over to an old car, starts looking around for a key, finds the key starts the car and says get the gear. I'm thinking WTF Dad your stealing the car, and he says no we're not we're just borrowing it. I'm thinking he's crazy and he says we will bring it a back with a tank full of gas and who ever owns it will be happy. I was just 11yrs old and it took awhile to get over it. Been laughing about it ever since.:rofl:

Back