What do you do for a living?

My board name says it all. Work out of XFL in a fire department Astar 350B3.

Last edited:
Engineering, Mechanical design, fabrication and product sales. I run a Muffler Shoppe.

"On May 14, 2005 an AS350 B3 piloted by Eurocopter test pilot Didier Delsalle touched down on the top of Mt. Everest, at 8,850 metres (29,035 feet).[3] This record has been confirmed by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale."

:yikes:
"(2002) A new altitude record for turbine-powered single engine helicopters was set by the French pilot Fred North. With an AS 350 B2 Ecureuil he recently climbed to 42,500 ft MSL (12,954m) near Cape Town, South Africa." (src)

Recently emerged from an extended retirement after 20 yrs in the nuclear power business to run a small foundation that includes an aviation history museum and a collection of flying aircraft as well as sponsoring a biennial airshow. www.southernheritageair.org is the website and I've been updating it as time permits, but it still needs lots of work to get it where it needs to be.

Chemist that is involved in design, testing, and marketing lab equipment, instrumentation, & digital imaging products for this company. Worked in the pharma industry before this and a couple of lab equipment companies.

I am a grower of Crops, otherwise known as a Farmer.

Computer Programmer for a computer telephony company

I am a cellist and music instructor at a few colleges.

I have a Dental Lab and make teeth about 30hrs a week. I then do my other job building airplanes. I finished a Super Cub last year and am finishing a RV7 for a guy. Have to repair an N3N wing and have another Super Cub build coming in a couple of months. Pretty soon I won't have time for the lab. Damn. Don

Recently emerged from an extended retirement after 20 yrs in the nuclear power business to run a small foundation that includes an aviation history museum and a collection of flying aircraft as well as sponsoring a biennial airshow. www.southernheritageair.org is the website and I've been updating it as time permits, but it still needs lots of work to get it where it needs to be.

WAY TO COME OUT OF THE SHADOWS, STEVE!

That, sir, sounds outstanding! We can't wait to see and read more about it!

---

As for me, I pale by comparison.

I am a lawyer, representing (predominantly) businesses in the commercial construction trades.

Currently an IT geek, working as a contractor to the Federal Government. I've got a wide range of technical skills, but where I seem to bring the most value is in asking the same questions over and over in slightly different ways until the issue under discussion is fully understood.

End result is that the problems I solve tend to stay solved for a long time with minimum unintended consequences.

Outside of work, I fly and teach when I can, do safety stuff as a FAASTeam lead, and push my Miata to (and sometimes past) the edges of its envelope in autocross. And I'm a Girl Scout.

Planner for large aviation engineering/architecture/planning company. Got to do the first commercial spaceport master plan, worked on pilot programs for the FAA's safety management system protocols for commercial airports, and then do more mundane stuff like airport master plans and ALPs.

Former aviation magazine editor. Author of a couple of aviation books (click the link below!) and one in the works that is not aviation related. And serial entrepreneur on various spare-time efforts to create a business of value as well provide a creative outlet.

7th grade history teacher. Any other teachers out there?

I had a friend that taught middle school history that said "Whoever said there is no such thing as a dumb question never taught middle school history".

But I will say, this instructor gig beats the heck out of working. Where else can you get paid to play with Legos?

:rofl:

I'm a financial guy who went wrong and ended up at the airport. After a career in securities and investment banking, interim CEO work and owning a few businesses of my own, my consulting practice drifted into aviation-related work. For the past 20-odd years the engagements have consisted primarily of acquisition representation, appraisal/valuation, and general ownership problem issues.

Along the way I picked up a few type ratings and flew some bigger airplanes, but never did really like flying somebody else around on their schedule vs doing things on my schedule.

Geologist...well, sort of. Currently just a lowly graduate student dredging through research and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But, I like the research and it's an easy gig so I can't complain. Also a sort-of teacher, if teaching assistant counts. I'm in charge of 2 sections of intro geology lab classes. Much easier than real teachers. Kyle

I sit at a desk all day and look out the window at the small patch of sky that is not obscured by the neighboring office building.

I am a project manager for a start-up medical device (oncology) company. My work varies from wading through regulations and red tape (currently trying to get a device CE Marked in the UK) to fabrication. We have 2 lab guys. They can measure and calculate all day but could not put together a lego set. Since I am a grease monkey at heart I take up some interesting projects from time to time. My most recent project was a condenser that was designed to take steam from an autoclave and condense it to water that could be sampled for traces of radioactive material, and a filter that would make sure none escaped.

Mostly though its a desk job. Not what I thought I'd be doing when I was younger. I went to college and then got sucked in. I grew up fishing, hunting, sailing and racing motorcycles. I'm only 24.. plenty of time for a career change. Hopefully there is something aviation related out there for me. I'm taking that slow and getting ratings by flying weeknights and weekends. I need to continue working at my company for another year or so to see that it really gets off the ground anyway. Honestly have not ruled out military or USCG etc...

I did actually get my first aviation related job which pays well (surprisingly) but its only part time, nights and weekends. I'm a consultant on an NSF funded study that is researching distractions in the cockpit.

Last edited:
I started out in theoretical physics, took a 15 year detour into the world of IT and now am back teaching gen-ed physics and astronomy.

For a living, I've been doing the same thing for over FIFTEEN YEARS now. Job titles come and go, salaries rise and fall, benefits or no benefits, employed or unemployed, what I do can be summed up as:

I do bits and pieces of everyone else's jobs (at one point I supported over 600 people at HP).... basically the stuff they don't want to do. Oh and then they sign THEIR OWN NAME on MY WORK and give it to THEIR BOSSES. That's the fun part.

I do bits and pieces of everyone else's jobs .... basically the stuff they don't want to do. Oh and then they sign THEIR OWN NAME on MY WORK and give it to THEIR BOSSES. That's the fun part.
True in a lot of jobs. Unless you're the lead dog, the view is always the same!

For a living, I've been doing the same thing for over FIFTEEN YEARS now. Job titles come and go, salaries rise and fall, benefits or no benefits, employed or unemployed, what I do can be summed up as:

I do bits and pieces of everyone else's jobs (at one point I supported over 600 people at HP).... basically the stuff they don't want to do. Oh and then they sign THEIR OWN NAME on MY WORK and give it to THEIR BOSSES. That's the fun part.

Now it is all starting to make sense..... Kimberly is Carly Fiorina 's red headed step child...:hairraise::D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina

Jus kiddin.............. CALM down..:yesnod:;)

:) Not even like this? You can disavow all knowledge!
xkcd.png

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png

Sorry, hard to SQL Injection my code, a new online version will be coming out soon so you're welcome to try. I write the backend webservices and the POS (Point of Sale) client for store clerks... The new web based one wasn't written by me but it uses my WebServices.. so... Good luck!

Bidness owner. Working days-nights-weekends to keep up with it. Automotive related. We repair alloy automobile wheels- you bend'em, we mend'em. Lots and lots of 'em.

7th grade history teacher. Any other teachers out there?

The late, great Jack Cox, writer-publisher and the most humble airplane nut I've ever known, started out as a 7th grade history teacher at Fayetteville Street School in Asheboro, NC before getting involved in his aviation history related career about 1970. The rest is....history.

Back