What do you consider life changing money

It depends if you are a spender or a saver. He spender will quickly utilize the money and see and rather quick change to their life. The saver will likely save the money and not change their life much.

What would change your life financially? You get $10 can almost buy lunch but we're pilots we've spent thousands of dollars on a hobby.

Would 100,000 change your life or how many more zeros you need
$1 more

You reach a point in life where more time is more valuable than more money.

A few years ago, a friend at Lockheed decided to retire and management offered him some money to stay another year or two. His reply was “I have enough money in the bank, but not enough years in the bank.” Last I knew, he was enjoying time with his grandkids.

I estimate that one order of magnitude (or greater) than my current net worth would change my life.

"I don't want the world, I just want your half."

Nauga,
and Ana Ng

You reach a point in life where more time is more valuable than more money.
It is said that when we are young we spend our health for money and when we are old we spend our money for health.

Best life changing money for some is likely called bail money ... :biggrin:

Money can’t buy happiness…..but it can make misery much more tolerable.

It's an interesting question, because it can lead to other questions. Say the answer is $300M. So what would you do if you were given $300M? The answer is typically "well I'd quit my job." Which leads to the question "Then what would you do?" That answer might be travel, or spend time on some hobby or whatever. Which leads to the question "Well why don't you do that right now?" Or potentially "why do you have a job you hate?"

A smarter guy than me spoke somewhat along those lines:

It's long but I honestly think worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.

Given how many of my workers quit when they got $1200 in Covid handouts….

Ya…. Think $1200 will change your life? TRY A JOB!!!

Rant complete

tenor.gif

It's an interesting question, because it can lead to other questions. Say the answer is $300M. So what would you do if you were given $300M? The answer is typically "well I'd quit my job." Which leads to the question "Then what would you do?" That answer might be travel, or spend time on some hobby or whatever. Which leads to the question "Well why don't you do that right now?" Or potentially "why do you have a job you hate?"

A smarter guy than me spoke somewhat along those lines:

It's long but I honestly think worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.
Money is less meaningful beyond secure sources of food, shelter, and incidentals. It’s time and health that matter.

Time & health for sure coupled with wealth.

I live in constant fear of losing my job. A $5mm chunk would eliminate that fear and I could get a job with benefits doings. . . Whatever.

FU money reduces stress. No health - $5mm is meaningless.

No $5mm - a lot of stress worrying about sucking at my job and getting fired at an age (50) no one will hire me and foregoing flying, for example, in retirement.

Will I die if I get fired? Probably not but who knows the impact to health insurance. But then I'll have to worry about kids' schooling, cutting out anything fun and just hunkering down so my money can make it to my death . . . Not doing much? Not very motivating.

No amount of money would "change my life". I am not money motivated. I am extremely frugal. More money would allow me to retire earlier. As has been said to me the free time means more than the money. With a lot more money I could be generous to a lot of people. I would really enjoy giving it away.

Probably 1.5 to 2 million...

So what would you do if you were given [$2 Mil]? "Then what would you do?"

Quit my job

"Then what would you do?"

Pursue passion projects. Pursue a degree in a meaningless field for the fun of it. Like maybe Norse mythology or Ancient Persian mythology...

"Well why don't you do that right now?"

Money

"why do you have a job you hate?"

Money

Specifically, I doubt that my passion-projects could (possibly) be able to fund my current lifestyle or even a distant facsimile thereof. Besides, of all the jobs in the world, mine isn't all that bad.

@2-Bit Speed this.

Those that said "I can retire earlier/much earlier" and "I could be more generous to those that need it" - that is life changing.

Not having to work. Being able to financially or physically help others. That's life changing. Sometimes changing more than one life.

For me that number is $3mm. $1mm would reduce stress but I'd still have to work the same job/hours.

$3mm - I'd probably become excellent at my job because I wouldn't worry about it anymore.

Not having to work.

Our society has two leisure classes, one at either end of the economic spectrum. It’s pretty much guaranteed that if you can’t reach one, you can always reach the other. ;)

Being able to financially or physically help others. That's life changing. Sometimes changing more than one life.

That can be done from almost any financial level. It’s been my observation that, in general, people who don’t do this when they’re near the bottom won’t suddenly start when they reach the top. It’s more a question of a genuine concern and a caring heart than a question of resources.

I play the lottery whenever I learn the jackpot is over a Billion.

This last round a few weeks ago, I couldn't even think of what I would do with the money. Contentment stifles innovation apparently. :)

I probably wouldn't even quit my job if I had won.

Last edited:
I mean 20k would certainly change my life for the better, maybe not completely life changing. 200k would certainly be life changing!

The presumption of the question, I'm assuming, is the perspective that "life changing" would be for the better.

I like my life just the way it is. More money would not make me happier. Probably change it for the worse.

A penny more than I need to comfortably never work again. I don't need any more things. I want more time. The only thing "stealing" my time is having to continue working. And I actually really like my job. I work for a university where I get to work with some of the smartest scientists in the world trying to solve really big problems. But I would quit it tomorrow if my nest egg was large enough.

I am short about $1.2M for retirement, due to having no plan at all. :rolleyes:

That amount plus whatever a DA-62 is going for would suffice.

Probably 1.5 to 2 million...

Specifically, I doubt that my passion-projects could (possibly) be able to fund my current lifestyle or even a distant facsimile thereof. Besides, of all the jobs in the world, mine isn't all that bad.
...and that's it, for most people everything is some kind of compromise. I wasn't suggesting that anyone should try to make their hobby their career. I actually did that, 40 years ago, but only because "that computer thing" seemed like it might be profitable as well as fun. Well, it worked out OK in terms of money, but it had the side effect of making it much less of a hobby. 10-15 years ago I was thinking of all the things I wanted to do "eventually" and realized that some of them are never going to be convenient or easy. One of them was learning to fly. It wasn't convenient or easy, and certainly not a second career, but I'm glad I did it.

I get stuck in ruts from time to time. The routines I've put together are good at keeping me on track, but sometimes it's good to re-evaluate and sort out what the next steps are going to be. Retire a little early? Might do that.

Thinking about an absurd amount of money, like a billion dollars....my first thought is I would continue doing what I'm doing, but I'd hire some help and not do the stuff I don't want to do. Then it occurred to me, would it still be fun if it wasn't for the crappy stuff I'm forced to work through? I think removing the challenge would remove the feeling of accomplishment, like playing a game on "god mode". I suspect that's why people like Elon Musk continue creating new challenges for themselves.

This is a trick question. I’m having a hard time coming up with a figure which would ever make me think snacks at a movie are not too expensive for me to want them.

:D I think additional solutions appear when you are moneyed, like "buying the whole damn theater" in tantrum response to the $8 jujubees. Now your jujubees are 20 cents like they should be, plus the perpetual operating losses of a theater you now own, which you are free to ignore.

Now that I think about it, though, this is actually aviation-grade rationalization, and every one of us is ready for this sort of windfall.

For me? I'm not going to talk numbers, but the life changes I'd want would be:
* Quit working (nearly there anyway) so I can get things done that have been put off for far too long, and explore new things.
* Increase our travel budget so that we're able to go where we want, the way we want rather than make compromises.
* Shift from charitable giving to mostly philanthropic giving.

This is a trick question. I’m having a hard time coming up with a figure which would ever make me think snacks at a movie are not too expensive for me to want them.
Yeah, I would never pay more than $20-30 for a pair of shoes. I know how much things cost to make and I'll not pay two or three thousand percent for owning junk.

Any airplane over $250K better have turbine engines, or they are not worth it.

My mother in law, as a little girl, survived the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. She told me 4000 pesos would not buy a duck egg during that time.

She told me one day the Japanese airplanes bombed her hometown. The next day the Japanese Army came into town and took all of the food and money they could find, along with some young ladies, which one of was my MIL older sister. And they killed all of the men that had not run off into the jungle to hide.

Food was scarce, money non-existent. Food was used as money. So I am thinking food, not money would have been life changing for the folks at that time.

Present time, I send her 500 USD per month so she can buy her meds, so while not really life changing that makes life more comfortable for her.

My MIL is one tough old lady. I had to learn the official language of the Philippine Islands so I could ask her if I could marry her daughter. (she didn't really say yes, she just said Ok)

I have enough my wife and I could both quit today and our lifestyle wouldn't change. We are mid 50's

The issue is that I hired a couple of my kids (mid 30's) and now I'm trying to get everything setup so they can takeover and not end up breaking the company

I've worked more hours and been away from home more nights this year than any time since I was poor

I complain and moan about it, but I would go crazy if I retired. I've just decided after this year, I'm going to slow down

The money that would change my life is like said earlier. Family Office money. And enough for a good attorney that could set it up my where heirs and their heirs never had to worry about money, but we're not able to "not work"

…Family Office money. And enough for a good attorney that could set it up my where heirs and their heirs never had to worry about money, but we're not able to "not work"
A good attorney is part of a family office and what the family office should he doing; running your wealth and finances as a business to ensure your objectives are met.

I am amazed at how many people who posted they are already happy. No amount of money could improve that.

To the point I find it unbelievable.

Or it reinforces only wealthy people fly.

Last edited:
Back