what do ya'll think about this?

Nice looking Skyhawk. But it's still a Skyhawk with a runout engine. Now if it were a 182 or a 210 I might pay the premium for the panel, but not for a Skyhawk. But that is just me. After investing a ton of money in my Skyhawk, I just decided it was too slow, no matter how pretty it looked.

here is what i am coming from... after overhaul and lets say i run it for 400 hours and wants to sell it ... do you guys think i will able to sell it for around same price? or the avionics upgrades is just something i will have to eat?

I would only buy that plane if I intended to keep it for a long time and if I knew I would not become frustrated with the speed. Personally, and this is just one guy's opinion, I think the avionics are overdone for the plane. You are looking at about a $35k airplane with about $50k worth of avionics. And that is only if it had the 180hp upgrade.

I would only buy that plane if I intended to keep it for a long time and if I knew I would not become frustrated with the speed. Personally, and this is just one guy's opinion, I think the avionics are overdone for the plane. You are looking at about a $35k airplane with about $50k worth of avionics. And that is only if it had the 180hp upgrade.
thanks for your inputs... the problem i am a student looking to buy and as a student i have no idea "when" i will grow out of a 172. right now, 172 is plenty fast for me, i am sure i would want to go fast some day and get into a 182 or something similar, i just cant figure out when that day would come. form a mission perspective (flying around for no reason, xc every now and then after PPL and then get IFR training, not going for a career change), this fits and i am learning in G1000 set up and hence more inclined to that.. may be its just the avionics thats too attractive for a newbiew. i agree its probably a 35k plane and he is asking another 25 for overhaul making the whole price with avionics 110K.. so may be a 60K plane with 50K worth of avionics.. no idea how fast that deprecates :(

thanks for your inputs... the problem i am a student looking to buy and as a student i have no idea "when" i will grow out of a 172. right now, 172 is plenty fast for me, i am sure i would want to go fast some day and get into a 182 or something similar, i just cant figure out when that day would come. form a mission perspective (flying around for no reason, xc every now and then after PPL and then get IFR training, not going for a career change), this fits and i am learning in G1000 set up and hence more inclined to that.. may be its just the avionics thats too attractive for a newbiew. i agree its probably a 35k plane and he is asking another 25 for overhaul making the whole price with avionics 110K.. so may be a 60K plane with 50K worth of avionics.. no idea how fast that deprecates :(

You will grow out of the 172 on your first looooong x-country where you will meet with friends that drove, and they arrived at the destination before you....;)

If you were my son, I would recommend that you buy a 152 or similar for time building until you have a better idea of what your mission and your personal requirements will be. And I would strongly advise that you don't start off with a glass panel for two reasons. One, they are too complex for a beginner to fly safely (I have a story about that), and two: they fail far more often than some of the older technology and that is dangerous, even for an experienced pilot.

The plane you linked to reminds me of some girls I used to date. Sexy as hell, but totally impractical and expensive.

Sexy as hell, but totally impractical and expensive.

thats the best analogy i have read in a long time :D:D. on a serious note, yeah i wish my flight school had a 6 pack, but all they have is the ones with G1000 and initially it was a big distraction, i am slowly getting over it and along with how to fly an airplane, now i also have to learn a million button push and knobs to scroll and that takes the attention away from the more pressing things like keeping the wing level...

For what it's worth, I've probably "outgrown" my Archer after 6 months. I already want more speed. But if I hadn't bought my Archer, I wouldn't have finished my ticket and learned a bunch of things that will help me when I buy my (Mooney) next plane.

Some people have a lot of money...

As a fresh pilot, I'd advise getting something kinda old... kinda like a teenager's first car. Then once you know what you want and are done beating the snot out of your first airplane, get something better and more expensive. That airplane is like a Honda Civic with an F1 race engine.

For that kind of money it had better come with custom baby seal seat covers along with the video of them being clubbed to death.

Wow, did you see the Glass on that beauty.

They can ask what they want....... Selling is another matter.

I see about *$60k retail in installed equipment. With a run out motor, I see a $50k aircraft. A fresh overhauled 180 dropped in I do see a $80 -90k plane for sure. The right buyer may even go close to $100k on that plane 0 smoh.

If you don't need the speed and load, that would be a great plane for the solo guy or piolot and spouse.

thanks for your inputs... the problem i am a student looking to buy and as a student i have no idea "when" i will grow out of a 172. right now, 172 is plenty fast for me

That right there is the reason many pilots rent aircraft until they get their certificate and maybe another 25 hours. It allows the usage patterns you will develop as a certificated pilot to define what your mission really is, so that you can buy wisely. Buying a 172 upgraded to a few ounces of available useful load at this stage in your flying career is a mistake. Patience, grasshopper!

-Skip

thanks for your inputs... the problem i am a student looking to buy and as a student i have no idea "what" the heck I want to fly when I'm not a student. I've been flying around in circles like my CFI tells me. After I get my ppl and have actually flown in the real world, I *might* have a better idea of what I want to fly. Heck, I might even want to take more than one person in the plane and all that glass won't help a 172 do that any better. :(

FIFY
:D

A G500 and an Aspen? whooo doggies...

And WannFly, Just as soon as you experience an aircraft with faster speeds, the 172 won't do no more.

Those 180 HP conversions usually have pretty good useful load. But THAT one? Jeez, that's a lot of weight to throw into a not-very-large airframe. And it's still fixed-gear fixed-pitch.

One would think a used G1000 would be cheaper, and probably work better together. STEC 55 "Flight Director?"

I'm in a club/partnership in a 172, set up for x-ctry use. It. Is. Slow. And uncomfortable, after about two hours. Well equipped, AP, Garmin 530, fuel computer, etc., etc. But we have it because it is cheap and simple to fly.

I use it for a 360 mile trip on the east coast regularly. That's a looong time, even without bad winds.

If you just want to fly for fun, wait a bit, try some other planes. . .Cessnas, Pipers, are not fun handling airplanes, and will bore you after a short while.

Reminds me of a one of those Hondas with a worn engine, but TVs in all the headrests and even sun visors.

I'd pass, especially for that price, there's a sweet C180 on Facebook for less than that.

Nothing wrong with a Cessna 172. Sure there are faster and more capable planes out there. But C172s and Piper Cherokees hard to beat for economy, maintenance, and yes, fun. Another plus is resale value, same with Pipers.

If I had one now I guarantee you I could have fun flying it. But then I've always enjoyed and had fun with every plane I've ever flown.

Nothing wrong with a Cessna 172. Sure there are faster and more capable planes out there. But C172s and Piper Cherokees hard to beat for economy, maintenance, and yes, fun. Another plus is resale value, same with Pipers.

If I had one now I guarantee you I could have fun flying it. But then I've always enjoyed and had fun with every plane I've ever flown.
You are correct. One of the advantages of the 172 is economy. But this particular 172 is anything but economical. IMNSHO, the value of the plane does not support the value of the avionics. Sure, they are nice, but come on, other that use as an avionics demo, do you really need all that instrumentation in a 172?

If your personal opinion is yes, then this may be the plane for you. But it is NOT an economical airplane.

You are correct. One of the advantages of the 172 is economy. But this particular 172 is anything but economical. IMNSHO, the value of the plane does not support the value of the avionics. Sure, they are nice, but come on, other that use as an avionics demo, do you really need all that instrumentation in a 172?

If your personal opinion is yes, then this may be the plane for you. But it is NOT an economical airplane.

Understand, but I was referring to C172s in general, not an atypical one as the one here.

sounds like green mtn needs to check his insurance and *accidentally* gear up that 172....:D

sounds like green mtn needs to check his insurance and *accidentally* gear up that 172....:D
I suspect the insurance company would rebuild the plane rather than reimburse all those avionics, and then they would be left with a plane that has too much invested in it, and has serious damage history.
Besides, it's not a retract.

You will grow out of the 172 on your first looooong x-country where you will meet with friends that drove, and they arrived at the destination before you....;)

Couldn't agree more. I trained in Cherokee's and my first long xc after getting my PPL was renting one of them and flying Chino, CA to Chandler, AZ. 115mph IAS with about a 95mph ground speed was slightly faster than driving. (It was more fun and scenic than driving.) After that I decided to wait on any more long flights until I had my Mooney. Got the Mooney in December, I haven't been back to AZ in it yet but planning on next month and can't wait to make that flight.

Back