what did everyone do with their learning materials?

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
I bought the Sporty's kit for my PPL and the Gleim kit for my IR. I always thought it would be nice to hang on to them, but to be honest, I haven't cracked into them since the checkrides.

Did you guys hang on to them or sell them? I'd like to sell the stuff and maybe give another prospective student a price break, but the OCD in me wants me to hang on to it.

Paid 'em forward.

I was gonna hang on to them but realized like you I have not and probably will not look at them again.

...so paying it forward.

Free Gleim books plus PTS, oral prep guide, hat and flight bag free to first one that PM's me their address. You must be a student pilot and I will even pay shipping! (need a physical address for UPS)

EDIT: They have been spoken for!

Attachments

• Gleim.JPG
    Gleim.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Get rid of it. Stuff slowly changes, enough so they will have little value. Plus who has a vhs player anymore?

Get rid of it. Stuff slowly changes, enough so they will have little value. Plus who has a vhs player anymore?

Yep. Save it for entertainment value to look at 10-20 years from now or let it go to someone who will use it shortly after you're done with it.

I'll probably take them by the local airport and let the CFI give them to one of his students. Thanks.

They are still out there on the Internet.

...so paying it forward.

... You must be a student pilot and I will even pay shipping! (need a physical address for UPS)

Thanks for doing that, Shawn, that is very nice of you.

When I decide I do not need to hold onto my books anymore, I will hand them to my buddy who really wants to learn to fly but doesn't have the budget I had so he will sure appreciate any help.

Keep 'em flying!

I still have them. My dad kept all his stuff from 80's when he was flight instructing and even showed me some of his old lesson plans! I still use his David Clark headset from the 80's as well.

I still have mine, not sure what to do with them besides sell off

I keep all of my stuff. Most of it has been made at home.

It all comes in handy every now and then.

I have some of my flight plans i made for my XC's. Good memories :)

I keep all of my stuff. Most of it has been made at home.

It all comes in handy every now and then.

I've managed to keep a few things over the years, but in the end, I live a nomadic life so I have to divest my self of extraneous stuff or pay to store it. It's amazing how little stuff I really need.

The only physical thing I had for training was the Jepp Private Pilot book which has been "loaned" to a friend. Otherwise its all digital

I've kept some things like the nicer Jepp books but most of the repetitive or checkride/written exam prep books I've given to students on here or at my local airport. Old FAR/AIMs I'd love to set on fire for a moments revenge but I'm rarely around a fire so they get tossed or donated. BTW if you are going to just toss study material like test preps and far/aims, do your local flight school who sells them a favor and tear out the top cover and give it back to them. The dealer/seller gets credit to put towards more books.

Gave some of them away to college/high school students learning to fly, selling some of them, will be keeping some of them.

I'm in the same pickle...cleaning up the basement. Already recycled or donated 20 years of technical journals (computer science) and still have 20 boxes to go thru. Do I really need to keep notes and such from 30 years ago? I still have notes from every class I took or taught.

My book shelf is kinda anemic, so I hang on to anything.

It's also nice to reference.

Of course it depends on what you buy, Now if its a gliem "book" Id just use to start the BBQ, From the ground up, or everything explained for the professional pilot, that's a good reference.

Last edited:
I am interested in learning, if anyone wants to get rid of their books I will take them! I have just started researching what it will take to get my license. I will hopefully start in the next month or 2.

Thanks

B-

Passed the instrument written with a 94, gave my study material to a friend a couple years later and he passed with a 98. Took my private so long ago I can't remember but if the stuff's still around I might donate it to a museum.

I still have notes from every class I took or taught.

LOL...I started purging about 5 years or so after the terminal degree. It is truly soul cleansing to be rid of purely academic crap.

I am interested in learning, if anyone wants to get rid of their books I will take them! I have just started researching what it will take to get my license. I will hopefully start in the next month or 2.

Thanks

B-

Most of the stuff is cheaper to buy new than to ship. And the FAA stuff is free in PDF form.

Expired FAR/AIMs make decent doorstops.

Back