What complex airplane?

Theboys

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Theboys
I'm looking for a retract single engine to build up some complex time. My plan is to fly it about 300 to 400 hours then sell. I do want something that I can take on long trips in imc, although my primary purpose is just to build hours. Probably won't keep more than 2 years at most. Just looking for a few ideas.

Bonanza

Sigh,,, this gets old.

Comanche.

This gets even older.

Touche'.

I'll revise my statement. Get Ed's Comanche.

Then - Bonanza :drink:

Of course, if he just wants to build hours, get a Sierra. It will take you 50% longer to get anywhere you're going in a Comanche or Bo. But it is a complex!

For liquidity's sake considering the short amount of time you'll own: Piper Arrow. And no, mine is not for sale :D.

I had a Comanche before and I feel they are starting to get hard to find some of the parts. Good plane though. Flew a bonanza yesterday and it was okay. Was looking at 210's but they are getting pretty long in tooth also. I don't know what all have retract gear. Would like something that is fairly cheap to fly. I'm going to upgrade to a meridian soon and insurance company said I would save good chunk if I got more complex, so thought I'd buy one. I already have fast fixed gear planes.

The Sierra was a good idea and checked a couple out that are in the rags. Think for what they want and for what the plane is, I'd be better off with a f33a or a 35 if I were to go bonanza route. Was thinking maybe someone might have a high performance complex they wanted to part with.

Last edited:
If the plan is to buy it and then sell it to save on insurance, it may be cheaper to pay the higher insurance premium for a year or two.:D To buy, maintain and sell a complex airplane after 2 years and 200 hours is going to cost $5-10K I transaction costs.;) Plus fuel, hangar etc.

I had a Comanche before and I feel they are starting to get hard to find some of the parts. Good plane though. Flew a bonanza yesterday and it was okay. Was looking at 210's but they are getting pretty long in tooth also. I don't know what all have retract gear. Would like something that is fairly cheap to fly. I'm going to upgrade to a meridian soon and insurance company said I would save good chunk if I got more complex, so thought I'd buy one. I already have fast fixed gear planes.

If the plan is to buy it and then sell it to save on insurance, it may be cheaper to pay the higher insurance premium for a year or two.:D To buy, maintain and sell a complex airplane after 2 years and 200 hours is going to cost $5-10K I transaction costs.;) Plus fuel, hangar etc.

:yeahthat:

Or paying for a Meridian CFI for an extra 50-100 hours would probably be a better investment. Bake that into the deal with the insurer. My student went from a C-150 to a Bonanza A36 at 64 hours TT. We doubled he insurance minimum requirements, but that saved him money overall.

I'm looking for a retract single engine to build up some complex time. My plan is to fly it about 300 to 400 hours then sell. I do want something that I can take on long trips in imc, although my primary purpose is just to build hours. Probably won't keep more than 2 years at most. Just looking for a few ideas.
I'd go with a new TBM 900 myself or maybe a Malibu or a Matrix. They fit the single engine, HP, complex, and have good residual value. Except for the guy who clipped an orange cone and sent one of the prop blades flying. (KRKD about 2 years ago).

I'd go with a new TBM 900 myself or maybe a Malibu or a Matrix. They fit the single engine, HP, complex, and have good residual value. Except for the guy who clipped an orange cone and sent one of the prop blades flying. (KRKD about 2 years ago).

I'd skip the Matrix. Put me on the TBM list, though I'd be trilled even with a 700!

(PS. I'm biased to the 182RG, and approaching my insurance renew period my insurance is half of what it was 2 years ago)

182RG. Look no further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have quite a few high performance hours. I have a Columbia I fly a lot. I'm thinking I can get close to 300 hours complex yet this year if I find something soon. I have plenty of hanger space so that's not a problem. Just looking for complex at this time. I guess I'm leaning towards a 210 or bonanza although the retract 182 sure would be a contender also. I have flown these. Seems to be demand for all. Any leads would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would go with an arrow, good re sale and nice overall if your not in a big hurry. I had a 73 arrow ,took it every where and loved it.

:yeahthat:

Or paying for a Meridian CFI for an extra 50-100 hours would probably be a better investment. Bake that into the deal with the insurer. My student went from a C-150 to a Bonanza A36 at 64 hours TT. We doubled he insurance minimum requirements, but that saved him money overall.

Hire a named CFII-pilot for insurance, you fly left seat gain hours and experience, have somebody to enjoy learning the airplane with and at the end of the year, you have 100 hours in type and suddenly, you're insurable! :D
I had to have a qualified right seat pilot for 50 hours in my Citation, I actually had 3 guys that I could fly with, all approved by my insurance carrier. Having more than one pilot available means you can usually get one to go on your schedule.
If the OP is flying a Columbia now, I think an Arrow or a 182 RG is going to be a let down. ;)

+1.

Years ago, my dad bought a Cessna 340. Insurance was hideously expensive until he had more multi hours, so he just flew the snot out of that airplane to get the hours in quickly.

Much cheaper overall than buying & selling, then buying. Plus, lots of experience in the airplane you plan on keeping for the long haul.

John, I'm actually insurable now in the meridian. I like to keep a stable of airplanes around anyway. Have 3 currently but have lots of room left. I made offer on a f33a today which I thought might be fun to play with for awhile. The way meridians are selling right now might be awhile till I find one anyway. Have been looking for nice cessna 210 non turbo but they seem pretty scarce also. I don't keep airplanes very long anyway.

I'm glad you've got 3, I get funny looks when I say I have 2! :D

John, I'm actually insurable now in the meridian. I like to keep a stable of airplanes around anyway. Have 3 currently but have lots of room left. I made offer on a f33a today which I thought might be fun to play with for awhile. The way meridians are selling right now might be awhile till I find one anyway. Have been looking for nice cessna 210 non turbo but they seem pretty scarce also. I don't keep airplanes very long anyway.

When I sold my Citation in 2007, I told one of my buddies that I would like a 414/421 and a 182. He has a 421C, and told me I was crazy!:D Now I've got the Conquest I and a 182, he bought a 172 a month ago for his wife to learn to fly and he LOVES it! He flies the 172 for fun and the 421 to go places! If I could have just one,MIT would probably be the 182.:D
John, you know it's funny. It seems the more you fly the more you need at least one fast comfortable plane and one slow fun plane....at least!

none of the above. If you are going to buy to build hours and then sell, then the fuel cost is going to outweigh depreciation and mx on the plane. That means you need something that burns gas from the corner conoco station.

Mogas choices are limited with folding wheels. Single engine, debonair, some early bo's. Multi engine, apache 150.

The deb is going to be the easiest to unload at the end.

Not sure it has a CS prop, but how about a mooney mite

model_1581.jpg

Second one would be a swift
SwiftGC-1B_e_eth.jpg

Why do you need to build complex hours? I've never went for a job that had a requirement of X hours of complex time :dunno:

Id SKIP the 177/210, not the nicest flying aircraft and overpriced for that they offer.

If you want to blow money

1) complex float plane (CS prop and Flaps)
2) Yak
3) lance
4) glass
5) PA24
6) Full size mooney
7) Bo (over priced and a MX hog IMO)

Last edited:
I had a Comanche before and I feel they are starting to get hard to find some of the parts. Good plane though. Flew a bonanza yesterday and it was okay. Was looking at 210's but they are getting pretty long in tooth also. I don't know what all have retract gear. Would like something that is fairly cheap to fly.

I've got a very nice 1997 Mooney Ovation for sale... 170 KTAS, 12 gph.

Back