What causes stalls?

Suck it up, bomb down into the downwind a hair shy of VNE, level off, 80+ degree bank downwind to final decel turn to vfe, flaps, slip, cross the fence at VREF, pull her straight 1' off the deck, make the first taxiway.

IAS should keep this from happening. Where DA might bite you in your example might be from ground reference issues, no? Say your IAS is normal but it looks like you're too fast out the window due to higher ground speed due to DA. ?
All performance isn't accounted for by IAS alone. There are other factors, such as DA that affect how the aircraft handles and performs. You need to look at all the things that affect the energy state.

But to your question, the ground rushing by can make you feel like you are fast even though the IAS might not reflect it. I think that certainly can lead to an aggressive correction to an overshoot, and an ATS.

IAS should keep this from happening. Where DA might bite you in your example might be from ground reference issues, no? Say your IAS is normal but it looks like you're too fast out the window due to higher ground speed due to DA. ?

Yes. People look out the window and their eyeballs tend to see what they want to see. At a high DA airport they look outside and think they're flying too fast, when they're actually flying as slow as at home. There is a dissonance between what they just saw on the ASI and the groundspeed seen out the window. If they can't make the rational connection they might be tempted to follow the out the window feeling.

I think @GlennAB1 has a point. I would say an approach to turn stall would be much more likely to happen on a high DA day simply because you may be expecting more performance. For anyone who's maneuvered up in the flight levels, its obvious that it is way easier to stall the aircraft. You want the aircraft to do something, you expect it to do something but it just won't do it. That situation in an overshoot at very high DA could give the sensation of speed, but lack the performance.
That puts density altitude in the same category as "the pilot" or "the instructor" when answering the question "what causes stalls?"

Yes, air density physically affects stalls, but unless somebody wants to actually explain such things as compressibility and low speed Mach buffet, it's kind of a wasted argument.

Did any of the 126 replies state that what causes stalls is Pilots?

sheesh.

And dont even say AOA.

That puts density altitude in the same category as "the pilot" or "the instructor" when answering the question "what causes stalls?"

Yes, air density physically affects stalls, but unless somebody wants to actually explain such things as compressibility and low speed Mach buffet, it's kind of a wasted argument.
The OP followed up his original post and the conversation moved beyond the aerodynamics of a stall. There really isn't much discussion to be had there, so it drifted into contributing factors to stalling the aircraft. I don't think Mach buffet is relevant to what the OP was asking.

What makes airplanes fly? And: money

Once that is understood the cause of a stall is obviously a lack of money.

All this talk of flow separation and density altitude is just a lot of hot air.

Does compressibility affect the wing and the pitot tube pretty much the same? Is IAS even a reliable indication of impeding stall when you get going that fast?

Or the rest of the discussion, at least without further explanation. ;)
Well, since thread drift is pretty much the norm and my curiosity is now piqued, what about compressibility and Mach buffet? Does it contribute to stalls? It's not something I've done much reading on. I thought that was mainly a problem with older designs when pushed beyond their critical Mach #. Is that where it's a problem?

Well, since thread drift is pretty much the norm and my curiosity is now piqued, what about compressibility and Mach buffet? Does it contribute to stalls? It's not something I've done much reading on. I thought that was mainly a problem with older designs when pushed beyond their critical Mach #. Is that where it's a problem?
Compressibility and Mach buffet also become an issue at high altitudes when you slow down enough to increase the airflow speed to Mach over the wing. Hence the term "low speed Mach buffet".

Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators is where I went to figure it out after experiencing it. ;) I think in that airplane we saw it in the neighborhood of .68M, at an AOA significantly below the critical AOA. We subsequently learned why the climb profiles are what they are. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What causes stalls? I thought everyone knew.

Stalls are caused by suicidal pilots showing off their flying skills to their equally suicidal hot sister. Duh!

Just kidding az.

One often overlooked effect of high DA in the pattern is that the resulting higher TAS requires a wider pattern or greater bank in the turns. The usual result is more overshooting the turn to final.

When the magic that is used to hold them in the air goes away

The increased bank also increases load factor raising stall speed. If the pilot tries to maintain altitude by pulling back on the yoke/stick in the turn the angle of attack is increased.
Why would you pull back on the yoke, power controls altitude.

Turns cause drag. Drag causes the nose to drop. If you don't pull back you'll descend.

Mmmmm. Turns don't cause as much drag as they cause the direction of lift to change such that there isn't enough lift in the vertical to maintain altitude.

Most of the additional drag comes from raising the angle of attack to maintain altitude in the turn. If you don't raise AoA, and descend during the turn, there's no significant drag created. Some. But not much. As long as it's coordinated.

The effect of loss of vertical lift causes us to pitch up to add it back, in order to hold altitude, and that adds drag.

That pitch input adds to both vertical and horizontal lift and has the effect of maintaining altitude while tightening the turn. Trading sideways lift for speed then becomes a function of bank angle chosen.

Roll it 90 and hold it there and push to keep the wing from lifting in the horizontal plane, and much of your lift is now coming from the side of the fuselage the side of the vertical stabilizer, and propwash from raw horsepower.

Roll it 90 and pull hard, and you can still stall the wing, and it's providing nearly no vertical lift when you do it.

There are also some aircraft that the nose doesn't drop much, if at all, with airspeed change. They'll bite you square in the butt if you don't pitch them where they need to be. They tend toward the aerobatic.

Put a Cessna in a hard slip, and the nose will fall and it will tend to want to maintain airspeed. Do the same in a Citabria and the pitch will tend to stay right where it was, and the aircraft will slow more, without a purposeful nose down pitch input.

The statement "turns create drag" is true, if the turn is descending less than the loss of vertical lift. Descend enough to maintain airspeed in the turn, and no additional drag really is caused by the turn.

This is why the power loss PUSH after takeoff if one thinks (or better, knows) they can turn back to the runway. It's also why glider pilots are taught that hard push on a rope break from day one. A glider pilot friend and I have been discussing this recently.

He asserts that power pilots would benefit greatly from a little rope break training in gliders to avoid the tendency to not PUSH IMMEDIATELY on power loss at takeoff. I think he has a very good point. He says any glider pilot who transitions to power will naturally do this PUSH if the engine quits on departure as their first reaction, and it's the right one. THEN you look for your landing spot.

If you have the altitude, and you KNOW you have it to make that turn, you must PUSH the nose down even more in the turn to trade that altitude for airspeed during the turn. If you started at best glide and turned, you MUST nose down to maintain best glide in the turn.

Glider pilots do it all the time. Commercial glider pilots do it even lower than Private glider pilots. They know if they have a 20:1 or even a 40:1 ship, how high they have to be to turn back. Many power pilots at 7:1 or worse, don't KNOW and haven't tried it, even at altitude. But you can still teach them to PUSH at power loss before even thinking about PUSHing even more to make that turn-back.

Back