What became of Diamond aircraft?

8gph at 75%/150kts
Impressive. The 2006 I flew had the Hartzell 2-blade composite propeller (HC-C2YR-1N/N7605) and would top out at 145KTAS at just the right altitude and if I were solo and fuel was down to near reserves. Most of the time, I was closer to 140KTAS at 75%.

The other 2006 I regularly flew had the Hartzell 2-blade aluminum prop (HC-C2YR-1BFP) and most of the time was in the upper 130's KTAS.

6. CG can go out the back a little too easily.

The fuel measurement device is super wonky, but I got around that by never using it. Either fill it to the bottom of the aux tanks or fill it all the way up.

I’ve never used that fuel measurement device either, and absolutely will not use it on the NG and put it back in the plane. Perhaps I shouldn’t admit to it but on the G1000 aircraft I’ve found the fuel totalizer and gauges to be accurate enough that if I start a trip with a known fuel quantity and know what the fuel rate is, I haven’t found much of a need to check the fuel level with that contraption.

And for those saying the Diamonds aren’t a traveling machine, I’ll be doing a 1200 mile trip in one this weekend. But perhaps my judgment should be in question because I’d do the trip in my Cub too.

I’ve never used that fuel measurement device either, and absolutely will not use it on the NG and put it back in the plane.
I always planned my flights in the NG around airports with full service Jet-A. :)

Things I like about the DA40...
Things I don't like about the DA40...

1. Castering nosewheel, so a lot of braking steering at low speed.
2. The center stick is fun but unlike most airplanes with a center stick, you can't readily use a kneeboard or put charts on your lap. It's too close in. That scenario favors a Cirrus/Airbus/F16 style side stick. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford to rent an F16...
3. My (rental) DA40 could not idle at a normal speed due to vapor lock. Probably from a tight engine bay. We are talking about California. Consequently, the engine had to be semi gunned and more brake wear on the ground.
4. Range was limited. You really never had a good feel for how much fuel you were actually carrying because the gauges were affected by the high dihedral of the wings, and visually mostly full tanks would look empty when you viewed them through the filler port. I forget what the range is (I'm too lazy to look it up right now) but it was less than I was comfortably dealing with in any other plane.
5. You get beat up a lot. That is the trade between performance and low stall speed.

I view the DA40 as a plane you fly for fun, on good days, but not necessarily the best or most capable for point A to B missions involving distances outside of of its range.

1. Free castering nosewheels definitely take some getting used to. Pilots accustomed to steerable nose wheels tend to ride the brakes too much. Once you get the feel, there is very little differential braking required to taxi (with the exception of strong crosswinds, but then even nose steering aircraft require some additional help to avoid weathervaning). Once on takeoff roll, it takes very little differential braking to stay centerline just as you begin to add power. The DA40 accelerates quickly and develops sufficient rudder authority quickly so you can drop your feet off the brakes quickly. The great thing about free castering is that you can turn on a dime. I can maneuver my DA40 far better and tighter than a C172 or other steerable nosewheel aircraft. Much easier on a ramp to squeeze between a couple other guys in transient parking.

2. The other challenge with the center stick is trying to take a pee on a long flight, but you just need to work out the right technique ;-) The pop-top canopy and fixed seats allow me to simply rest my ipad on my lap when using and tuck it against my left thigh when not needed. Can't do that in a Cessna as it will fall down between the seat and the door, and you really don't want to be opening doors to recover your ipad. I always had to use a kneeboard or mount it in non-Diamond aircraft. The great thing about the center stick is that it gives you ultimate precision doing crosswind landings. I can take a 25kt direct crosswind and comfortably forward slip the aircraft on the centerline. The center stick allows you to rest your steering arm against your leg and make much finer adjustments than a yoke or a sidestick (especially bad is the Cirrus spring-loaded sidestick). That is nearly impossible with other low-wing aircraft without a big risk of scraping a wingtip.

3. Poorly maintained aircraft. Try one that hasn't been beaten to death as a rental.

4. Regarding range, if I run 10-20 degrees lean of peak at 10,000MSL, I can go 6 hours at <7gph and >135knots, so over 800nm on a tank, with an hour reserve. BTW, I never use the fuel measuring device. As long as you reset the fuel tally on the G1000 to full occasionally when you top off, the G1000 totalizer is very accurate. And the analog gauges are highly accurate below 10gal per side.

5. The light wing loading does make for a bit bumpier ride on turbulent days. That's when I fly higher. I have an oxygen generator that allows me to get unlimited time above 15,000' MSL. But again, the landing performance of that big wing is incredible on challenging days. I'll take a few more bumps in trade for much lower chance of a prop strike or worse from a bad landing.

I've taken many 1000+ nm trips, one over 6000 miles and absolutely loved it. And with the back door, it is much easier to load and unload than most 2 door airplanes where you have to wrestle your luggage in and out of the backseat or try to pack in miniscule duffle bags to get it through the luggage door. My backseats also fold down to provide much more room for larger cargo.

Last edited:
I’ve flown one all over the place and even down to my reserves a couple times. It does fine as a traveler. You can also check out @wayneda40 ’s trips on his YouTube channel as well.
I'm sure it travels fine - just not as fine as an aircraft with a higher wing loading, perhaps.

Great video by Lifestyle, that actually brings up a great point about the prior post.

I think it is a bigger deal in people’s mind than in reality.

@Mondster is correct. While the DA40 has a relatively low wing loading, which most people assume will yield a bumpier ride, the composite construction allows the DA40 wing to flex much more than a rigid aluminum wing on a C172, Mooney, Bonanza, etc. I felt much sharper bumps in C172's than I feel in my DA40. So you get a smoother ride than a comparably loaded aluminum wing but you also enjoy the advantages of slower stall speed and better maneuverability of the bigger wing. Best of both worlds.

Lifestyle does a good job comparing the IO360 in the C172S to the Austro diesel in the DA40NG. Aside from many advantages of the FADEC-controlled modern Austro (Mercedes) engine, there are a few small challenges with the Austro comparatively. Priority one is that you need a good shop that understands the engine. If you have that, you're golden and you can enjoy the many benefits of more modern technology. On the other hand, mechanics everywhere know the IO360. The good news is that the DA40 is still available with the IO360 as well. And the DA40 performs better with the IO360 than any competitive option. So you have your choice. Again, best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Not too long ago, Diamond aircraft were the darling of the GA world (or seemed to be). Nowadays you hardly hear people talking about them.

* Yes, I'm sure they're still around, and I'm sure someone just had a 50 page discussion about them.
I did a fair amount of my primary training in both the DA-20 Eclipse and DA-40 Diamondstar. They are really great planes. DA40 is a solid value. It is 25-30 kts slower than an SR22, but also is much more efficient, has lower fixed costs (insurance and no CAPS), and priced correspondingly lower. I have a friend that flies the Diesel DA-40 and rants about the simplicity and efficiency. Only thing I don't like about it is the wing doesn't do well in ice and no anti-ice is available. For southern climates and missions of a couple hundred miles it's a great plane.

Only thing I don't like about it is the wing doesn't do well in ice and no anti-ice is available.
I managed to pick up a little bit of ice in a DA40. Ice is never pleasant, but I did manage to climb out of it (from 9000MSL to 11000MSL) without much problem. What did you not like about it?

I think the DA-40 is closer to the SR-20 in terms of mission and capability.
The DA-42 and the SR-22 are a better comparison.

Tim

Is it me, or does left rudder pedal input apply the left brake as well? I found this in a DA40 and DA42 airframe I've flown in the local area. This drives me nuts! I do prefer the free castering nose wheel of the DA40 over whatever they designed in the DA42... good luck making sharp turns - differential thrust is the only way to go then!

Is it me, or does left rudder pedal input apply the left brake as well? I found this in a DA40 and DA42 airframe I've flown in the local area. This drives me nuts! I do prefer the free castering nose wheel of the DA40 over whatever they designed in the DA42... good luck making sharp turns - differential thrust is the only way to go then!
Hmm. I don't remember that from my time in both 40s and 42. Like other planes I've flown, top of the rudder pedal is brake but you can push the rudder pedal without braking if you don't tip it forward. But it's been almost a year...

I should clarify, besides this and the micro fuel tanks, I love these planes!

Press the bar for rudder, above the bar for brake:
DSC00732.jpg

In my 2500+ hours in a DA40 I've never noticed an issue with either rudder pedal applying brake as well. Actually I'm a big fan of a free castering nose wheel... and the DA40 is much lighter in that respect than the SR20/SR22.

I have very limited hours in Diamond. I never looked closely at why, but I did find it a little harder to just hit the rudder not the brake in the Diamond than in the Cirrus I owned, or the Piper's, Cessna, Beech I occasionally rented.

Tim

I have very limited hours in Diamond. I never looked closely at why, but I did find it a little harder to just hit the rudder not the brake in the Diamond than in the Cirrus I owned, or the Piper's, Cessna, Beech I occasionally rented.

Tim
If you look at the picture in post #56, perhaps you had your toes in towards the middle near the brake pedals rather than out near the rudder cables away from the pedals.

Or maybe you just have big feet. :)

Press the bar for rudder, above the bar for brake:
DSC00732.jpg
I’m definitely 99% certain that I don’t tag the brake when working rudders. I do have very big feet ;) but recently in the DA42 I even demonstrated the situation with the MEI. On my checkride I purposely did two things, 1) cranked in extra left trim, 2) made sure to always set up with a runway where the crosswind component was from the left.

Maybe it takes a bit of practice using the balls of your feet for the rudder, your toes for the brakes. If you're overactive with your ankles you can possibly ride the brakes. I'm a bit over 6'4" and takes some coordination.

Last edited:
I just passed my check ride last November in my DA-40. I bought the plane over a year ago after doing my first 20 hours in a 172 few years back. The planes been a blast, the longest flight I've done so far was when I picked it up from KBFI near Seattle and flew home to KFUL in Fullerton with an instructor. Decent cruise speed, great climb rate, and 924 lbs useful load, 684 lbs useful load full fuel, make it a good fit for me. It's my first plane and I'm absolutely loving it!

Back