What are your utility bills like?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
I've noticed it has been a little warm around the country and it got me to wondering how much does it cost to run a house in various parts of the country.

I've been daydreaming of moving somewhere else for my old man retired years, so I've been bird dogging houses all over the place. I'm looking for a smaller house that I could just pay for in full so I could live off my SS for the most part.

So I guess what I want to ask is how much are your utility bills in the summer and the winter? Do you use central air conditioning or a window box, or just open the windows and sweat it out?

What part of the country do you live in? What type of heating do you have? I'm thinking I will want to buy something around a thousand feet, perhaps a little more. So if you live in a much larger home, I guess your answer wouldn't be of much help, unless larger homes are real cheap in your neck of the woods.

Thanks to anyone who wants to take the time to contribute to this thread.

John

I've noticed it has been a little warm around the country and it got me to wondering how much does it cost to run a house in various parts of the country.

I've been daydreaming of moving somewhere else for my old man retired years, so I've been bird dogging houses all over the place. I'm looking for a smaller house that I could just pay for in full so I could live off my SS for the most part.

So I guess what I want to ask is how much are your utility bills in the summer and the winter? Do you use central air conditioning or a window box, or just open the windows and sweat it out?

What part of the country do you live in? What type of heating do you have? I'm thinking I will want to buy something around a thousand feet, perhaps a little more. So if you live in a much larger home, I guess your answer wouldn't be of much help, unless larger homes are real cheap in your neck of the woods.

Thanks to anyone who wants to take the time to contribute to this thread.

John

Seems like we've been in the 90's since the middle of May here in the ATL area. I have a modest house, around 1200-1300 sq ft with a full basement and two air conditioning units. The house is all electric with heat pumps. My last two electric bills have been $180 and $188.

I live in a two bed, two bath apartment in Texas, and my last two electric bills have been round $155

Winston-Salem, NC, all electric, heat pumps, right now about $140, winter was $135.

Two story, 1900sf, 3bdrm house.

In other words: cheap.

John do I have a deal for you, our house is for sale, @ $249.900 it is a 1350 square foot one story, 3 bed room 1-3/4 bath, with attached garage/work shop, solarium,and a RV spot with full hook ups. In town on a Natural gas main. All appliances are gas (range, dryer, hot water heater, and furnace) the hot water heater is new this spring, the roof is a life time steel, insulated windows, super insulated walls (2X6 studs) the furnace is a energy efficiency gas. hard wood floors in all rooms and tile in the kitchen and entryway. Our Gas bill (Cascade natural gas) is $80,56 averaged over 2 years. the electric bill (Puget Sound Energy) $42.21 averaged over 2 years, my power tools in the shop are on that bill. we have high speed internet and cable TV.

I had this house custom built in 1987, by the best contractor in the state.

We are on a low traffic side street, 5 minutes from down town. the airport is 3 miles south of town. (OKH) Olympic class skiing is 50 miles away, boating gets no better than Puget Sound. Seattle down town metro is 1-3/4 hour drive or 18 minutes to Boeing Field, PAE is 30 miles by Air, 1 hour by car.

Puget Sound (Whidbey Island) is in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains, we get a 50 year average of 22" of rain per year. mild winters we froze 4 nights last winter, Summer are cool I have seen 5 days in the 90s since I have lived here (1974)

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...p_Oak-Harbor_WA_98277_M11978-57458?source=web

Last edited:
I have about 3800sf. We recently completed a total renovation of the exterior including supplimental insulation of both the walls and roof and we installed new energy efficient HVAC units; a 3 ton heat pump upstairs & a 4 ton dual fuel heat pump downstairs w/ propane back-up (propane since we live in BFE).

Highest electric bill I've had since the upgrade was the last one (a full month of 90's and 100's) at $173.65. And we keep the t-stats at 73 to 75dF.

Winter electric bills run about $100 but I burn a lot of wood (2 to 3 cords).

Spring & Fall electric bills run $60 to $80.

I also have to fill up the propane tank once a year, I do it in the summer when it's typically cheapest. Last month's purchase was $530 for 275 gallons. The water heater, clothes dryer and back-up heat on one furnace are propane.

My total energy costs for the last twelve months = $1,961 ($163.41/mo) + the wood that I cut myself (and enjoy doing!)

Last edited:
What's a heat pump?

I have a ranch-style house which is 1,350 sq ft on the main floor with a fully finished (and heated) basement with walkout. I heat with natural gas and have no air conditioning. My electric bills run about $45/month year round and the natural gas bills range from about $15/month summer to $120/month winter. This is in the far outskirts of the Denver metro area.

Sorry Nick, I was being sarcastic...... Puget Sound is our heat pump, it keeps us warm in the winter and cool in the summer,

Ah! Gotta remember, this is new to me. When I lived in New Mexico, and I mentioned that we had a swamp cooler, most people immediately asked what it was.

I thought maybe heat pumps were the same.

Ah! Gotta remember, this is new to me. When I lived in New Mexico, and I mentioned that we had a swamp cooler, most people immediately asked what it was.

I thought maybe heat pumps were the same.

Swamp cooler= air over water, evap cooling. My Aunt had those in Desert Hot Springs Ca.

They are great for removing desert rust from the house air, or how to make a mud pie on your roof.

John do I have a deal for you, our house is for sale, @ $249.900 it is a 1350 square foot one story, 3 bed room 1-3/4 bath, with attached garage/work shop, solarium,and a RV spot with full hook ups. In town on a Natural gas main. All appliances are gas (range, dryer, hot water heater, and furnace) the hot water heater is new this spring, the roof is a life time steel, insulated windows, super insulated walls (2X6 studs) the furnace is a energy efficiency gas. hard wood floors in all rooms and tile in the kitchen and entryway. Our Gas bill (Cascade natural gas) is $80,56 averaged over 2 years. the electric bill (Puget Sound Energy) $42.21 averaged over 2 years, my power tools in the shop are on that bill. we have high speed internet and cable TV.

We are on a low traffic side street, 5 minutes from down town. the airport is 3 miles south of town. (OKH) Olympic class skiing is 50 miles away, boating gets no better than Puget Sound. Seattle down town metro is 1-3/4 hour drive or 18 minutes to Boeing Field, PAE is 30 miles by Air, 1 hour by car.

Puget Sound (Whidbey Island) is in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains, we get a 50 year average of 22" of rain per year. mild winters we froze 4 nights last winter, Summer are cool I have seen 5 days in the 90s since I have lived here (1974)

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...p_Oak-Harbor_WA_98277_M11978-57458?source=web
Wow, your house sounds a lot like mine, including the utility bills, minus the solarium, although mine is on 3 acres. It's probably worth about the same too. Wanna trade? I love the PNW. Oh wait, there's that job problem and the last thing I need is another residence...

Wow, your house sounds a lot like mine, including the utility bills, minus the solarium, although mine is on 3 acres. It's probably worth about the same too. Wanna trade? I love the PNW. Oh wait, there's that job problem and the last thing I need is another residence...

There is no place in the lower 48 that compares with PNW for beauty, mild climate, or easy living. Oak Harbor caters to the Sailor, and the retired.

Sorry John I love showing off the PNW..

Attachments

• air port.jpg
    air port.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 17
  • S-Flats 2.JPG
    S-Flats 2.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Skagit Flats.JPG
    Skagit Flats.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN2024.jpg
    DSCN2024.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Snow Geese.JPG
    Snow Geese.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Stevens Pass 9.jpg
    Stevens Pass 9.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0867.jpg
    DSCN0867.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0369.jpg
    DSCN0369.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 15
2000sq ft main level with a walk out basement split ranch. Built in 2003 with extra insulation. We run A/C almost all the time in order to dehumidify, and it cost $150 last month. 72 - 75F during home hours. 70F at night.

We have a higher than average electric bill due to 4 large computers running and average $100 in electricity a month with no A/C and $35 for the gas water heater. Winter is an additional $50-$100 in the cold months.

There is no place in the lower 48 that compares with PNW for beauty, mild climate, or easy living. Oak Harbor caters to the Sailor, and the retired.

Sorry John I love showing off the PNW..

ok, dumb question. If it's so great, why are you selling?

(curious, no offense intended)

Tom, my early years were in the PNW. Last year I tried to sell my house and move up to the San Juan Islands, I didn't get one offer in six months. It's a tough time to try and sell, a great time to buy if you can sell what you got.

I've always missed that part of the country, but I do love San Diego as well. The weather is great, the skys are clear most of the time, but damn, it's expensive to live here. I plan on trying again in a few months.

Until I sell my house, I can't do much of anything.

John

1200 sq ft condo in Denver - my gas/electric bill was usually around $35/month, highest was about $75 in the winter.

900 sq ft condo in CA - my gas/electric bill has never been over $50. I've yet to have to turn the AC on, though I did get it running once just to make sure it worked. It stays around 72-75 inside.

600 sq ft apt in OH - sucked energy! gads. I ended up adding seals to the doors, attic doors, taping plastic over the windows in the winter, etc and still my bills were around $130 for heat in the winter just to keep it at 65 and I still felt like I was freezing. Summer wasn't as bad - I just turned on fans and opened the windows most of the time.

ok, dumb question. If it's so great, why are you selling?

(curious, no offense intended)

This is the house that we build to retire and live out our lives here, but life changes and kids move away, now G-Ma D. wants to be nearer the G/Kids. and most every thing we do is now on the main land. (30 miles away)

Plus we have found a Hangar home on the airport at Concrete Wa, That I could do my airplane thing, store the M/H, live, and do my customers annuals and repairs without any commute. and it's 30 minutes closer to the kids.

Life's best planing often changes.

Attachments

• DSCN2209.jpg
    DSCN2209.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN2210.jpg
    DSCN2210.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN2160.jpg
    DSCN2160.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Tom, my early years were in the PNW. Last year I tried to sell my house and move up to the San Juan Islands, I didn't get one offer in six months. It's a tough time to try and sell, a great time to buy if you can sell what you got.

I've always missed that part of the country, but I do love San Diego as well. The weather is great, the skys are clear most of the time, but damn, it's expensive to live here. I plan on trying again in a few months.

Until I sell my house, I can't do much of anything.

John

Nor can I,

I liked S.D when I was stationed at North Island, but I felt great seeing Point Mugu in my rear view mirror. :)

Our contract with the real estate broker runs out 31 Oct, we will pull the house off the market then, If you are interested after that give us a call, we can both save money by dealing direct.

2000 SF house , 30 years old, with some upgraded insulation on the second floor and attic. Northern Virginia. Central NG heating and Electrical AC.

When we moved in - original system - high winter gas bill was $400 and $360 for high summer electrical bill.

After we did the heating/cooling upgrade to a zoned system (four zones each with their own thermostat), the high heating bill is $300 (gas prices have remained within 2%) and the high electric is around $260. I budget around $300 per month for both and that works out.

I'm lucky if I get through any summer month or winter month for less than $700. Spring and fall maybe down to $300. 3500 sq feet with 10 foot ceilings, so it's sort of predictable.

2010 Heating Total: $256.93
2010 Cooling Total: $419.94

I have a 3 bedroom house.

In the summer I keep the house at 72F in the day and 68 at night.
In the winter I leave the thermostat at 72F.

This afternoon, August 7, the temp outside is 92F, and inside is 71F. No air conditioning, just good insulation and cool nights with windows open.

For winter, we use oil forced air, electric space heat, and wood burn. Plenty of wood available on the property, just a matter of effort. The oil and electric heat is a matter of convenience when desired. Often, no heat is needed because you can work up quite a sweat shoveling all of the snow;).

Water is on a private well.

All electric 1200sqft log with lotsa glass (dp). wTx 5000'msl with cool winters, for Tx. 100F this summer, 2 not-so-conserving people. 130/mo summer is the worst. 90/mo spring and fall.

I live in the hot mess called Kansas. We have seen something like 25 days over 100 degrees. We did finally get rain after 30 days. We have a 100+year old, 2200 sf farm house. With an separate upstair and downstair central systems I'm sure we have quite a bill. My wife pays them, I just don't want to know. Retirement is knocking, I just don't think I can stand it much longer in the homeland.

Kevin

I'm lucky if I get through any summer month or winter month for less than $700. Spring and fall maybe down to $300. 3500 sq feet with 10 foot ceilings, so it's sort of predictable.

Holy cow Ken. Where do you live, a wing of Al Gore's Earth-Friendly mansion? ;)

Here in SW Missouri it has been over 100 degrees for the past month. I live in an 1940's farm house with two bedroom' one bath and 1100SF. It has one vent free propane wall heater and two window units for AC. (I hate central air/heat) Propane for the last 12 months has been 550 gallons @ $1.84 = $1012.00. The electric average is $34.75 for the past 12 months.

You guys make me feel better.

We're supposed to have the highest rates in the country now that our nukes sell the power to rest of youse guys...and we pay "market rapes."

I was about to send my Real Time Rate meter to the fires of hell, when teh frugal nerd blogger told me to do some calculations. The fixed rate is $0.078 a KwH. Last month I paid an average ~ $0.055. Luckily, I hadn't sent in the written request to opt-out of real time yet.

Last month bill was $115. This month with the 100 degree days it's $188. It's 3200 sq ft but half is below grade. The below grade part stays comfortabel summer and winter except it gets hot by the south facing windows. There's no A/C in that section anyway.

I had fired up MY frugal nerd skills and re-programmed and activate the programmable thermostat. Soem day I'll get one that my home automation system can tweek to get extra frugal when the rate hit 39 cents a KwH.

The ultimate insult is that that Convict Ed made the real time rates with a demand surcharge so if you ever use juice thats 39 cents a KwH they add a huge penalty "PEAK DEMAND" surcharge to your bill for the next random months. There's some mysterious average-demand-amenesty process that makes the surcharge go away. The 5 1/2 cent rate I paid last month is in spite of the surcharge which was $45-$50!

In my stupidly-large (3700 feet), old and inefficiently-built house, our usual electric is $400/mo summer, low hundred range winter; gas is twenty bucks or so summer, $175-ish winters. This summer, all bets off, I will be amazed if I get away with less than $600.00 this month for electric, but we've been having 106* every day.

If I knew I'd keep the house, there's a lot I'd do in the way of new windows and added insulation; if and when I move, it will be to something much smaller; this much house is silly.

What do you get by buying Tom's house? The chance to live in God's Country and enjoy some of the most beautiful flying in the country.

My power bills (gas and electric) run from about $200 in the summer to $500+ in the winter. Our house is about 3700 square feet and isn't insulated worth a darn. Cathedral ceilings with "some" insulation in 2/3 of the house and NO insulation in the other 1/3. Not much in the walls that I can tell, either. Oh, and we get more rain than Tom does living at the southern end of Puget Sound. 50+ inches of rain a year. 10 more than Seattle.

1800 ft two-story brick (real brick, not fascia) with another 900 sq feet in the basement, which is half finished. 2700 in all. Built in 1968.

Plus a garage that's attached that barely fits a small car, and the unheated detached two-car garage/shop out back.

The attached garage wall backs up to the kitchen cabinets and there's zero insulation there, so if the garage is hot it adds to the main floor's heat load. It's outside walls and attic are insulated, but parking a hot car in there without leaving the garage door open a little while is bad in summer. (It's not as tall as the rest of the house and has it's own roof.)

Brick painted white with white vinyl siding and a minimal layer of insulation underneath that on the upper half. Pretty close to black roof tiles. Helps keep snow from hanging around up there in winter. Good contrast against the bright Red fake shutters on the windows on the front. Or so my wife says. ;)

Highest we've ever seen is $225 for gas/electric combined. Maybe $250 once in ten years. That was a particularly brutal month-long cold snap.

Forced air central natural gas heating. Big overdone 80% efficient Carrier furnace that probably will never die. Heats the whole place up completely on the coldest days in about ten minutes flat. In fact IMHO it short cycles, and I need to find a thermostat with a three to four degree hysteresis to keep it from going on and off so much. Our digital Honeywell only gives one degree hysteresis so it's on/off/on/off all the time. Most of the time it's in non-heat, cool-down mode. Three degree temperature swings would be fine.

Being a computer guy, there's also far too many electronic things on all the time including some high power RF links for the radio club that operate from the basement.

Average year round costs, after replacing the old drafty aluminum windows is $140/month. Prior to that it was about $165. Glad we had a friend make us a good bid on that project, we won't see any return on that investment before it's time to replace them again. ;)

Break even, but not having condensation on aluminum frames and drafts in winter even with storm windows on is much nicer, of course.

No AC, we open the windows at night and run some fans. Put one in the attic hole as an updraft fan. In fact you guys just jinxed it. The $15 box fan motor just died. LOL.

Should really install a whole house fan, but haven't wanted to tackle cutting larger gable vents and dealing with resizing the vinyl siding outside. Too hard to get to the gables without scaffolding on the roof of the garage.

Could also do evaporative cooling here on the super cheap since we're so dry, but maintenance on those standing on a fairly good pitched two-story roof isn't all that fun since Spring and Fall is when we get lots of wind. Also not a fan of the typical square box on the roof. Looks tacky.

Saw some long skinny ones once that looked better and had better build than most, and were also designed to be distributed via standard air vents in the second story room ceilings, ran off of a thermostat and an outdoor humidity sensor, but didn't pursue it. It was pretty high-end, at four times as expensive as the big ugly boxes, and that didn't include the vents or duct work needed.

May still do that type one if these days if I can find one that's not outrageously priced. Water cooling works pretty well here in the high desert plains.

We have a small AC unit for the bedroom during the hottest part of summer (now) which will get rolled back into a closet and put away by end of August or so once daytime temps fall below 90 and stay there. Have a bigger window unit we inherited but getting it up into a second story window isn't easy.

Good insulation in the walls and attic but the old blown in fluff stuff could use a layer of the pink stuff without vapor block rolled down on top of it up in the attic. It just fills the space between the joists and if you dig a bit with a foot, you can walk on them up there.

No cathedral ceilings, closets only big enough to hold a tiny wardrobe (wife converted one of the bedrooms to a dressing room since she has racks of barbershop quartet and chorus costumes) but well built and well insulated with brick painted white.

Rare to see the living room get above 85F on the hottest days of over 100F outside. If we get it opened up the second the OAT drops below the internal temp in the evening and button it up before that reverses in the morning, the worst is 80F by late afternoon.

In the winter we make use of a standard timer thermostat with 65F when we're away and 68 or 70F or higher if we feel like it, from 5PM to midnight. It takes until about 4 AM to drop from 72 to 65 on all but the below zero nights. Then it plateaus in my testing and tends to hold there for a while. The furnace rarely cycles at all when set to 65F in the daytime in winter.

There's a reason I call the newer houses with cardboard walls, "shoebox quality". Brick walls rock.

Oh. Ceiling fans everywhere just to move the air around a bit too. ;)

2200 sqft Cape with full basement on Geothermal Heat Pump in east central indiana. Weather here has been in the mid to upper 90's for a bit (not normal). Our highest bill for the airconditioning months has been $130 with normal being around $80/mo. Winter's highest has been $220 or so. Last winter was much colder than normal for longer so we're looking at extremes. The whole house is electric except the propane stove so the costs include water heating (preheated by the geothermal) and everything else.

Frank

Mine was $155 for the house last month and hangar was $89, though Im not sure how I will get them paid yet.

Then there's the San Francisco condo where I've never seen the PG&E (gas and electric) bill more than about $25. It's usually in the teens. The heater almost never kicks on and there is no AC. Granted, it's mostly unoccupied now except when I use it as my "hotel" but I think I have only used the heater on about 2 days in the past couple years. I decided to change the furnace filter because I imagined it had not been replaced in 25 years but it was not dirty.

Right now in Houston you'll pay 09-15 cents per KWh for electric and that's low considering what is was a few years ago. I'm at 10.0/kWh (3 year contract) - my 2000 sq ft home ran me $225 last month. Gas was $30, water was $70.

In the summer we just set the thermostat to "on" during the day and about 75 at night.

Last edited:
... This summer, all bets off, I will be amazed if I get away with less than $600.00 this month for electric, but we've been having 106* every day...

Well, I got a bill for $668.62.

Ouch!

Back