What Are Your Goals For 2010?

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Not to steal anything away from the '09 thread, but what aviation / personal goals do you have for the upcoming year?

1. Start IFR training.
2. Add lights and get RV-12 painted.
3. Attend SnF & OSH and other "experimental / homebuilder" airshows
4. Fly!

To continue my so-far-successful record of not worrying about that stuff. It somehow seems to take care of itself. Or if it doesn't, I either don't notice or can't remember. I just hope to be able to remember the combination to the lock on the hangar.

Not to steal anything away from the '09 thread, but what aviation / personal goals do you have for the upcoming year?

1. Start IFR training.
2. Add lights and get RV-12 painted.
3. Attend SnF & OSH and other "experimental / homebuilder" airshows
4. Fly!

To continue my so-far-successful record of not worrying about that stuff. It somehow seems to take care of itself. Or if it doesn't, I either don't notice or can't remember. I just hope to be able to remember the combination to the lock on the hangar.

Please do not take offense, but this is why I set goals. Flying is too important to me for it to become just "something to do". I want everytake off and landing to be something special. I want every trip to the airport filled with anticipation. I want every flight to be special and fun. Setting goals just keeps my mind thinking about how to improve all of the above.

Please do not take offense, but this is why I set goals. Flying is too important to me for it to become just "something to do". I want everytake off and landing to be something special. I want every trip to the airport filled with anticipation. I want every flight to be special and fun. Setting goals just keeps my mind thinking about how to improve all of the above.

Can't it be both? :dunno:

We may have specific goals and days when we want to accomplish a specific mission or set of tasks.

Then there are times when we just fly -- no objective, no destination, no PTS to prep for, etc.

When I was racing road bikes it was go go go, push push push every ride. When we bought the tandem, I realized riding a bike could just be fun.

Can't it be both? :dunno:

We may have specific goals and days when we want to accomplish a specific mission or set of tasks.

Then there are times when we just fly -- no objective, no destination, no PTS to prep for, etc.

When I was racing road bikes it was go go go, push push push every ride. When we bought the tandem, I realized riding a bike could just be fun.

Totally agree! I don't want flying to become "unfun" or boring. I love aviation and the people in it! :blowingkisses:

Last edited:
next year hopefully flying a contest, gold altitude/distance, get leah her certificate, keep having fun.

1.) save money to buy. probably not till '11 though.
2.) get my commercial

1) Teach my son to fly
2) Schedule and pass CFI-IA practical (January!!)
3) Attend one POA fly-in
4) Attend one Aeronca fly-in
5) Master crosswinds in the Chief (Ain't as easy as a trike)

Buy a go-fast airplane and go visit all my kids and grandkids and as many of my siblings as I can stand (or can stand me).

Get my LP-49 up again, achieve the bronze glider badge and set one state record, just to agitate a few of the old timers who need some competition.

From the other thread:

1) Get MEI
2) Get CFII
3) Continue growing Cloud Nine Rescue Flights
4) Attend Wings, Gaston's, 6Y9, and WV62

Goals:
1. Buy a plane
2. Fly ARF Flights.
3. ....
4. Profit.

Get my LP-49 up again, achieve the bronze glider badge and set one state record, just to agitate a few of the old timers who need some competition.

:thumbsup: Don's records have been hanging around for a long time.

Finish single add-on for Comm

3 new states

At least 165 hours

Find a hangar in NJ (I might have accomplished this already)

Seaplane rating or tailwheel endorsement

Andrew, you're going to run out of states soon! :)

Doh!

I almost forgot about my flying!

1. Alaska trip!
2. Finish off my states on the map by planning a northeast trip.

I want to go to Alaska and the Bahamas.
Commercial.
Burn lots of Avgas.

:thumbsup: Don's records have been hanging around for a long time.

You put your finger right on it, Tony. I was teasing Don about it the other day. He will go up in a heartbeat if one of his records is broken.

Good for you. Knock yourself out. Hope it works out like you planned.

Alaska via North Dakota.

That is the only goal. The fly-ins I will attend are not goals. They will happen.

Goals:
1. Buy a plane
2. Fly ARF Flights.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Fix'd ;)

For me,

1) Get private certificate
2) Put a sizable dent in the instrument rating
3) Take a ride in a Beech Mentor or something similar that I see so often around SEG :D :D

That's the plan. Then I start counting Canadian provinces. Only one of those so far.:smile:

What Amzed me when I bought some of my Canadian charts was just how much nothing there is out there, not to mention the number of NDB approaches. I'm looking forward to exploring it someday as well!

What Amzed me when I bought some of my Canadian charts was just how much nothing there is out there, not to mention the number of NDB approaches. I'm looking forward to exploring it someday as well!

No kidding. Vast areas of blank.

Finish single add-on for Comm

3 new states

At least 165 hours

Find a hangar in NJ (I might have accomplished this already)

Seaplane rating or tailwheel endorsement

My plan, when I finally get around to this, is to spend at least a month on Lake Como and knock it out.

:D I think we're in the same mode. :D

OH, except I don't have a lock on my hangar. ;)

Get my instrument and attend S-n-F.

1. Finish my instrument rating.
2. Buy a handheld GPS with XM weather.
3. Buy a handheld radio for COMM backup.
4. Meet Bruce halfway after we're both rated. :)
5. Take some friends to MCD.
6. Fly to SJX and do a bicycle tour of Beaver Island.
7. Add another state to my map. (Indiana? Illinois?)

See, I don't have any really ambitious plans. Just one easy goal at a time. :)

Last edited:
My plan, when I finally get around to this, is to spend at least a month on Lake Como and knock it out.

Is that going to be an add-on to the ASEL? How is that going to work stateside being an Italy-issued certificate?

1.) Help dad fly the test hours off the -10
2.) 6Y9
3.) Wings
4.) Finish up Commercial
5.) Try to make SnF for the first time, since we'll be a LOT closer after moving from Iowa to Atlanta in a few weeks...

Is that going to be an add-on to the ASEL? How is that going to work stateside being an Italy-issued certificate?

Absolutely no idea, and I don't care. I just want to live on Lake Como for a month (or more). I figure I can learn how to do it there and then just certificate here, if it came to it.

My goals:

1) Learn to weld 4130 chromoly tubing (going to the EAA welding seminar in January. Yippee!)
2) Finish fabricating all of my parts for my Sonex
3) Assemble the Tail, Wings, and part (most?) of the fuselage.
4) Visit the GA airports in San Jose Costa Rica and Medellin Colombia (not as a pilot, just going to drive by and check them out).

1. Finish my instrument rating.
2. Buy a handheld GPS with XM weather.
3. Buy a handheld radio for COMM backup.
4. Take some friends to MCD.
5. Fly to SJX and do a bicycle tour of Beaver Island.
6. Add another state to my map. (Indiana? Illinois?)

See, I don't have any really ambitious plans. Just one easy goal at a time. :)

Hey...What about meeting me half way?:frown3:

Don't know how I could have forgotten about that one, Bruce, sorry.:redface: It's fixed now.

How are your lessons coming? Did you get any more actual?

Get a new 6 pack of closed rental Tee-hangars built at KRUE.

Construction starts June 1. Also doing a bunch of pavement repair on taxiways. Got two grants totaling a little over $600K. All 6 hangars already have committed renters

Last edited:
Absolutely no idea, and I don't care. I just want to live on Lake Como for a month (or more). I figure I can learn how to do it there and then just certificate here, if it came to it.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Details details details. Who gives?! As if flying around Lake Como for a month isn't enough!!!!

Back