What Are Your Aviation Goals For 2013?

1. Get checked out in the G1000 C172 at my airport (mostly because it isn't rented to students so it's available much more than the steam gauge C172's).
  2. Get checked out in the DA-20's the airport 10 min from my new apartment is suppose to get next month.
  3. Fly the New York City Skyline Route or VFR Corridor.

I'll bet you are real fun at a party.

I am. I am good at making mixed drinks. LOL

I am even more fun on airliners.
Other passenger: "So what do you do for a living?"
Me: "Are you afraid of flying? If so, you really don't want to know."

The last flight I was on I was sitting there reading a book called "They Called It Pilot Error" just to mess with my soon-to-be mother-in-law who has to take Ativan just to get on a plane.

Finish my instrument (thought I'd have it done, but oh well!)
Get commercial ASEL
Get commercial ASES (so excited for this one)
Get CFI
Be content with my ratings and enjoy the aircraft ownership and traveling a bit with it!

BTW I started flight training in January of 2012 so I've done a lot in short period of time. I have 100 hours in my plane and about 180tt. I love continuing flight training but I really, really can't wait to get the instrument ticket wet when I get it.

100 hours. Help my wife pass her checkride. A few 3 and 4 sectional cross country trips. No accidents or incidents.

Complete the 34V project, fly, have a little fun, move on.

1. Don't kill myself in a plane
2. Don't kill anyone else with my plane
3. Don't get violated
4. Don't lose my medical
5. Hope the idiots running my airline don't fly it into the ground :mad2:

The marks are aim points. You can land two or three on a runway at basically the same time. Not supposed to over fly. Theoretically all planes will clear the runway before the next group gets to their touchdown points.

Over all, the system works well.

If I understand what your saying, there might be three planes on final, and first gets the far, second gets the next closer, and maybe a third lands the numbers?

I hope no one gets an extra long float.

What Are Your Aviation Goals For 2013?

Be a little bit better than I used to be.

I'll finish up my IR (only 10 hours in so a long way to go) and jump right into my Commercial hopefully. I think this will be a good year of flying for me. :yes:

1. Don't kill myself in a plane
2. Don't kill anyone else with my plane
3. Don't get violated
4. Don't lose my medical
5. Hope the idiots running my airline don't fly it into the ground :mad2:

+1 on those goals. Except #5 since I'm only responsible for myself and that is tough enough.

My main goals are;
1) Solo before school ends
2) Intern at the EAA Air Academy Lodge (get the internship)
3) Get my Pvt. Pilot's license
4) Finally I believe most important showing the kids who have physical disabilities that they can still fly because I met a little boy who just stared at his legs when I asked him if he wanted to JUST see the cockpit and declined...give those kids hope and inspiration! :)

Commercial would be great to achieve before they jack it up to 1500 hrs minimum.

Hm...I guess I don't understand the new rules. I thought you could still get the Commercial with (250/whatever) but Part 121 required the 1500 hrs.

Oh well, I'll never get my COMM then.

Hm...I guess I don't understand the new rules. I thought you could still get the Commercial with (250/whatever) but Part 121 required the 1500 hrs.

Oh well, I'll never get my COMM then.

I''m guessing he got Commercial confused with ATP?

I just want to get the cherokee out of the shop with a working engine. It's been down since Sept 10. Not a happy camper.

In the event I keep the cherokee:

1) finish the IR (not as long as Nate, but I've been working on mine since 2007)
2) More AngelFlight, more Pilots n Paws, more Young Eagles
3) Find a full-time job to pay for all this

Is it to late to add to my previous post, that I want to marry a Sugar Momma. Who will buy me a Velocity Twin Kit, Two IO-320 Engines/Props, and a full G1000 suite, and all the tools, and other pieces I am forgetting.

And do you want this sugar momma to be butt ugly so she doesn't interfere with your flying time?

I just want to get the cherokee out of the shop with a working engine. It's been down since Sept 10. Not a happy camper.

In the event I keep the cherokee:

1) finish the IR (not as long as Nate, but I've been working on mine since 2007)
2) More AngelFlight, more Pilots n Paws, more Young Eagles
3) Find a full-time job to pay for all this

Why has it taken so long?

- Fly at least as many hours as I did this year. (I believe this is the first year I flew over 100 hours, ever. I'd have to look to be sure.

- Travel with the 182. Problematic because of wimpy vacation time at the job. Whether that leads to looking for a different employer is still way up in the air. I'm willing to work damn hard for people, but they need to understand I go play hard to survive it, too.

- More IMC. And an IPC. Would like to go get a hard Instrument workout in a Redbird too. Perhaps with the IPC. Have one instructor in mind, who's local and tough. Not sure his availability.

- A general goal is to keep all ratings current at all times, also. Never let Day, IR, or Night currency lapse, ever. That's been a standard goal of mine since returning to flying a few years ago.

- Big "maybes"... Glider rating. Or Commercial rating. Still on the fence on those. See "always current" goal. I won't do it unless I can maintain at LEAST the PTS standard at all times. It's a significant time suck to mix those goals. And I kinda find saying just the PTS is a bit lower than I'd like for an ongoing standard.

- More fly-ins. Especially with you folks. See top goal.

- Continue discussion about IFR GPS equipping the bird. Willing to spend a pile of cash for it, but needs to be at a happy place for all co-owners.

- Alright this one's strange but I've been shooting a lot recently... make a list of airports with nearby shooting ranges and a reasonable way to get there for a couple of hours. ;) Might as well mix hobbies, eh? Haha. Karen has also taken up a big interest, so mixing those would be fun.

I should add to gt night current. I have only been current once and was in training for my ppl.

-

- Alright this one's strange but I've been shooting a lot recently... make a list of airports with nearby shooting ranges and a reasonable way to get there for a couple of hours. ;) Might as well mix hobbies, eh? Haha. Karen has also taken up a big interest, so mixing those would be fun.

Why not just shoot from the plane? :dunno:

:rofl:

-
- Big "maybes"... Glider rating.

That was one of my goals in 2011. But for me, personally, it was the most boring type of flying I have ever done. Go in circles for a while and then land. Even the landings were sort of a let down -- I thought that would be a high intensity activity, but not so.

Maybe if there were mountain waves rather than thermals, it would be more interesting.

So I would certainly suggest you try it, but don't commit a lot of bucks or schedule a block of time and burn a lot of annual leave until you've done a few . . . I was going to say "hours" . . . but its more like multiple sessions of about 18 minutes.

To those who have a glider rating and enjoy it, that's great. It just wasn't for me.

1) Stay Alive
2) Having accomplished 1, not have an accident/incident "I have a number for you to call" scenario
3) Accomplish 1&2 by a combination of proficiency and the discipline to maintain a high margin of safety which may mean canceling, postponing, departing early or rerouting even though I really don't want to.
4) Be lucky
5) End the year with a plane that has at least six seats, a full fuel useful load of at least 700lbs, a cruise speed of 185+ knots and at least FIKI.

Are the marks on the runway to get you closer to where you are parking? Or, might another aircraft be overflying another to land further down at another mark?

The controllers tell you to land on a colored dot, then exit asap where they tell you. There may be another plane in front of you. Never fly over another airplane on the runway to land, go around.

Last edited:
My 2013 goals:

1. Start construction on the RV-7a.
  2. HP endorsement (almost there now).
  3. Grass strips, as many as possible, in as many aircraft as I can.
  4. I want to fly Young Eagles flights, and/or fly with as many family members as passengers as possible.
  5. Make a serious start on training for my instrument rating.
  6. Finish the RV wings.

For 2013, my goals are to

-Sell the one-door plane and buy a two door plane. Increase the climb rate with the upgrade plane too.

-Fly less, actually. 250hrs YTD of the same 840NM round trip in a tuck-n-slide 110TAS warrior got PAINFUL about halfway through the year. That mission is going away in 2013 thank God.

-Make destination variety a focus of my flying. Hoping to travel nearby and explore with the wife and bebe. Trips to coastal destinations sound like an interesting goal. Until the kiddo gets of flying age, flying will probably be solo, so counting on an 70/30 solo/pax mission mix.

-Enjoy the privilege of recreational flying while it lasts. This thing looks bleaker and bleaker by the year. I sure hope I can still afford to "feel free to travel across the Country" in one's personal airplane long enough for my children to see it one time...

To get the hell out of designing, building and test-flying, and just fly again.

Last edited:
No goals for this year, but haven't ever had any for prior years either and it seems to have worked out.

Will continue to take advantages of opportunities to do the things I like to do and duck the ones I don't. A friend is getting a Citation and wants me to help with his training and fly with him until he is comfortable, so might do that if sufficient golf trips are involved.

The L2 should be finished sometime this year (like we've been thinking for the past five years) but this time the engine runs have been accomplished and it's almost ready to fly. Might hire some kid to fly it to Rockford, then climb in and fly the last 30 minutes to OSH. ANW I'm flying that thing all the way from Dallas to Wisconsin.

1. Keep working on the instrument rating (Still need some x/c time, written, etc).
2. Fly more often.
3. HP endorsement.
4. Complex endorsement.

The L2 should be finished sometime this year (like we've been thinking for the past five years) but this time the engine runs have been accomplished and it's almost ready to fly. Might hire some kid to fly it to Rockford, then climb in and fly the last 30 minutes to OSH. ANW I'm flying that thing all the way from Dallas to Wisconsin.

I have to ask, what's an L2?

Finish my instrument rating, I'm so close.

Fly the Malibu to Oshkosh and the Caribbean islands.

Fly both aircraft out of KS to a new home in the northeast.

Proposed for 2012 that did get done:
Finished flying all eight grandchildren.
Land at every airport within 100 miles of Sparta, IL (KSAR) except class B
Take tailwheel refresher (I soloed in Aeronica Champ in 7/16/1970 and didn't fly a tail wheel again until last year)

Proposed in 2012 that didn't get done:
Get comfortable flying the tail wheel Fly Baby
Fly 75 hours (only did 50 hours)

New for 2013:

Ercoupe:
Fly to First Flight (Kitty Hawk) in Ercoupe
Fly to Brady Texas (I flew from the Canadian border to Brady along longitude line 99 -- longest north-south line over land in US) but did not make it to Mexico.

Fly Baby:
Get the Fly Baby repaired after my “good” landing on 8/13/2012
Get comfortable flying the tail wheel Fly Baby
Make an overnight cross-country in the Fly Baby

Other Aircraft:
Continue to work on the Pietenpol with Scrounge Dawg partners
Continue to work on the Zenith 601B
Continue to work on the “display” Demoiselle with the Ultralight club

Ultralight
Fly in an ultralight and see how I like it

That was one of my goals in 2011. But for me, personally, it was the most boring type of flying I have ever done. Go in circles for a while and then land. Even the landings were sort of a let down -- I thought that would be a high intensity activity, but not so.

Maybe if there were mountain waves rather than thermals, it would be more interesting.

So I would certainly suggest you try it, but don't commit a lot of bucks or schedule a block of time and burn a lot of annual leave until you've done a few . . . I was going to say "hours" . . . but its more like multiple sessions of about 18 minutes.

To those who have a glider rating and enjoy it, that's great. It just wasn't for me.
You know, I had the exact same reaction the first time I flew in a glider several years ago. Recently I gave it another go, while I was on a business trip, to CO. I'm so glad I did. I've gotten hooked, joined a local club, and since gotten the rating. I'm not sure what made the difference, but since that flight on the business trip, I've loved every flight. There is just something so fantastic about coring a thermal just right, and keeping an aircraft in the air with nothing other than mother nature, and your skill.
My longest flights have been almost an hour, which for the cost of the 30 dollar tow is a pretty cheap way to get in the air. Sure, sometimes you get a 18 min, sled ride, but those thermaling and ridge soaring flights more than make up for the experience. I think some soaring clubs, and CFIG's put all the emphasis on just getting the rating, which really requires no soaring at all, so that some students lose sight of the goal, which is becoming a great soaring pilot, not just somebody who is able to aero-tow, and then glide to the field.

There is something in the challenge of staying aloft, (and next season going xc) that I find addictive, in a way that looking for an excuse to motor a 172 from point a to point b never held.

Wayne, a friend of ours (our mechanic) owns an L2-M (photo of his Taylorcraft in our driveway attached) and we may fly down along side him to the Taylorcraft fly-in at Fort Parker next spring. Are you going to that fly-in?

Attachments

• Zach's L2.JPG
    Zach's L2.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 30
Link to blog entry on my goals for this year:http://iflyblog.com/2013/01/04/new-years-resolutions-aviation-style/#more-2955

#1 Fly more! I only put 50 hours on the RV-8 last year. This year I’d like to double that number.

#2 Make some epic flying videos. Armed with my new GoPro and my old Drift170HD, I’d love to make a few edits that really stand out.

#3 Give more rides. I have a backlog of rides I have promised folks. Time to whittle that down.

#4 Volunteer at 3 or more aviation events; be it giving Young Eagles rides at a rally or working the grounds at Oshkosh.

#5 Do at least one thing to further my aviation education, could be an add-on rating or some kind of course or seminar.

#6 Get the RV-8 IFR certified and fly it IMC. It needs a pitot static and a transponder check first. I also want a backup handheld radio (Looking at the Sporty’s SP-400 NAV/COMM) and she’ll be good to go.

#7 Mentor at least one person, could be a newbie or an active pilot.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind getting my ATP in 2013 but it'll probably be more like 2014 given the interesting turns life throws my way.

Dunno. It's been so long since we've flown it that I've lost track of the activities of the owner group. No plans at this point, since I've learned that whatever I'm told about this project won't happen anyway, other than then need to continue writing checks.

Wayne, a friend of ours (our mechanic) owns an L2-M (photo of his Taylorcraft in our driveway attached) and we may fly down along side him to the Taylorcraft fly-in at Fort Parker next spring. Are you going to that fly-in?

Back