What Are Your Aviation Goals For 2013?

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Time to make some flying goals. Without goals you are doomed to slide into mediocrity as a pilot. Not good. :nono:

Are you going to fly more? To where?
Finish your PPL?
Pick up your Instrument rating?
Make a goal of flying to all airports in your state?

I am 4 states away from having done T&G's in all 50 states. Hawaii is next on the list as the wife decided we need a vacation. :dunno: I'm in. :lol: Alaska this summer right after CT & DE.

Life is good with goals. ;)

Last edited:
Gotta get the engine on the Velocity overhauled early in the year and possibly get my multi engine rating by the end of the year.

Finish my PPL is definitely at the top of the list.

If I can get that accomplished, I'd like to fly to...

38D and/or YNG
3C1
PZQ
BKL

For once, do some flying for personal reasons rather than always for a job.

Keep on doing Cloud Nine flights as well, of course. :)

I'll probably break the 100 hour mark for the year, but not by much.

Geico,

A flying Alaska trip has always been on my bucket list. I lived there for about 3.5 years in the early 80's and loved it. I have been back three times for vacation. Bought a book on flying the AlCan highway long time ago and would love to do that some day.

How are you planning to make that trip, sounds exciting.

Start and possibly (very possibly) finish the commercial rating... Join the CPS groups annual fly-in to the Pacific NW or Calgary (that's gonna have to be a commercial trip out: fuel $$ and time aren't in the cards for that one)

Try to get my wife into the plane....so far, no luck :-(

Instrument ride probably in Jan/Feb, commercial in the summer, and start studying for the CFI.

I think I am gonna try and get the CFII this year. Maybe try for the glider thing if I can find some more time.

Hours: At least 100 and I hope to pass a total time of 850 hours
New Airports: My typical, as many as possible! Finally land on grass.
New States: Again, as many as possible!
Ratings: Still giving the commercial some thought
Flights: Looking forward to BAC Fest 2013 in Virginia Beach and as many Ocean City, MD beach flights as possible this summer. Time to head west and fill in a few states. Mackinac Island - KMCD is on our list for the annual get-away.
Aircraft Upgrades: Correct my traffic alert issues with a new transponder. Maybe finally get the WAAS upgrade for my Garmin 530.

Last edited:
Commercial would be great to achieve before they jack it up to 1500 hrs minimum.

Keep going to the airport until I am so old that the gang starts saying, "Oh jeez, here he comes again." as they run for their cars.

Getting even is fun :)

Get my helicopter add-on. Finish instrument Airplane. Start commercial in both. Think about CFI.
Above all, fly more.

Build Flight Experience with my new PPL.
Join a Flying Club.
Fly into Sun N Fun, or Air Venture.
Get my IR.
Befriend more Pilots!

Instrument Rating.

Twin time if I can get the IR done.

Fly to the Chicago area and cruise past the skyline.

Fly to the Chicago area and cruise past the skyline.

:yes: Very nice! I plan on copying that one, but 2014 is probably more realistic for me. I hope you make that one happen, and don't forget to take some pictures!

Watching them get the wimmin and chidren off the streets when the engine starts is even better.

Keep going to the airport until I am so old that the gang starts saying, "Oh jeez, here he comes again." as they run for their cars.

Getting even is fun :)

My wife and I plan to fly our 172 from Daytona Beach to Phoenix this fall. That will probably be close 4k nm total (which will include a little extra site seeing).

And if other things fall into place we plan to get her IFR rating in 2013.

Oh yeah, of course, how could I forget this?

Fly to OSHKOSH as PIC! I have actually flown in once before but as a passenger, so it doesn't count.

183815_260060864007885_468490_n.jpg

Geico,

A flying Alaska trip has always been on my bucket list. I lived there for about 3.5 years in the early 80's and loved it. I have been back three times for vacation. Bought a book on flying the AlCan highway long time ago and would love to do that some day.

How are you planning to make that trip, sounds exciting.

Fuel plane, pack passport, pack bags, put bags in plane, start engine. :rofl:

I'm not much of a detailed planning guy. I would rather fly. :rofl:

I have a route I copied from another guy. Looks good to me. :dunno: ;)

Oh yeah, of course, how could I forget this?

Fly to OSHKOSH as PIC! I have actually flown in once before but as a passenger, so it doesn't count.

183815_260060864007885_468490_n.jpg

Are the marks on the runway to get you closer to where you are parking? Or, might another aircraft be overflying another to land further down at another mark?

2013 Goals:
1) Over 500 hours total time
2) CP-ASEL
3) CP-AMEL

Are the marks on the runway to get you closer to where you are parking? Or, might another aircraft be overflying another to land further down at another mark?

I forget what dot we were told to land on, but basically we rolled to the end of RWY 36 to A1, taxied via Alpha, Bravo, then on some grass taxiway to park on the North 40 on the southwest corner of RWY 6/27. After you land, you stick a sign in your window and the volunteers will marshal you into your parking spot.

206086_262594150421223_2599645_n.jpg

267236_262594533754518_3064890_n.jpg

This is what it looks like in the North 40 camping area:
284444_261666160514022_1888544_n.jpg

It's all in the NOTAM. If you are on the FAA FAASTEAM you might be notified of local FAA Safety seminars regarding how to fly into Oshkosh via the FISK arrival.

293239_483571488323487_213003246_n.jpg

First, I want simply to fly more this year than last. (That's my goal for every year, anyway.)

Next, I would like to get my multi rating. Problem with that is that the flight school where I rent has only one multi, and it is not available for X-Cs.

I've flown all the inhabited Hawaiian islands except Lanai, Molokai, and Kauai. I'll check off Kauai this January!

1. Finish my design and maybe actually start building
2. Wind up with as few of you guys and my other flying friends as part of my research as possible

1. Finish my design and maybe actually start building
2. Wind up with as few of you guys and my other flying friends as part of my research as possible

Maybe why you haven't completed the design or started your plane. :dunno: You can cross me off your helper list right now. :mad:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Amazing what one wrong word can do to a sentence. ;)

Maybe why you haven't completed the design or started your plane. :dunno: You can cross me off your helper list right now. :mad:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Amazing what one wrong word can do to a sentence. ;)

:dunno: Maybe I am missing something but the second point was just referring to not having anyone else die or get hurt in crashes since that is what I work researching.

MORE. I'm taking my workaholic wife on a low, slow, and simple tour of the Great Basin with stops in Moab, Brice Canyon, Grand Canyon, Zion, and Lost Wages in an attempt to lure her into retirement.

The marks are aim points. You can land two or three on a runway at basically the same time. Not supposed to over fly. Theoretically all planes will clear the runway before the next group gets to their touchdown points.

Over all, the system works well.

My goal is to get my IR.

My harder-to-reach goal is to get myself an airplane of my own. I've been working hard on growing my business and hopefully some good things are to come in the new year which will allow me to pursue my dream of ownership.

1. Glider Rating
2. Single Engine ATP
3. Sell Airplane

Not necessarily in that order.

And I may or may not accomplish any of those, but most likely to happen is to sell the airplane

1. Fly more
2. See more of all of you
3. Hopefully, mentor one or more folks into pilothood (I've gotten a few over the years)
4. Perhaps multi and/or Commercial

Finish my ATP and teach my son to fly instruments over his summer break from college.

I'd like to do a REAL cross-country adventure, as in out to the Bay Area. I would be staying with a friend out there, doing some touring both at ground level and flying, maybe meet some PoAers out in CA-land.

Hopefully meet some more of you closer to home, keep doing dinner runs and cyclotouring day trips, maybe a PnP mission or two.

And if I don't finish the IR this year, then in 2013 for sure.

Back