What are you reading?

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Well I thought I would rehash an older thread.

What are all of the PoA readers reading?

Right now I just started Doris Kearns Goodwin's new book "Team of Rivals" a new book about the Lincoln presidency. Good read thus far :yes:

So let's hear whats on your nightstand...

Just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Re-reading "Thief of Time" by Terry Pratchett.

Recent books (I read 5 to 7 a week):
  • Hundred Dollar Baby - Robert B Parker
  • Fallen Angels - Niven, Pournelle and Flynn
  • The Dak Jinnaka trilogy - John Barnes
  • Bax Seat - Gordon Baxter
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -
    • This one gets a week of it's own because I have to stop and ponder stuff after each chapter. Normally I read it at OSH if I fly out and camp, as it's a great read in a tent after after a day of quality airplanes and friends new and old. But I only spent two days at OSH (by CAR - ugh) this year.

"American Soldier" General Tommy Franks w/ Malcolm McConnell

A Gift of Wings by Richards Bach
Fly for Fun With Bill Thomas by Bill Thomas

1491, New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann. Yer typical airport title. I've found it fascinating and eye opening so far - about 2/3 of the way through. It is basically a very readable (targeted at everyman) summary of the new findings about pre-Columbus society in the western hemisphere.

Next up I have to admit is Thirteen Moons by Charles Frasier - can't help myself, I loved Cold Mountain.

Finished reading a book about Don Sheldon last week.

Flying Wisdom by Barry Schiff. It's book 3 of his excellent Proficient Pilot series. I'd highly recommend them all.

Chris

Just finished Exploring the Monster by Robert Whelen, the tale of the pioneers of soaring in mountain lee waves. very very good, i recommend it to all.

next up i think is the first harry potter book. leah is getting sick of me pretending to know anything about the series when ive only seen the movies.

well, I just read this thread.

I don't read. I don't believe in them. Colbert stole my idea for his show.

Good idea. Last few books are "Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, "Hawke" by Ted Bell, and current is "Map of Bones" by James Rollins. The last is sort of a "Da Vinci Code" type book.

Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason. An excellent book about a vietnam helicopter pilot. Can't put it down.

silver-eagle said:
Good idea. Last few books are "Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, "Hawke" by Ted Bell, and current is "Map of Bones" by James Rollins. The last is sort of a "Da Vinci Code" type book.

Since I've read the first two and liked them, please let me know if you like "Map of Bones". I'm always looking for something new to read.

Just got "Lute! The Seasons of My Life" by Lute Olson last week for my birthday. I played a couple of years of college basketball, so I'm a jock at heart I guess. Happened to stumble onto a radio interview with Coach Olson a while back and told my wife that if anyone asked what to get me for my b-day to put that book on the list. So far, it's still 70+ hrs/week at work, so I haven't had a chance to get into it at all yet.

Once I get that one done, I plan to jump back in to "Flyboys" by James Bradley. (Not related to the movie, by the way.)

-Chris

TMetzinger said:
  • Bax Seat - Gordon Baxter

If you can read "It Only Hurts When I Flap My Arms" with dry eyes, you're a stronger man than I. Especially poignant for me is Bax's commentary and description of the reaction he got when that column was published (for those who don't know, it's when he reveals the seizures which grounded him), and this one in particular, especially significant since we've lost him. Mentioning one letter he got from a reader:

To the one who wrote, "Come with me, fly beside me, use my airplane, anytime anywhere," I answered, "I will be with you. When you are flying into a sunset and the golden light is level with the chord line of your wing, shadowing the lift curve, and every rivet head stands in its own little shadow of strength, I will be with you then. We won't have to talk."

Man.

###

I have been reading a series of books about a fictional town called Mitford, in (I think) North Carolina, written by Jan Karon- first book entitled, "At Home In Mitford."

These homey, meandering stories revolve around the Rector of a small Episcopal church, and (I must be getting old) are good, clean fun.

I sometimes pick up Fate is the Hunter for a chapter or two, have probably read it (in the aggregate) 30 times, yet it never fails to satisfy.

SCCutler said:
If you can read "It Only Hurts When I Flap My Arms" with dry eyes, you're a stronger man than I.

Can't do it - I bawl like a baby. My daughter asked "Daddy, why are you crying" when she saw me.

Already decided to pee on the tires of the next airplane I own, in memory of Bax.

Over halfway through "Flag of our Fathers." The bravery and sacrifice of those Marines was incredible. Had to stop reading many times 'cause the tears in my eyes made it impossible to see the words.
Simultaneously about 25% into the previously mentioned "A Team of Rivals." It's kind of a heavy read.
On deck is fellow Mooney owner's "The Fair Tax Book."

CJones said:
Just got "Lute! The Seasons of My Life" by Lute Olson last week for my birthday. I played a couple of years of college basketball, so I'm a jock at heart I guess. Happened to stumble onto a radio interview with Coach Olson a while back and told my wife that if anyone asked what to get me for my b-day to put that book on the list. So far, it's still 70+ hrs/week at work, so I haven't had a chance to get into it at all yet.

Once I get that one done, I plan to jump back in to "Flyboys" by James Bradley. (Not related to the movie, by the way.)

-Chris

This whole post I was anticipating something like "really enjoying the next chapter of the Instrument Flying handbook"

sigh :)

I am reading "Ordinary Heroes" by Scott Turow... mostly because I needed a book to read while I waited for my airline flight and it was half-price at the airport store.

I mentioned Rattlesnake Bomber Base, its about a WWII B25/29 base near here.
Apparently back in the 40s in this part of the world, the sky was full of airplanes...all training young pilots for their missions overseas. I can't imagine a town of 100 swelling to 40,000 overnight, the desert suddenly packed with men, vehicles, tents, and airplanes - a bustle of activity. Older yokels talk of the shining 'sea of airplanes' parked in the desert - driving out of Odessa to El Paso the sun would glint off acres of B29s and the sky abuzz with those big radials. I would have loved to be part of that.

Apparently back in the 40s in this part of the world, the sky was full of airplanes...all training young pilots for their missions overseas. I can't imagine a town of 100 swelling to 40,000 overnight, the desert suddenly packed with men, vehicles, tents, and airplanes - a bustle of activity. Older yokels talk of the shining 'sea of airplanes' parked in the desert - driving out of Odessa to El Paso the sun would glint off acres of B29s and the sky abuzz with those big radials. I would have loved to be part of that.

tonycondon said:
This whole post I was anticipating something like "really enjoying the next chapter of the Instrument Flying handbook"

Oh yeah... That, too! ;)

-Chris

Did make it through State of Denial by Bob Woodward. Enjoyed it, well dcoumented and if he's only half right, were in deep do-do.

Collapse by Jared Diamond, a follow on from Guns, Germs and Steel. Good, but dry, theory of how civilizations make decisons that lead to their failure or success.

Soon will be time to get out that perrenial favorite, IRS Publication 17. :(

Gary

I just finished "1776". Lots of stuff I didn't know about Washington and the tenuous position we were in during the Revolutionary War.

Gary said:
Did make it through State of Denial by Bob Woodward. Enjoyed it, well dcoumented and if he's only half right, were in deep do-do.

Some think that's just Woodward's hatchet job on Bush timed for the elections. I haven't read it so I can't comment personally.

Gary said:
Collapse by Jared Diamond, a follow on from Guns, Germs and Steel. Good, but dry, theory of how civilizations make decisons that lead to their failure or success.
I managed to get through Guns, Germs and Steel but I thought that whole book could be summarized in one paragraph. I liked the sections where he wrote about examples in history, but my eyes glazed over at all the academic theorizing.

Anthony said:
Some think that's just Woodward's hatchet job on Bush timed for the elections. I haven't read it so I can't comment personally.

So. I'm not the only one up early on Thanksgiving, perusing the webboard:yes: .

Woodward's book didn't strike me as a hatchet job. Well referenced and researched. I didn't hear a peep from anyone that he quoted that his facts (or quotes) were wrong. Good insight on how decisions were made at the top of our govenment.

Gary

Gary said:

I thought Guns, Germs, and Steel was amazing. Collapse was excellent too, but only if you can make it through the first chapter about Montana. It gets better the further along you get. I wonder how many people just give up early because it has such a boring start.

I think the lessons that book holds are extremely important.

Chris

Great book Anthony!

Can I recommend Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson --- I found myself laughing out loud at parts, it is so well written it reads like a great novel.

Anthony said:
I just finished "1776". Lots of stuff I didn't know about Washington and the tenuous position we were in during the Revolutionary War.

tonycondon said:

OK, Tony... I'm reading the Gleim commercial test prep. Does that make ya feel better? :goofy:

flyingcheesehead said:
OK, Tony... I'm reading the Gleim commercial test prep. Does that make ya feel better? :goofy:
I'm reading the Gleim Flight/Ground Instructor Test Prep AND the Flight Training Handbook AND the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

Of course, I'm also (re)reading a bunch of Ellis Peter's Caedfael novels (currently Monk's Hood).

And Spike, I've also enoyed Karon's Mitford series in the past. In fact, while I was vacationing in NC!

Also, I agree that 1776 is a good book. If you enjoyed it, you might want to check out McCullough's John Adams biography!

Shockwave by Richard Taylor (I think) Very good. It's about the latter days of the Manhatten Project and the decision to use the bomb on Japan.

Air Force One (the non-fiction one). My daughter got me a AF1 flight crew hat on her recent school trip to DC so I figured I'd better learn more about "my" plane.

The Killing Zone: How are why Pilots die...

I love mysteries so when I saw one at the library featuring a retired Army helicopter pilot turned Episcopal priest, I grabbed it off the shelf -- "Out of the Deep I Cry," by Julia Spencer-Fleming. Clare Fergusson is the protagonist -- fictional heroine who flew helicopters in the first Gulf War, then entered the seminary --- can't help but think of the new Episcopal Bishop of the US, Katharine Jefferts Schori (got her PPL at age 18).
That one book by Spencer-Fleming led me to the rest of the series, "In the Bleak Midwinter" and "A Fountain Filled with Blood," then there's a new one but I don't remember the title.
Elizabeth

For fun:
Currently on book 7 (Surgeon's Mate) of Patrick O'Brien's series.
Just finished Plaster's Ultimate Sniper

plus a whole bunch o' casebooks for school.

Bruce

HPNFlyGirl said:
I am reading the FAR/AIM!!!!!

There ya go!! Getting ready for the 'ride' Make sure you tab up the FAR to find stuff easily, like stuff about required equipment for VFR and cloud clearences for all the airspace, and especially for SVFR

Back