What are the MUST HAVE Books to Train???

Windpane

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Windpane
Which books do you stress for trainees based on your experiences as a new pilot and based on what you see in the field out of other new pilots?

"Why Are You Asking Questions That I Answered Days Ago For You?" -- discuss.

FAR/AIM is the only must have.

Everything else you can get from ground school, which may or may not require an additional text book.

I bought a University textbook. All I had, and all I needed. Should get another for the IR. The FAA books are dull as can be, and make poor reading.

As mentioned, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, and the Private Pilot ACS should be your first references. All are available at free PDFs from the FAA website.
Also, I recommend this one as a starter:
www.FreeFlyBook.com
Free download, no sign-up required.

BTW, a lot of these book can be downloaded and maintained through the Documents section of Foreflight.

BTW, a lot of these book can be downloaded and maintained through the Documents section of Foreflight.
I saw a new feature of @SixPapaCharlie's FiveFlight that no download is required, it writes the book on the fly, making quick and appropriate changes to fit the current situation, incident, emergency, or interaction with the FSDO rep.

Not many, most suck, maybe the POH

I’d get the king videos, download a FAR, buy a paper sectional to learn on, download the PTS/ACS. That’s about it.

Tons of student pilots buy lots of stuff they don’t need, one of the reasons you’ll see them wearing darn near mountaineering backpacks as flight bags lol

This one. Covers all you need from ultralights to the Max....

2173ba40baa02eaa2e81e7a0dd981844.jpg

View attachment 78137 When I am not on PilotsofAmerica, I am on this...

Wacha got there? Are you a collector of script and quotes? Hehe. :biggrin: I assume you being a sport pilot you're in the AAA league so to speak. Do you need to keep up with the new concepts and trends to stay at the forefront of the field sort of like doctors and techies?

Wacha got there? Are you a collector of script and quotes? Hehe. :biggrin: I assume you being a sport pilot you're in the AAA league so to speak. Do you need to keep up with the new concepts and trends to stay at the forefront of the field sort of like doctors and techies?

I am a student pilot who is very close to obtaining my certificate. Flying and studying everyday. In fact, every pilot here keeps up with continuing education; it never ends.

Last edited:
Holy crap.... when I did my PPL in 1985 I read nothing. I just listened to my instructor and that was it. Good training should cover everything needed without you getting auxiliary material.

At least that’s the way it used to be....

Yeap, while Bo Sox is the ideal way, but I'm interested in the matrices of this field. I want to know what the pros know...and just all of the technologies, physics, maneuvers, procedures, common plane types. To know all of that dump I gotta know all of the words, so the book, eh. And I gotta start from scratch at the level of books and youtube research, etc to develop the minor concept structures up in my head to the major concept structures...and ultimately the flying world paradigm...built into my mind. This is the routine I've practiced over the years in a lot of other fields.

Yeap, while Bo Sox is the ideal way, but I'm interested in the matrices of this field. I want to know what the pros know...and just all of the technologies, physics, maneuvers, procedures, common plane types. To know all of that dump I gotta know all of the words, so the book, eh. And I gotta start from scratch at the level of books and youtube research, etc to develop the minor concept structures up in my head to the major concept structures...and ultimately the flying world paradigm...built into my mind. This is the routine I've practiced over the years in a lot of other fields.
I would chill a bit. You will not know everything as a private pilot. Heck, you won’t know everything as a 35 year ATP. Take the knowledge in stride. Start by learning what you need to know for your PPL. Concentrate on that, and much will come while training for further ratings. Much will also come through years of experience. And, none of us will ever know even 1/2 of everything about aviation.

No one knows it all, especially an instructor. www.av8n.com is the best source for learning about the physics of flight; you do not need to know "common plane types," as a student. Tecnologies, maneuvers, procedures, etc are covered in the FAA books available online.

Check out my signature info.

Bob Gardner

Back