What are the arrows in a Jepp syllabus?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Jeppesen syllabi have little arrows pointing left or right near some of the items, such as seen in the attached picture, bottom right side, pointing to Emergency Descent.

I see these throughout the various levels of training, but cannot figure out what they are. There is no discussion of them that I can find in the rest of the book. I have seen this question posted elsewhere on the internet but with no answer.

Anybody know? Is it something really obvious that I'm missing?

Attachments

• WP_20151104_001[1].jpg
    WP_20151104_001[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
Are the arrows PTS items?

I saw that post too, but the response is just a guess and doesn't seem to be the answer.

Some pubs mark a change from the previous edition. I recall a dark vertical line to the left of a sentence/paragraph in manuals I've used in the past. Perhaps Jeppesen uses an arrow.

Some pubs mark a change from the previous edition. I recall a dark vertical line to the left of a sentence/paragraph in manuals I've used in the past. Perhaps Jeppesen uses an arrow.

The emergency descent is a recent addition to the PTS. Maybe this is the reason.

Are there any other examples?

The emergency descent is a recent addition to the PTS. Maybe this is the reason.

Are there any other examples?

"Accelerated Maneuver Stalls (Demonstration)" is another. Actually, those are the only two I've been able to find in the whole Flight Instructor Syllabus, which happens to be the one I have in front of me right now. (I'm going to be starting with a CFI candidate soon, so was reviewing things.) This syllabus covers CFI, CFII, and MEI. But I've also seen them in the other syllabi.

There is, however, another symbol, equally unexplained, but maybe related, a bracket symbol. See pic, it's next to "Single-Pilot Resource Management".

Attachments

• WP_20151104_002[1].jpg
    WP_20151104_002[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Why not call Jepp's 800 number and ask?

800-353-2107

Jeppesen syllabi have little arrows pointing left or right near some of the items, such as seen in the attached picture, bottom right side, pointing to Emergency Descent.

I see these throughout the various levels of training, but cannot figure out what they are. There is no discussion of them that I can find in the rest of the book. I have seen this question posted elsewhere on the internet but with no answer.

Anybody know? Is it something really obvious that I'm missing?

What does your instructor say? I don't know, and there is nothing they are pointing to that is a subject of extra importance for any reason I can determine. If there isn't an explanation in the book itself which I have a hard time believing in a Jepp publication, and your CFI doesn't know, I wouldn't be hugely concerned with their meaning.

Last edited:
Have you looked in the big Jep book to see if they mention it there?

Maybe it's a copy editor's marking that somehow never got deleted before production.

Why not call Jepp's 800 number and ask?

800-353-2107

Because posting here is more fun? :D Maybe I will do that, but I imagine it might be hard to get through to the right person who knows.

What does your instructor say?

I am the instructor. Though I have asked some others, and they don't know either. There's nothing to be concerned about of course, I'm just curious.

Have you looked in the big Jep book to see if they mention it there?

No. I will check that out.

Maybe it's a copy editor's marking that somehow never got deleted before production.

I doubt it, because these symbols are in every Jepp syllabus I've seen - Private, Commercial, Instrument, etc., and are consistently unexplained. Seems strange they would use a symbol and not tell you what it is in the first page or two of the book (like a "how to use this syllabus" page).

Back