What are Roosters for

I disagree, wolf of wall street was a scammer taking advantage of people, and providing no real benefit to society, eggman seems from his posts to be an honest man helping to provide low cost food to peoples tables. Id bet that he would be able to just say enough with the hassle and stop producing eggs today and be able to live a life of leisure for the rest of his days, but continues working on providing food for the world. Not that a movie on the egg industry couldn’t potentially be interesting, but I think the comparison is inaccurate.
Maybe he was saying Eggman might be a little eggcentric. :)

I disagree, wolf of wall street was a scammer taking advantage of people, and providing no real benefit to society, eggman seems from his posts to be an honest man helping to provide low cost food to peoples tables. Id bet that he would be able to just say enough with the hassle and stop producing eggs today and be able to live a life of leisure for the rest of his days, but continues working on providing food for the world. Not that a movie on the egg industry couldn’t potentially be interesting, but I think the comparison is inaccurate.

Which is precisely why I asked if I am nuts, to turn such a good story 'bad', as the entertainment industry often does, since 'bad' stories make more money.

And I certainly do not hope he quits anytime soon, I still want to take him up on his offer to come see his business infrastructure, which I find fascinating. And of course, his non business assets, which are way cool as well. :cool:

Am I nuts to envision The Wolf of Wall Street adapted to the egg industry when I read James' posts?

There would have to be a scene where the Jonah Hill character in a shirt and tie runs through the production facility clutching important papers to deliver, with the obligatory feathers flying through the air.

Well...I've been happily married for 24 years, have five reasonably well adjusted kids, never done coke or paid for a sex act, never committed securities fraud, and do not have a yacht or helicopter. I'm also without an airplane right now. Boo.

OTOH, I have been moderately inebriated at trade shows a few times, like fast cars, been accused of human trafficking, and had a few run-ins with various three letter agencies - thankfully never the FAA though. I did go to Colombia once to address the egg industry down there where I had to take cold showers with some interesting dudes after which was given some scrubs and rubber boots to wear for a farm tour. In the jungle. With no undergarments. That was an interesting day with lots of automatic weapons. Have some good stories about visiting a spent hen processing plant in Guadalajara where I learned that not all countries have equivalent levels of safety for the human food supply, and lets not even start to talk about southeast asia. For some reason my scheduled trip to visit a producer in Ukraine last year didn't happen. :dunno:

This summer will mark 25 years of service to the egg industry for me, and my father will celebrate 60 years in 2025. I love this work, but am telling my kids to go do something else.

Btw, made the WSJ yesterday. Finalizing our response to Sen. Warren today. :popcorn:

Well...I've been happily married for 24 years, have five reasonably well adjusted kids, never done coke or paid for a sex act, never committed securities fraud, and do not have a yacht or helicopter. I'm also without an airplane right now. Boo.

OTOH, I have been moderately inebriated at trade shows a few times, like fast cars, been accused of human trafficking, and had a few run-ins with various three letter agencies - thankfully never the FAA though. I did go to Colombia once to address the egg industry down there where I had to take cold showers with some interesting dudes after which was given some scrubs and rubber boots to wear for a farm tour. In the jungle. With no undergarments. That was an interesting day with lots of automatic weapons. Have some good stories about visiting a spent hen processing plant in Guadalajara where I learned that not all countries have equivalent levels of safety for the human food supply, and lets not even start to talk about southeast asia. For some reason my scheduled trip to visit a producer in Ukraine last year didn't happen. :dunno:

This summer will mark 25 years of service to the egg industry for me, and my father will celebrate 60 years in 2025. I love this work, but am telling my kids to go do something else.

Btw, made the WSJ yesterday. Finalizing our response to Sen. Warren today. :popcorn:
The WSJ thing was behind a pay wall. But I got out a bag of pop corn after your “…I did go to Colombia once to address the egg industry down there where I had to take cold showers with some interesting dudes after which was given some scrubs and rubber boots to wear for a farm tour. In the jungle. With no undergarments…”

The WSJ thing was behind a pay wall. But I got out a bag of pop corn after your “…I did go to Colombia once to address the egg industry down there where I had to take cold showers with some interesting dudes after which was given some scrubs and rubber boots to wear for a farm tour. In the jungle. With no undergarments…”

Attachments

• AI Article.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Thanks for the PDF. Great read, very informative. Awesome to hear how other industries work from real experts.
The following paragraph (from the article) blows my mind:
--
"In its latest securities filing, Cal-Maine, the largest U.S. egg producer, said in December that it hasn’t had a single bird-flu case and that it was working to mitigate the risk of outbreaks. The company didn’t reveal how it has kept its flocks safe and declined to comment."
--
Are you kidding? Either they got lucky or they are lying or they found the perfect solution. If lucky then lucky does not last. If lying then prosecute under something. If perfect solution then under some national security BS make them share the info.
--
In my area, we have had farmers building chicken houses for years. Converting a small portion of their feed fields over to the chicken houses. Often times putting in 2~4 long houses in parallel. I had heard that they house around 25,000 chickens per house but I have no idea. afaik we are not one of the states that has laws about cage free. The farms doing these were and appear to remain small cow farms for beef or dairy so this seems to be a profitable additional side of their business? Certainly nothing on the scale of what @James_Dean speaks of. They look like hangers from the air. Driving past those family farms, they have signs on their driveway by the road before you turn onto their driveway that say something about BioSecurity.

After reading the WSJ article, maybe free range isn't the best way to go.

… I'm also without an airplane right now...
Too much clean living will do that I heard.

… Btw, made the WSJ yesterday.…

Front page, below the fold today.
bcfe7859a7decf40d89802f051750375.jpg

Are you kidding? Either they got lucky or they are lying or they found the perfect solution. If lucky then lucky does not last. If lying then prosecute under something. If perfect solution then under some national security BS make them share the info.
That's not how competition works. But I'm sure there are industry groups where the producers discuss such things to the extent they're willing.

Back