What am I missing? PIC Question

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
I recently got back into flying after a long hiatus. This included a couple refresher flights, my flight review flight, and a bunch of checkouts in various aircraft. All of these were logged as dual received, but none have any PIC logged; and this is flying with 3 instructors at two different schools.

All of my recent refresher studying (and previous exp from 10 years ago) leaves me scratching my head why this wouldn't be PIC.

Any ideas? And yes shame on me for not catching this sooner.

Sounds like PIC to me. But what do I know.

You're 0/3 on instructors understanding the regs. If you were the sole manipulator of the controls and you're rated (category/class) for the airplanes you were flying, just add the time to the PIC column and move on.

You're 0/3 on instructors understanding the regs. If you were the sole manipulator of the controls and you're rated (category/class) for the airplanes you were flying, just add the time to the PIC column and move on.
This.

Ditto. Didn't know it at the time. When I found out it's both dual and PIC, here by the way, I just added it to the PIC column. Didn't worry much about the handwriting. I figured he signed that he'd given me dual on the line and I signed the page saying it was correct.

Not sure why the instructors didn't explain PIC to you.

Cool that's what I figured. I'm not worried about handwriting, just the fact that 3 of them didn't do it had me questioning myself. Thanks for clearing it up!

This is true but it is also true that logging your time is your responsibility. Don't blame the CFI.

PIC. Log it. Don't go back to those CFIs until they understand what PIC is.

PIC. Log it. Don't go back to those CFIs until they understand what PIC is.

He didn't say whether he entered it in his log book or if the CFIs did. Regardless, he should just enter now. And like 'Dog said above:

woof woof, no 'Dog said: This is true but it is also true that logging your time is your responsibility. Don't blame the CFI.

He didn't say whether he entered it in his log book or if the CFIs did. Regardless, he should just enter now. And like 'Dog said above:

woof woof, no 'Dog said: This is true but it is also true that logging your time is your responsibility. Don't blame the CFI.

I never did my students log books, but I watched to make sure they did it right, then signed my part.

An instructor should know what is PIc and what isn't.

I never did my students log books, but I watched to make sure they did it right, then signed my part.

An instructor should know what is PIc and what isn't.

But but he's not a student, so he should know too. But yeah, myself I did it as you did too. But for a student.

Last edited:
Because as often as this question comes up, they don't understand it either, and probably their instructors didn't either.
Unfortunately, since many instructors only become instructors to move onto something else ASAP, the time it takes to understand the regs is more than they're willing to commit.

Partially agree. The CFI is responsible for the log entry if dual was given. He signs it with his cert # afterall. So he should know what goes in the book and he should oversee that it is entered correctly too. Though I do understand that it might not be done this way in real life.

Back