What airports have FAROS lighting?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone know of what airports in the US have the FAROS lighting system installed?

I'm guessing the bigger, nuttier ones like JFK, LAX, ORD, and the like.... yes? Any others?

Studying for my ATP Written exam, there is this question (#1888 in the Sheppard Air bank):

Q: If the landing airport has FAROS Lighting, how will you know there is traffic on the landing runway while on approach?
A: Flashing PAPIs
The Explanation:

See AIM Chapter 2, Section 1

Stand Alone Final Approach Runway Occupancy Signal (FAROS)

The standalone FAROS system is a fully automated system that provides runway occupancy status to pilots on final approach to indicate if it may be unsafe to land. When an aircraft or vehicle is detected on the runway, the Precision Approach Path Indicator (PAPI) light fixtures flash as a signal to indicate that the runway is occupied and that it may be unsafe to land. The standalone FAROS system is activated by localized or comprehensive sensors detecting aircraft or ground vehicles occupying activation zones.​

Had never heard of this. Sounds like a good system. I think there is something related that flashes red on the taxiways as well to prevent ground contact. SFO maybe?

Reactions: WDD
Back