What’s in your “emergency go bag”?

Is that the figure quoted in the book? Looks like it was written in 2003 or maybe even earlier, before PLB's and 406ELT's came about. Smart phones too, for that matter. I wonder if it still holds true?

My guess is the bell curve skewed towards shorter rescue times, for those who had an electronic signaling device of some kind, but that the long tail towards rescues that took longer, or never happened, is unchanged. Those represent the folks without electronic devices (or damaged devices, or no signal).

Cell phone, credit cards, pair of gloves, hat, warm coat (in the winter). In the summer the gloves and coat are replaced by a bottle or two of water. If I feel like I need more than that then I seriously evaluate whether I actually need to make the trip. The answer is almost always no.

Oh, and there’s a space blanket and flashlight in the plane, along with a handful of tools.

There can also be an issue where they know exactly where you are, but cannot get there due to weather or other factors.

Even with ELT, PLB, and cell phone with GPS, I would want to be prepared for a 72 hour stay.

There can also be an issue where they know exactly where you are, but cannot get there due to weather or other factors.

Even with ELT, PLB, and cell phone with GPS, I would want to be prepared for a 72 hour stay.
I could see a rescue delayed 24 hours. 72 hours seems like a lot.

I could see a rescue delayed 24 hours. 72 hours seems like a lot.

Not a lot of difference in what you need.

But would rather be prepared for 72 hours and be picked up in 24, than the other way around. :)

One thing I keep in my survival bag is a handful of AA batteries in plastic caddies (Storacell is the brand I went with). I standardized everything in the flying survival bag to AA (eTrex 10 GPS, LED flashlight, Greatland laser flare) and then pulled all the batteries out of the actual devices. I have terrible luck with batteries corroding and destroying the electronics they are stored in. I should also find myself with plenty of extra AA’s and an extra flashlight to use them in if I haven’t used up my complete supply of ANR headset batteries before I need them, since the plane always has some AA batteries and a flashlight that runs on them on board.

https://marinesuppliesusa.com/products/leland-personal-strobe-light

Uses a D battery. Like Ari, I keep the AA in a plastic bag for everything except this., and an extra D just for this strobe. Originally designed to be clipped to the life jacket on the water. This is a great thread, as I’ve been asked to put together an article for local EAA chapters for winter mountain flying emergencies. I don’t fly in the mountains in the winter, but others do.

https://marinesuppliesusa.com/products/leland-personal-strobe-light

Uses a D battery. Like Ari, I keep the AA in a plastic bag for everything except this., and an extra D just for this strobe. Originally designed to be clipped to the life jacket on the water. This is a great thread, as I’ve been asked to put together an article for local EAA chapters for winter mountain flying emergencies. I don’t fly in the mountains in the winter, but others do.
Might want to pack one of these in addition to the real D cell.
https://batteryeliminatorstore.com/products/aa-to-d-adapter
AA-DAdapter_540x.png

I don’t have a ‘go bag’, do I need one? I don’t plan to bug out anywhere.

Might sound a bit silly but I keep the retractable antenna for the ELT with me. Not sure the old ELT would be much good but if, 1) the original antenna were damaged in the crash I would have a spare, 2) if for some reason I had to leave the crash site (not advised) I could take the ELT with me.

It could also be used as a radio antenna to replace the rubber duck on my handheld for better range, or even replace the aircraft radio antenna if that one were lost in a crash. All of this depends, of course, on surviving the landing ...

I think a personal locator beacon, and a 405 ELT, would be top of the list, for getting help fast. If you survive well to get something out of the plane and kindle a fire, for sure you would be fit enough to activate the PLB, if the ELT didn’t already go off by itself.

I just watched a FAAST webinar by a pilot who crash landed in the winter nighttime in Minnesota (CO poisoning). No fire. Even though ATC knew he was going down, and a helicopter was directly overhead looking for him, he wasn’t found in the field. His 121.5 ELT didn’t help much. He walked, with broken vertebrae, to a house.

I don’t have a ‘go bag’, do I need one? I don’t plan to bug out anywhere.
When I had a family member who lived a few states away and had a habit of making random visits to the ER, I kept an emergency go bag packed so I could get that late-night, get-here call and head straight to the road or airport without having to think about what to pack. It had a couple changes of socks and underwear, T-shirt, phone charger, basic toiletries, dog leash, dog bowl, and three days of dog food. I would also have grabbed my folding dog crate on the way out the door. My dog and I would have been just fine for a few days until I had time to go to the store to get more supplies and clothes. Incidentally, I keep most of this stuff in the plane because I got sick of buying toothbrushes and phone chargers when I had to wait out weather somewhere.

I currently have two flying survival bags. The "casual flying" bag is an AOPA headset bag. The focus is on first aid, basic shelter, fire, and two half-liter bottles of water. The concept is that it will go with when I'm flying local or short cross-country trips where someone will be along shortly to turn off the ELT and rescue me. The other is my Eddie Bauer school backpack from freshman year. It's a bit heavier and equipped for longer trips over wilderness where more survival skills will come into play while awaiting rescue, including signaling, water, food, and overland travel. That one started with the Alaska flying survival kit requirements with adjustments for where I fly and my personal skill set.

Where people go astray is trying to load up a bag for multiple, inconsistent purposes. If I tried to make my little go bag also fill the roles of wilderness survival, get-home, bug-out, zombie apocalypse, maternity water-broke, diaper, Pacific Crest Trail through-hike, gun range, photography, shelter in place, and EDC bags, it would weigh 500 lbs and no longer be capable of serving any purpose. You can tell that that's a popular mistake from of the proliferation of "tactical" laptop bags out there, not to mention amateur reviews of serious tactical bags that talk about how cool the MOLLE webbing looks and tell you the best way to pack the PB&J sandwich and herbal tea that your mom made for your lunch at your big office downtown (which is actually a Starbucks).

I went down a rabbit hole. I'm somewhat embarrassed to share this list as it's somewhat long, but am going to trust the POA team to not flame me or the list. The things kept in the plane 365 days a year including a trauma medical kit (chest seal, QuikClot, tourniquet, etc.), 5 gallon water bladder (ballast and drinking), and miscellaneous cabin items. I then then have a rugged-wilderness terrain backpack. I've attached a link to the PDF of the contents. IMO the #1 most important piece of gear you can carry is a Garmin Inreach satellite navigator and have it on your person. Just 1 button push and S&R is notified. #2 would be a trauma kit and know how to use it.
https://1drv.ms/x/s!An45_TZAtQWWgtQlIXMkfj1lT6Q4eA?e=e7h3by

@RCG571 How much does your kit weigh? What region are you flying in?
The rugged terrain backpack with trauma kit is around 30 pounds. I use the swiss army bladder for ballast in my 182 and drain it as needed. I'm in central Texas, but do fly to west TX and doing some NM & AZ trips.

My unbreakable rule: Always dress as if you are going to walk home.
In my little plane, there isn't much leeway for extra weight. I always carry 2,000 calories of food (4 energy bars), enough fire making material to start a forest fire (check Youtube for ideas for this), 2 sharp knives, 4 fish hooks and 100ft of 80 lb fishing line suitable for catching fish and small game, a small mesh bag to make a net, a space blanket, and a bottle of water. And a hand compass. It all fits in a pocket of my flight bag.

OK, I had to add this. A green laser pointer so I can flash aircraft and insure they come for me immediately.

Last edited:
That’s an easy load for a 182. I’m also in central TX, and am not too worried about survival gear due to the population density. NM, AZ, west TX for sure gets sparse. My items really focus on common mechanical stuff.

Electrical Tape

Air valve core tool

Parachute cord

12V air pump

Spark plug socket with ratchet

Small screw driver set

Safety wire and tool

Wire stripper/crimper

Wire connectors

Wire cutters

Needle nose pliers

Adjustable wrench

Cessna jack pad for steel legs

Tire tubes

Cotter pins/screws

Engine oil

Survival knife

Bendix magneto p-lead adapters (for setting timing)

Paper towels

Tie down rope

Blanket

Bottled water

My emergency go bag has always been empty. If I ever fill it, it'll likely be pee, but you never know.

My unbreakable rule: Always dress as if you are going to walk home.

This.

In Alaska I was always worried about the folks that were not dressed for the conditions we would be flying over. I wasn't worried much about the Eskimo, but the others didn't seem to understand what it would be like to be on the ground in the middle of winter.

I can’t get my full survival bag less than 45lbs. The water in their containers are the most weighty part. It even had that long handle axe taped to it. It is suitable for summer Alaska or Canada as I pretty much followed the official advisements of what is required. In addition, I have my fisherman style emergency vest stuffed with things that are most immediately needed and able to come out with me even if the heavy/bulky bag can not be grabbed.
The biggest hassle is you need to check the contents periodically to insure they are up to date to function as desired.

That's fine if you're flying a J3 into a headwind. If you're in a turbo Mooney, that's an awfully long walk. ;)

That is only to walk home, in the turbo Mooney you are likely much closer to your destination. :D

Back