Wet Vacuume Pump Overhaul

aiu0462

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
I have a wet vacuume pump I want to overhaul. Anyone know where you can buy a kit or parts? It is a Garwin 455.
Thanks for an help.
Steve

I have a wet vacuume pump I want to overhaul. Anyone know where you can buy a kit or parts? It is a Garwin 455.
Thanks for an help.
Steve
Once you get it apart, you'll see the timken bearing numbers they can be obtained at NAPA. the vanes are no longer available, but you can make them from sheet carbon. you will see the thickness required when you get them in your hand.

I believe most WET vacuum pump have hardened steel vanes and you certainly can't make them yourself. The carbon vanes are typical of a DRY vacuum pump. If you do want to overhaul your wet pump, first open it up and inspect for any wear on the vanes and the internal surfaces. If so you are better off buying a re-manufactured unit as there is no practical way to repair. In all likelihood the main reason a wet pump needs to be overhauled is due to deterioration of the gaskets.

I believe most WET vacuum pump have hardened steel vanes and you certainly can't make them yourself. The carbon vanes are typical of a DRY vacuum pump. If you do want to overhaul your wet pump, first open it up and inspect for any wear on the vanes and the internal surfaces. If so you are better off buying a re-manufactured unit as there is no practical way to repair. In all likelihood the main reason a wet pump needs to be overhauled is due to deterioration of the gaskets.
most have carbon vanes, when I find the pictures I'll post them.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 25
Solid state and junk the vac system.

I stand corrected! Are the pics of an Airwolf pump? My Pesco has metal vanes - it might be an oddball version.

I stand corrected! Are the pics of an Airwolf pump? My Pesco has metal vanes - it might be an oddball version.
I believe that was a Garwin. The newer Pescos have carbon too. I can't remember ever seeing a steel vaned wet pump. They probably lasted so long no one
ever needed to open one up. :)

Last edited:
Back