wet departures

flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flyer
Here are a few pic's I took at Gastons this morning of the planes splashing through the water.

Attachments

• 100_0214.JPG
    100_0214.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • 100_0219.JPG
    100_0219.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 100_0207.JPG
    100_0207.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 150
not too bad mike. I can't believe no one got a picture of my takeoff in the AzTruck. I didn't really mean too but I ended up blasting through that huge puddle in the middle of the runway at takeoff power. I of course could only see the front of the rooster tail but I'm told that the back of the airplane was not visible.

Last one looks like Lance's Barron. It did look any were near as impressive from the back seat.

Here are a few pic's I took at Gastons this morning of the planes splashing through the water.

I thought I was far enough to the right to miss the water but I must have been a bit too close.

I thought I was far enough to the right to miss the water but I must have been a bit too close.

There was a 'new' hidden water hole to the right of the original water/mud hole this morning. I'm guessing it has morphed from 'water hole' to 'mud hole' after departures this morning.

:blush:Me too:blush:
Oh I forgot, I was being nice by not being to close to those in/by the tent.

I was very very light this AM with 31 gallons of fuel and myself or 1150 undergross. So I lit out from the East end of the flightline and missed the wet.

About 1/4 mile from the N. End of BPK was a fog bank. So landed to the north. Just didn't have the heart to fly to get cheap fuel, but they are trying that struggling little FBO. $3.98/g.

Looks like fun. How many of you consulted your POH for takeoff roll on wet turf? If so, what factor did you add to the performance numbers?

Our POH doesn't say anything about lake takeoffs. :D

I have a feeling everyone will be washing their plane shortly after arriving home. We hoped to fly through a light rain shower to wash it off but we missed all the precip.

Last edited:
Looks like fun. How many of you consulted your POH for takeoff roll on wet turf? If so, what factor did you add to the performance numbers?

Honestly, I did not. I did, however, fly it light over to the paved runway at BPK, and shuttled there in the van for load-up and flight home. Had no trouble at all getting out.

I was way under gross in my Comanche, but I threw in 18° of flaps once I got to 60MphIAS, and she jumped off the runway like it was dry a couple seconds later.. I also took off from about where Lance hand parked his Baron, and where I originally parked on Friday, so the water wasn't an issue, and I was well up over the guardpost trees on departure.

i only had 10ish gallons in the 172, and it was me and leah (110 lbs soaking wet). with 10deg flaps i cleared the trees at the end by probably 100 feet. the runway was still pretty firm, past the big puddles near the parking area.

I have a feeling everyone will be washing their plane shortly after arriving home. We hoped to fly through a light rain shower to wash it off but we missed all the precip.
We flew through a shower about 20 miles east of Gaston's, but it didn't clean the underside of the struts like I'd hoped. :D Plus we had a wet arrival at the farm...the ditch was wet and we splashed more mud on the airplane. :D

We flew through a shower about 20 miles east of Gaston's, but it didn't clean the underside of the struts like I'd hoped. :D Plus we had a wet arrival at the farm...the ditch was wet and we splashed more mud on the airplane. :D

You would have needed to turn it upside down for that... too bad you were too full for Acro on the way home. :D

There was a 'new' hidden water hole to the right of the original water/mud hole this morning. I'm guessing it has morphed from 'water hole' to 'mud hole' after departures this morning.

:blush:Me too:blush:
Oh I forgot, I was being nice by not being to close to those in/by the tent.

Yes, it was a mud hole. Pete and I waited until fairly late (12:10 or so) to depart, right behind Prellwitz Air and Greg's 195. The tents were gone and Pete pulled the picnic tables back against the hedge row so that we had quite a bit of extra room on the right where we could go without traversing the mud hole. :yes:

Back