Went to a DCI competition last night...

We’re Mercedes Benz stadium, Southeastern Championships.

With *those* diagonals between the 40 and 50 yard lines? ;-)

I figured there was a local show this weekend. Drove by my old HS this morning and there was a drum line practicing in the parking lot. The vans and busses sitting around were marked "Rochester" somethingorothers, as I recall.

63F0A713-585B-4BFD-A924-C3B911DCEBAA.jpeg Over 20 corps here. Been going since 1:00 pm

Madison Scouts take the field

After spending the day at Mercedes Benz Stadium I have some thought. The top three finishers last night were the Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils and the Blue Coats. Seem to me that your score was dependent on the amount of props and such you brought out on the field as much as your musical and marching prowess, thus why Vanguard was the number one corps last night. Their finish was spectacular, but could have been just as powerful without the props. The extensive use of props slowed the night down as they ran at least a half hour behind.'

It almost appears that it is a mandate now that every corps begins their program with the members laying down on the field. Personally, I don't get it. Also having gymnasts doing tumbling routines now is a part of the "show". The Madison Scouts are no longer an all male corps, they have a female soloist as part of the act. Several corps had a vocalist or group of vocalists. Extensive use of trombones now and the occasional French horn as well. Lots of time with no music, just running around the field to get into position while the pit provides some rhythm. They are beginning to lose me.

The stadium was a plus. Soda was $2 for a cup that you could refill all day long. Slice of pizza was $3 and nothing over $7 or 8 unless you drink.

After spending the day at Mercedes Benz Stadium I have some thought. The top three finishers last night were the Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils and the Blue Coats. Seem to me that your score was dependent on the amount of props and such you brought out on the field as much as your musical and marching prowess, thus why Vanguard was the number one corps last night. Their finish was spectacular, but could have been just as powerful without the props. The extensive use of props slowed the night down as they ran at least a half hour behind.'

It almost appears that it is a mandate now that every corps begins their program with the members laying down on the field. Personally, I don't get it. Also having gymnasts doing tumbling routines now is a part of the "show". The Madison Scouts are no longer an all male corps, they have a female soloist as part of the act. Several corps had a vocalist or group of vocalists. Extensive use of trombones now and the occasional French horn as well. Lots of time with no music, just running around the field to get into position while the pit provides some rhythm. They are beginning to lose me.

Yeah. They mostly lost me about 15 years ago, though BD and SCV appear to be moving back towards music now.

Unfortunately, with rule changes, it seems like there's now a list of boxes that have to be checked for DCI to even consider you competitive. Amplification, some use of trombones or french horns, props, etc. are kind of a fact of life now. :(

BTW, some history for you: Madison has now had six women take the field:

The first was Bonnie Howard, who played the part of "Alice in Wonderland" for that show in 1971.

In 1980, the corps did a VFW show on the way home from DCI to make a few extra bucks, and VFW still required a flag presentation (which DCI had long since abandoned). Rather than sacrifice other members to do a flag presentation, they had three girlfriends who were traveling with the corps don uniforms and paint fake mascara mustaches and do the flag presentation.

In 2006, Rebecca Hershman played the part of "Carmen" for the show which was based on the opera. She later married Jon Newcomb, who was drum major of the corps for a couple of years. They now have a daughter, who Jon has correctly ascertained is the first "purebred Madison Scout". :rofl: To give this an aviation tie-in, Jon brought their daughter to Oshkosh last week! :)

This year, Megan is both the first woman to not be called a "guest performer" and the first who is in a section outside of the color guard. She represents the "soul" in their show, which is entitled "Heart and Soul".

There has been a survey this summer asking questions about what people think of allowing anyone in, and I hope that next year, Megan comes back as one of many.

It might be before my time, but I'm not sure what the animosity over trombones/mellophones in the horn section. I've never been in a marching band without them.

It might be before my time, but I'm not sure what the animosity over trombones/mellophones in the horn section. I've never been in a marching band without them.

Mainly that it's drum and BUGLE corps. While they allowed increasing numbers of valves over the years to allow for more music to be played, it was restricted to bell-front, valved brass instruments. They actually had French Horn Bugles into the 90s, but most groups switched to Mellophones that could be played by either trumpet or French Horn players.

Then, a few years ago there was a rules proposal to allow trombones. I can't remember if that just removed all the restrictions or if french horns was a separate thing. But, nobody uses them on the field, they're generally on the sideline and used for a short feature at some point in the show due to the impracticalities of those instruments in a DCI-caliber show - Horns project their sound in the wrong direction and trombones take up way too much room front to back for the sorts of pass-throughs used in DCI drill.

That, and this isn't marching band... Though it's not far from being merely very-high-achieving marching band these days. :(

The 2018 DCI Championship goes to the Santa Clara Vanguard. Fairly close race for second between the Blue Devils and Blue Coats. We went to the Thursday Fathom event to watch the top 15. See ya next year.

The 2018 DCI Championship goes to the Santa Clara Vanguard. Fairly close race for second between the Blue Devils and Blue Coats. We went to the Thursday Fathom event to watch the top 15. See ya next year.

Yep. I flew down to Indy with a fellow Scout alum on Friday to check it out. Loved BAC's disappearing trick at the end. Cavies had a nod to the old school when the guard stepped over some horn players - An iconic moment in their history had been the horn line stepping over the guard in the late 70's/early 80's.

Blue Devils weren't as good from the top of LucasOil as they were closer in at a college stadium.

Santa Clara... Wow. I don't really know what their show was, but it was incredibly difficult and they were really damn good.

Yep. I flew down to Indy with a fellow Scout alum on Friday to check it out. Loved BAC's disappearing trick at the end. Cavies had a nod to the old school when the guard stepped over some horn players - An iconic moment in their history had been the horn line stepping over the guard in the late 70's/early 80's.

Blue Devils weren't as good from the top of LucasOil as they were closer in at a college stadium.

Santa Clara... Wow. I don't really know what their show was, but it was incredibly difficult and they were really damn good.

The explanation given for the Santa Clara program had to do with a disunity with people not talking to each other or something like that. That is the reason they had their mouths covered.

Back