Went around.

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Nothing to tell, other than outside of having a CFI tell me to go around, I don't think I've done a "go around" out of necessity in 5 years... As much as I rolled my eyes at CFI's and thought "OK, shove the throttle in... blah blah blah, big whoop, go around, I'm not an idiot, we don't have to keep doing this". I found myself reciting the "blah blah blah" "positive rate of climb"... "flaps up"

For some reason (yes I know the reason, it was between the yoke and the seat...) the plane didn't want to slow down or descend and I was WAY high on final... just went around.

Nothing to tell, other than outside of having a CFI tell me to go around, I don't think I've done a "go around" out of necessity in 5 years... As much as I rolled my eyes at CFI's and thought "OK, shove the throttle in... blah blah blah, big whoop, go around, I'm not an idiot, we don't have to keep doing this". I found myself reciting the "blah blah blah" "positive rate of climb"... "flaps up"

For some reason (yes I know the reason, it was between the yoke and the seat...) the plane didn't want to slow down or descend and I was WAY high on final... just went around.

Too high for a forward slip?
Not questioning your judgement, just curious.

I've had to go around 3 times in the past 10 hours or so of flying. Once because of a nasty crosswind just as I was about to touchdown and the others due to traffic still on the runway

Too high for a forward slip?
Not questioning your judgement, just curious.
Some Bos you don't slip on final - depends on whether or not there are baffles in those long skinny tanks....

...but the story reminded me of when I forgot to put the gear down because DFW approach wanted me at 170 knots on the localizer (Mooney).

I ended up doing the nose up hail mary over the first 4,000 feet of runway before getting the wheels out.....

Maybe he just wanted to see if you could do it . . .

I had a CFI one evening when I was doing night quals tell me to take it around 10 feet off the ground - I thought he saw something like an animal or some thing - when we landed he just said he wanted me to do it for 'practice' . . .

OK - don't necessarily disagree . . . but it was at a towered airport - and they took a dim view of it. Cause they thought for a moment they had animals too.

I think i'm going to make a thread tomorrow about what kind of sandwich I had for lunch.

I came in on a left base for 23, was in the process of canceling flight following, grabbing the weather, descending, joining the CTAF etc... and let the airport slip up on me. I thought I could salvage it. Had the gear horn blaring just trying to slow up to 140MPH to drop the gear, By the time I got to 120MPH and the flap switch down, it seemed like I was doing too much work to save this one.. a slip would have just compounded it. The Bo slips beautifully, but I was really close to the airport and the wife doesn't like them... never really crossed my mind, I didn't need to land that bad.

Oh ok, I definitely understand. I found myself high once and did a few S-turns to get down but I was far enough out to save it.

In hindsight, I should have gone around because my wife got a little sick from the S-turns. A forward slip probably would have been just as bad for her.:redface:

Some Bos you don't slip on final - depends on whether or not there are baffles in those long skinny tanks....

...but the story reminded me of when I forgot to put the gear down because DFW approach wanted me at 170 knots on the localizer (Mooney).

I ended up doing the nose up hail mary over the first 4,000 feet of runway before getting the wheels out.....

They all have the "Aerobatic Cells" now,it was an AD way back.

Be prepared for 10 pages to follow about condiment use and then some guy will start quoting FDA regulations and applicable case laws......

Since its a sandwich thread, wouldn't 'Cole slaws' be more appropriate?

Case laws............Cole slaws..........

No sweat. We can save more as we gain experience, but there are few instances where we must land NOW. I'll go around when the issues start piling up as they occasionally do, especially in a retract.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Be prepared for 10 pages to follow about condiment use and then some guy will start quoting FDA regulations and applicable case laws......:rolleyes2:

:rofl:

<sandwich falls out of mouth while laughing uncontrollably>

It's a good problem to have, the whole 'can't get this thing slowed down enough to..' bit. First world problems indeed :D

That said, my landlady's husband did perish as a result of a botched go around attempt in an F33 a decade or so ago; essentially a departure stall in nature. It was night time, came in super low on the approach, clipped approach lighting system components (i.e. landed on the lighting system), and presumably freaked out and initiated a go-around and stalled it on midfield crosswind to downwind. So, these things can happen, more so with big bore engines aggravating the need to be on your A-game regarding pitch trim re-setting on the go.

Timely post- I just did my first go-around in a long time( maybe a year) because I was told to by the tower. It is an amazingly important skill to be proficient with. I certainly need to practice this again because I shoved the throttle in with 30 degrees of flaps in a 172 and literally felt like I was a helicopter as the plane was still going slow but I was climbing rapidly. I remembered the steps, got that 30 degrees out ASAP, climbed out at 15 degrees and then got those out once I was 500 feet or more above the ground, but it was unsettling for sure. Glad I had practiced the go around and I plan on getting more practice soon!

In the Mooney you get one bounce, then it's go around.

ROFL... I'm having this vision of Doc going 170 with his hair on fire going "whoa nellie!!!!" ... LOL...!

I got pretty consistent making wheel landings in the Super Decathlon, all while solo. I'd fly it down, usually with a little power added just before the numbers. Then I went to show my finely-honed skill to a friend ...his weight in back changed everything! The tail dropped when the wheels touched, which naturally caused the plane jump back in the air! My buddy got to see a few go-rounds before I got acclimated to the new dynamics. That was embarrassing!

FWIW, I used to add some power for wheelies. I've since started doing them without extra power, essentially like a 3 point, and it's made for much better landings. More forward stick is needed at touch-down, not because it's bouncy, but because the tail is droopy because it's so much slower.

It's a good problem to have, the whole 'can't get this thing slowed down enough to..' bit. First world problems indeed :D

Hah! Must have been the day for high and hot, came in that way on approach to CHA Sunday.

Tower: Mooney 642, you have a 70kt overtake on the stationair in front of you

642: Uh, ok, Mooney 642 is commencing S-turns.

Tower: Mooney 642, maneuver as required

642: *click* *click*

1st time doing S-turns since training, my 11yr old daughter in the right seat thought it was great fun! Even at idle, a Mooney clean at greater than 500fpm descent is doing 135 minimum. Once I got it below gear extension speed and got 15* flaps in, it was draggy enough to both descend and slow.

I've flown a mooney super 21 and a 201 . The CFI who checked me out had over 4000 hours in one. He stressed slowing it down to 70 in the pattern, full flaps on downwind, 70 base, 70 turning final then landing it as I would the Cessna 180 taildragger, full stall. Worked great. Very nice airplane, fun to fly easy to land. Sort of like a porsche of the air. If flown too fast landing you can count on a go round.(this was on a 2000 ft. Runway in most cases)

Last edited:
He stressed slowing it down to 70 in the pattern, full flaps on downwind, 70 base, 70 turning final then landing

Definately the safe way to go, get established at 70 very early. I fly downwind clean at 15", which is about 100kts.

You'd be suprised at how many certificated pilots forget how to properly execute a go-around. Any flight review I give includes atleast one go-around.

Back