welp, Dad broke his hip

Thank you for the nice thoughts everyone.

Dad was already sitting in a chair yesterday. He was however very concerned that he can't put weight on the leg as of yesterday afternoon. I said, "Well Dad, you just got pinned less than 24 hours ago"! He is impatient and wants to get this moving along. I guess this is good news in that he isn't going to let this keep him down.

Ahem.. red flag here... why is he on coumadin? I'm hoping that whomever is holding it is also considering the use of an alternative (short acting) right up to the day of surgery.

Hope everything goes well, and he recovers fully...

Dave, my Dad was pretty sure they didn't put him on anything else the few days before surgery. They took him off coumadin and I asked him several times about the "bridge" that you and Dr. Jim mentioned. He said "nada".

I also found out to my surprise that he DOES have a mechanical valve. I was certain it was a pig valve - if for no other reason that I can't think of where I would have heard of a pig valve other than with my Dad.

Good news, sounds like he has the right attitude about hospitals.
Thank you for the nice thoughts everyone.

Dad was already sitting in a chair yesterday. He was however very concerned that he can't put weight on the leg as of yesterday afternoon. I said, "Well Dad, you just got pinned less than 24 hours ago"! He is impatient and wants to get this moving along. I guess this is good news in that he isn't going to let this keep him down.

Update:

Dad is going home tomorrow. Not a nursing home or another hospital, home. He's getting around really well and I suppose his numbers must be good enough to send him home. He's really champing at the bit to get outta there.

Update:

Dad is going home tomorrow. Not a nursing home or another hospital, home. He's getting around really well and I suppose his numbers must be good enough to send him home. He's really champing at the bit to get outta there.

Great news!!!!! :yesnod:

Update:

Excellent, Beth, excellent.

Update:

I can fully understand his desire. Glad he's coming along so well.

Hi everyone

He actually is still there now. Friday the docs said his numbers weren't quite where they wanted him so he had to stay the wkd. I'm glad, actually, b/c I thought it was weird they were ready to send him home so fast even though he's mobile and getting around pretty well. I'd just as soon he be in a hospital and monitored. Once he is out he has to contend with the Labrador Lapdog which can't be a good thing after hip surgery.

He's already said he's going to be walker and maybe cane free when I get there in two weeks. We shall see! I'd be a little nervous about him getting rid of support so fast.

Hi everyone

He actually is still there now. Friday the docs said his numbers weren't quite where they wanted him so he had to stay the wkd. I'm glad, actually, b/c I thought it was weird they were ready to send him home so fast even though he's mobile and getting around pretty well. I'd just as soon he be in a hospital and monitored. Once he is out he has to contend with the Labrador Lapdog which can't be a good thing after hip surgery.

He's already said he's going to be walker and maybe cane free when I get there in two weeks. We shall see! I'd be a little nervous about him getting rid of support so fast.

They just want to help!

Glad to hear that it went well. :yes:

I thought I'd update everyone on Dad this morning. I already told Bill about this..

He is already getting into mischief. You have to know my Dad to appreciate this, but, they got home last Wednesday morning from Florida. Drove all day Tuesday and then the last bit on Wednesday morning. He's already spent a good part of one day mowing the lawn (they have a MASSIVE lawn - golf course lawn mower and it's still a huge long chore) and apparently the next day he managed to get the back of his car teetering off the ravine/cliff on my parents' property. He had to dump ashes from the woodstove in the basement and of course it's a bit much to carry so far, so he hefted it into the trunk of his car and then backed up to the ravine. He got it stuck somehow and couldn't get out. Stump stump stump back to the house, hollered for Mom's minivan keys and took off to the store in search of a winch cable. Apparently he winched/dragged the car off the side of the ravine with his pickup. I didn't hear the rest of the story yet but it must have been a happy ending because he didn't mention it when I called (this was Mom's play by play story). Naturally he doesn't bother to call a neighbor or a friend to help with this adventure.

Please note: This all took place in less than 5 weeks since the accident. Ya think he'll be OK for Italy in 4 weeks?

It sounds like you are blessed with quite an adventurous father. Blessed, cursed, depends on the day. :)

I think you should "consider" the diagnosis of early alzheimers........It doesn't sound like he handles non-normal situations well....at ALL. And his level of situational awareness.....well, is plainly lacking.

Who's going to Europe with him? He may well need a full time custodian with the stresses of travel....(Only said because I've BTDT).

Last edited:
I think you should "consider" the diagnosis of early alzheimers........It doesn't sound like he handles non-normal situations well....at ALL. And his level of situational awareness.....well, is plainly lacking.

Who's going to Europe with him? He may well need a full time custodian with the stresses of travel....(Only said because I've BTDT).

Nah, Dad's pretty much always like this. His way or the highway and stubborn as hell. You cannot make him sit still. In Florida he was actually doing pretty well with sticking close to home, now that he is home in PA he's back to "normal" which is what I warned Mom would happen. I was right. "not carrying" the bucket over to the ravine makes sense (Mom could have carried it herself but he wasn't about to ask), the rest of it, well, that's Dad. It is ever thus.

ps. forgot to mention - he's been off his pain meds for at least two weeks now. In fact he's complaining more about his bum knee (which was bum before the accident) than he is about his hip now.

Ghery and Ted - quite right.

ps. missed your last Q Dr. B - I'm taking my parents to Italy/Switzerland. I took Dad to Normandy last summer, he was a great travel companion. Usually it's just Mom and me. This year I'm taking them both together.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back