Wellbutrin/Bupropion

CaptainMorganNC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CaptainMorganNC
Is it possible to get a medical when you have a prescription for Bupropion? I have been on it for a long time and wanted to start flying again. I have not flown in about 10 years. I went off of it because I want to start flying again, but I am having some big side effects. I was taking it for OCD.

If I am never going to pass a medical with it how long do I have to be off of it to pass my medical? Also, say I am off of it for a while and get my medical then go to basic med. Am I going to get caught it I go back on it? I'm not really for cheating the system, but I really would like to start flying again.

I started working on my private certificate in the late 90s and have made on and off attempts to finish it till present day. I love flying but always run into financial issues. I have soloed a couple times so at least I have that!

No. Buproprion is not permitted no matter WHAT reason you are taking it (even for things like smoking cessation). Even on the legal drugs having "huge side effects" is disqualifying. You might be able to get off It or switch to another approved medication and then jump through the hoops for that, but that's an arduous process with no guarantee of success.

Did you ever have a medical? If so what was the date it was issued and how old were you? All you need for basic med is to have held a medical that was valid some time since mid-2006 and haven't subsequently had one canceled or denied.

My last 3rd class was 2009. Can I not be caught flying under basic med on medication?

Basic med doesn’t prohibit any type of medications. Your Dr has to agree and sign that your current conditions with the meds listed doesn’t make you unsafe. Alas, get the basic medical and if you have been in it a while with no side effects you are good to go. Just cover your bases.

My last 3rd class was 2009. Can I not be caught flying under basic med on medication?
At 2009, you are eligible for basic med. Your next question is if your OCD rises to the level of a personality disorder that has manifested itself with repeated overt acts. If not, then it's up to you and your doctor. However, I would advise against it Buproprion isn't tame stuff.

Can you solo as a student with basic med ? Can you take the check ride with basic med?

Yep, and it's easier now that they decoupled the student pilot certificate from the medical.

Of course, it's not as easy now to get a student pilot certificate for someone as a joke.

You still have to comply with FAR 61.53.

I'm not saying you're suggesting this, but....to clarify - many people try to say that the 61.53 decision must be made to 3rd class medical standards and therefore you must meet 3rd class standards even under basicmed. That's incorrect, the standard for 61.53 is always determined by the pilot for the operation being conducted.

In your case specifically: Is it advisable to operate an airplane while taking drugs for/suffering from depression? That's a serious discussion to have with the prescribing doctor, including what might happen if you don't take your medicine. My opinion is no, in a large part based on the Germanwings accident, which should have been avoidable with additional caution from the medical system. The core issue is that a pilot suffering from depression cannot be depended upon to follow 61.53 and self ground. There were plenty of warning signs that were only put together after the fact.

So, yes you can fly. Should you fly is a better question.

Is it advisable to operate an airplane while taking drugs for/suffering from depression? That's a serious discussion to have with the prescribing doctor, including what might happen if you don't take your medicine.

It really depends on the case and what the OP develops when he is off medication. High degree of variability if the signs and symptoms for which this type of drug is prescribed. Discussing with the physician is very good advice.

I'm not saying you're suggesting this, but....to clarify - many people try to say that the 61.53 decision must be made to 3rd class medical standards and therefore you must meet 3rd class standards even under basicmed. That's incorrect, the standard for 61.53 is always determined by the pilot for the operation being conducted.

In your case specifically: Is it advisable to operate an airplane while taking drugs for/suffering from depression? That's a serious discussion to have with the prescribing doctor, including what might happen if you don't take your medicine. My opinion is no, in a large part based on the Germanwings accident, which should have been avoidable with additional caution from the medical system. The core issue is that a pilot suffering from depression cannot be depended upon to follow 61.53 and self ground. There were plenty of warning signs that were only put together after the fact.

So, yes you can fly. Should you fly is a better question.
THIS!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back