Well, this looks like fun...

TFR doesn't mean you can't fly. You have to be talking and squawking. And probably can't do patterns at FDK, have to run over W32 or some other place.

TFR doesn't mean you can't fly. You have to be talking and squawking. And probably can't do patterns at FDK, have to run over W32 or some other place.
Well heck...
It was my CFI who cancelled. Seems like days like today would be great training scenarios.

Kind of like all the sessions where we were kept in the pattern due to low ceiling instead of going to the practice area - funny enough we've had to postpone foggle training multiple times because of the very conditions that foggles are supposed to simulate.

what if we got like 100 of us and we circled juuuust outside one of the tfr's for hours..........or enough of us to circle all of them..............."I'm not touching youuuu"
I would love to do something like this. But, I'm afraid the result would be "Ok, we'll make the TFR 200 miles. Circle outside that my *******!"

Well heck...
It was my CFI who cancelled. Seems like days like today would be great training scenarios.

Kind of like all the sessions where we were kept in the pattern due to low ceiling instead of going to the practice area - funny enough we've had to postpone foggle training multiple times because of the very conditions that foggles are supposed to simulate.

Hmm, your CFI is not also a CFII? I would have no problems with taking a PPL student on a short IFR hop.

Hmm, your CFI is not also a CFII? I would have no problems with taking a PPL student on a short IFR hop.
I haven't asked but I assumed that he is. Not sure if some of these things are policy of this particular school.

They do. If you have ever had the president visit your hometown, you know the SS has no qualms about shutting down major freeways. My question is always, why not a helicopter from point of landing to point of begging for money event?
I live in Hagerstown, which was closed. So we fly both AIRFORCE one and 2 helicopters while driving up 2 limos and all of the support so he could speak 15 minutes at Volvo to claim he's pro union. And the best part, start the speech with "LET ME SAY JUST TWO WORDS"
"MADE IN AMERICA" for the company that is owned by Chinese

I live in Hagerstown, which was closed. So we fly both AIRFORCE one and 2 helicopters while driving up 2 limos and all of the support so he could speak 15 minutes at Volvo to claim he's pro union. And the best part, start the speech with "LET ME SAY JUST TWO WORDS"
"MADE IN AMERICA" for the company that is owned by Chinese
Just be thankful it wasn't worse....

We don't have that issue in **** you country. Last time the motorcade came out a south service entrance of the airport. I had to wait 2 minutes until they were out of sight, then they opened the road up. A car with its hazards on will tie up traffic just as much or more on the GW. Don't make it sound like that's the only thing to cause delays.
Didn't make it "sound" like anything - commented on an event that occurred. His departure was delayed and they left the beltway closed while waiting - MD traffic was stopped at the ramp from the GW to 495.

Did anyone actually read the TFRs? Especially the two overlapping ones near Philadelphia? I was a little confused by those and am wondering if anyone could help clarify for me if I missed something.

I happened to be flying from NH to KLOM on the 6th, returning to NH on the 8th. The Poughkeepsie TFRs were in effect in the 6th, but I flew through the area earlier than their start time so no factor.

The two overlapping ones for the Philadelphia and Wilmington areas were the ones that were confusing to me. They both described four areas. Essentially the 10 and 30 mile rings around Philadelphia, and what I believe were 12 and 28 mile rings around Wilmington (if I recall correctly), minus the exceptions around some airports as noted earlier in this thread. Each area had the start and end times associated with the area, and the 10 and 30 mile rings around Philadelphia were only active on the 7th for a few hours, while the 12 and 28 mile rings around Wilmington were active all weekend.

What I found strange/confusing was that 1) there were two TFRs that to me looked like that had the same descriptions, and 2) my EFB as well as the FFA TFR site graphically showed the Philadelphia rings active Saturday morning when I was planning my flight out of KLOM. The descriptions indicated they were not actually active, yet the rings were present and red during this time.

While KLOM was inside the 30 mile outer ring of the Philadelphia TFR, it wasn’t active (based on the TFR text) and I shouldn’t have needed to deal with it, but opted to file and get a squawk code anyway just in case I was missing something in my interpretation (as well as my confusion as to why there were two seemingly duplicate TFRs - could I have missed a subtle but important difference?).

As it turns out, by the time I departed on the 8th, my final briefing showed the two TFRs had been replaced by a single new one with only the Wilmington rings described. The Philadelphia rings no longer showed up as active when I departed. I did get a squawk code and file as planned anyway, but was more confident that it wasn’t necessary.

I did end up flying north through the Hudson River exclusion just after sunset - none of the TFRs in the NYC area were active at the time.

Sorry for the long post, but was just wondering if anyone read the details of the Philadelphia/Wilmington TFRs and saw anything I missed that justified the “duplicate” or the two areas appearing active Saturday when only one should have.

Back