Well run airports

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Asking for a little help from this group ... a colleague is working on a project for the Airport Cooperative Research Program on worker training at general aviation airports and is looking for some specific airports to study.

So, from your viewpoint, what airports have well-trained maintenance people working at the airport? I do not mean aircraft maintenance. I mean airfield maintenance. The guys who mow the grass and repair the lights and paint the stripes and plow snow etc.

I will be monitoring this thread, or you can email me directly at ken.ibold @ rsandh.com.

Thanks!!

KMSO, they do creative things (Like spraying CO2 around to dissipate fog) the grounds are well kept and they're constantly improving the facility, new tower is about to open. The mesh of regionals, slurry bombers, helis and spam cans is handled quite well. I did get snowplowed IN this winter but they leaving the plowing of the FBO's are up to the FBO so I can't fault them for that.

Wow. That cooperative hired some real dolt managers if they needed to hire outside staff to teach people how to mow grass better.

Hiring error. Ha.

I ***** and moan about the airport management at KADS, but they perform maintenance and upkeep very well.

You might check out KHUT, 3 runways, ILS and a tower. The current manager is great and I think they go way overboard on the mowing. It was a great airport for me to have my shop. Midwest Malibu Center is now in my hangar. The airport maintenance guys do a good job.

Ken, I'm sure its not the type of airport that your friend is looking for but 6Y9er is really really well managed. Its of course small and a turf fiend and has the same number of ops in one year that some have in one day but Brad runs it so well because its so personal for him.

From what I see, KHEF is well maintained with minimal disruption to flight operations (occasional gripes about the card-access system but I think the issue is driven by TSA security requirements & liability issues). KOKV has also been well maintained/run. Haven't been in a few years, but KSGR was always well-run, too.

Back