Well, it ain't a plane...

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
New camper. This die-hard tent camper was finally convinced to go RV by the wife (who refuses to get into anything nylon beyond a jacket).

25', sleeps six but set up for two, slideout, propane fridge, a/c, heat, lots of neat features. F250 Diesel shouldn't have a problem with it.

Pick it up on Friday, first trip next week, combination business/pleasure to the San Diego area.

The pics are a very similar one from the dealer's website. Only difference is mine has an outdoor shower as well and the couch and dinette upholstery matches the chairs. Sorry for low-res. I'll post more when I pick it up.

Any advice for a RV newbie? :D

7 miles per gallon. Only a little worse than my Seneca II and you can sleep in it! :)

Where are the wings? Looks a little big and heavy too, without many aerodynamic qualities to it.

It's a nice looking rig, Brian. Now, you will be obligated to take those vacation days!

Jim

Brian Austin said:

1.) Watch your turns. In other words, don't forget you have an extra
20'ft hanging out the back.

2.) After you flush the toilet run a little water back into the bottom.
It helps to keep the seal from drying out which keeps the nasty
smells where they belong.

greg

Brian Austin said:
Any advice for a RV newbie?

Big, BIG mirrors for the F250. Change lanes early, people won't realize how much room you're going to need, and they won't be accommodating in letting you get to your exit, etc.

Enjoy, looks like a nice place to take with you. :cheerswine:

If you've never pulled a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer before, go to an empty parking lot, set up some cones and practice turns and backing. A 5er does not follow like a standard trailer does - it cuts inside your turning radius.

Watch the cab of the truck and the corner of the trailer when backing and turning short - do you have a standard 8' bed or a short bed? Watch the clearance between the underside of the trailer and the bed height - 4x4 or standard?

Ditto on keeping water in the toilet bowl - helps seal it. Also a ziplock bag of water tossed in there seals well - just don't forget it it's in there.

When you level the trailer, also check the freezer or fridge floor for level - absorbtion fridges can damage themselves if run too far out of level.

Do a dry run campout in the driveway and make a list of everything you forgot or find you need...

Start your fridge the day or two before the trip - prefreeze the frozen foods, prechill the fridge foods

Conserve your water... watch your grey/black water tank levels...

After you pick it up, go straight to a truck scale and weigh it - dealers and manufactures uh.... lie.... weigh the axles, weigh the pin, even weigh side to side if they're not busy. You might be surprised how far reality is from sticker truth... then load it up like you're ready for camping and do it all over again! Then shift your loads that can be shifted to balance things out.

You also may want to check out the forums at rv.net - lots of great info there.

just off the top of my head...

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:
New camper. This die-hard tent camper was finally convinced to go RV by the wife (who refuses to get into anything nylon beyond a jacket).

25', sleeps six but set up for two, slideout, propane fridge, a/c, heat, lots of neat features. F250 Diesel shouldn't have a problem with it.

Pick it up on Friday, first trip next week, combination business/pleasure to the San Diego area.

The pics are a very similar one from the dealer's website. Only difference is mine has an outdoor shower as well and the couch and dinette upholstery matches the chairs. Sorry for low-res. I'll post more when I pick it up.

Nice rig. Congrats :cheerswine:
1. Plastic leveling blocks from department store. (kind that lock together)
2. Calibrated bubble levels on front and side. Back into spot, they tell you how many inches off from side to side. Pull out place blocks under low side then back onto them.
3. Level front to back with front jacks.
Gary

You want advice? Stay out of my way. Really, I'm serious. Perhaps your 250 will have no problem, but please be mindful that you are going much slower than normal traffic. 'Round these parts the major traffic corridors are single lane with many hills and grades thrown in. All it takes is one slow mover to clog the road for miles upon miles. All I'm saying is please be courteous.

gibbons said:
Yes, don't think about how many nights you could have slept in a very nice hotel for what you spent on the RV. :no:
I made that calculation on a pop-up camper I bought for the kids a year ago. :hairraise: But then, very nice hotels frown on big campfires and running around with a smore in one hand and a frog in the other. And then there' s the joy of waking up on a 40 degree morning, toasty with the heat on, and listening to the chattering teeth of the tent campers you came with.

All in all, I'll take the nice hotel, tho the kids would beg to differ.

Brian Austin said:

Quick stops place the loose stuff in the front of the camper.

Jack rabbit starts place all the loose stuff in the back of the camper.

But don't worry about the starts with that ford. (won't happen) :)

Dodge diesel driver

Happy camping, Barb and I have had most all camp vehicles, piggy back campers, 5th wheels, pop ups, and now we have a 20' Terry tag along camp trailer we like it because that leaves the truck bed open for more STUFF. Like lawn chairs, extra propane, extra Diesel fuel, picnic table, dome tent, dog food, tarp, genset, genset fuel, fish poles, blow up boat, bait, boatmotor, boat motor fuel, big Igloocooler, blue ice, guns, ammo, ropes, axe, chainsaw, chainsaw fuel, and last but not least, a moped, moped fuel, helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and bandaids.

Last edited:
gibbons said:
Yes, don't think about how many nights you could have slept in a very nice hotel for what you spent on the RV. :no:
Nice hotels aren't sitting on the side of a little visited lake at 7,500MSL with lots of browns and rainbows.

Sometimes it's not about the amenities...

Richard said:
You want advice? Stay out of my way. Really, I'm serious. Perhaps your 250 will have no problem, but please be mindful that you are going much slower than normal traffic. 'Round these parts the major traffic corridors are single lane with many hills and grades thrown in. All it takes is one slow mover to clog the road for miles upon miles. All I'm saying is please be courteous.
LOL...okay, Richard.

Around THESE parts, there is one, single road for a few hundred miles connecting two towns. We learn to pass and pass fast, even on mountain roads and winding turns. And local trailer haulers always know where the passing zones are and where they aren't...and move over whenever they can. It's the out-of-state folks that haven't figured it out.

Besides, more often than not, the diesel pullers around HERE are sitting on YOUR butt waiting for you to move along. "Much slower" isn't the case here in AZ. Speed limit is 75 for everyone, not the wimped down limit that CA has for trailer haulers. Most of us settle down around 80-85.

Brian Austin said:
LOL...okay, Richard.

Around THESE parts, there is one, single road for a few hundred miles connecting two towns. We learn to pass and pass fast, even on mountain roads and winding turns. And local trailer haulers always know where the passing zones are and where they aren't...and move over whenever they can. It's the out-of-state folks that haven't figured it out.

Besides, more often than not, the diesel pullers around HERE are sitting on YOUR butt waiting for you to move along. "Much slower" isn't the case here in AZ. Speed limit is 75 for everyone, not the wimped down limit that CA has for trailer haulers. Most of us settle down around 80-85.

Big 10-4, ol buddy. I sure appreciate those guys who can haul and keep best fwd speed. In fact, I'll even let them go by me if they want.

Joe Williams said:
Guess a should quit giving the finger to everyone that passes me, for this month anyway.
At least you're just using the finger. Now I'll have to holster the .44 (my little Engine Killer :D ) until the end of the month.

Brian Austin said:

Make sure everything outside is disconnected and stowed before taking off.

If it has dual wheels on the axle, check the inner tire pressure religiously.

Know your vertical clearance requirements.

lancefisher said:
Make sure everything outside is disconnected and stowed before taking off.
Excellent point - create and use a "before takeoff" checklist for everything disconnected (sewer, water, electrical), stowed (tv antenna, awning, steps, jacks, etc)

lancefisher said:
If it has dual wheels on the axle, check the inner tire pressure religiously.
Looks like single wheel, tandem axle to me.

gkainz said:
Excellent point - create and use a "before takeoff" checklist for everything disconnected (sewer, water, electrical), stowed (tv antenna, awning, steps, jacks, etc)

Looks like single wheel, tandem axle to me.
I like the checklist idea.

And yes, it's single wheel per axle.

Brian Austin said:
And yes, it's single wheel per axle.
Which brings to mind another thing. When these things are designed the designers make assumptions about weight. If you spec out the interior in an unsual way OR you store lots of stuff in it, you might be putting more weight on the tires than was ever intended. Get it weighed when it's in the configuration you plan to use it, stocked with food and water, all electronics onboard etc. Do not overload the tires (or anything else for that matter).

Get a rock shield for the back of your truck. stop the road trash from damaging your 5th wheel.

set your electric brake controller to a setting that gives you a little tug before the truck brakes strart to apply.

Haven't had a trailer or RV for quite some time, but these are all great suggestions. The checklist is important as it can be very easy to take off with something still connected. And, repairs aren't cheap.

My longest rig was a 22 foot class A with our sailboat hanging off the back (Hunter 23.5). 50 feet tip to tail. You're getting into that range and you MUST plan ahead. Lane changes require a lot of fore thought. Start and stop distances are greatly multiplied. Don't be in a hurry and do your best to avoid any rapid lane changes or turns.

Have fun. Looks like you'll be quite comfortable with that trailer.

Steve said:
June is Lane Courtesy Month

No it's not. :no: :no: :no:

Any day with less than 4 near misses on a 16 mile round trip is a safe day.

I got put, ALL 4 WHEELS, in the ditch on the way home today to avoid a head on. In the interest of safety, I crossed the ditch entirely for an added buffer and I was still worried.

June is hostile driver month just like the other 11 months of the year.

fgcason said:
No it's not. :no: :no: :no:

Any day with less than 4 near misses on a 16 mile round trip is a safe day.

I got put, ALL 4 WHEELS, in the ditch on the way home today to avoid a head on. In the interest of safety, I crossed the ditch entirely for an added buffer and I was still worried.

June is hostile driver month just like the other 11 months of the year.

Wow, you okay?

Yesterday, I was involved in a very near miss at speed. It was only because I was watching this drugged out hippy that I avoided a 3 car pile up at 65 mph. He would have rolled his 4x4 van if I so much had tapped him. My instantaneous max braking allowed us all to walk away. Then there was the lady who kept her city street speed while merging onto the freeway. After I passed her in the left lane she punched it to scream by me and turn into my lane to avoid the car in front of her. That was my monthly trip to the city.

It helps to be in the mindset that you must do the thinking for everyone around you.

bbchien said:
7 miles per gallon. Only a little worse than my Seneca II and you can sleep in it! :)

Nah, not if he's got the F250 Diesel. As long as he keeps it below 72 he should see 14mpg pulling it. If he gets a slipper for the roof of the truck, he can get 16.

Henning said:
Nah, not if he's got the F250 Diesel. As long as he keeps it below 72 he should see 14mpg pulling it. If he gets a slipper for the roof of the truck, he can get 16.
Right on the money! Haven't pulled this one yet but I've towed a 24ft trailer, at about 9,000lbs at 70. Avg mpg was 14.5 with the a/c on. I had a high-rise shell on the back that acted as a slipper real nice.

This guy is 22ft behind the bed (three foot over the bed) at 7,100 empty. If we're out quite a bit, I might get the mod later but for now, it's not that big of a deal. The shell is off now, first time in 5+ years. Detailing tomorrow. This will be the first time it's been through a carwash since I've owned it. The 7'6" clearance has eliminated the automatic washes before now. :)

And it arrives...

What a beast. Much bigger than I anticipated but actually cruises okay.

Interior is about the same as the previous pics. The attached pic is with it on my truck.

Richard said:
Wow, you okay?

Yea. No biggie really. Ancient steel jeep grand wagoneer with leaf springs all the way around, it'll go through just about anything non event as long as you don't drive it like a sports car. Most smaller cars with no clearance at lower velocity are physically incapable of following me across a ditch. Ditch didn't even phase me, the near head on is what scares me. Outmass 3+:1 so it's somewhat survivable but I must have that vehicle for the move out of town in a couple months if I can ever find a place to scamper off to.

Richard said:
Yesterday, I was involved in a very near miss at speed. It was only because I was watching this drugged out hippy that I avoided a 3 car pile up at 65 mph. He would have rolled his 4x4 van if I so much had tapped him. My instantaneous max braking allowed us all to walk away. Then there was the lady who kept her city street speed while merging onto the freeway. After I passed her in the left lane she punched it to scream by me and turn into my lane to avoid the car in front of her. That was my monthly trip to the city.

BTDT 3 times today and I skipped work and took a short drive. That won't even get you a raised eyebrow around here.

About three weeks ago give or take, from about 1500 ft back I watched a sports car go through a well established redlight way over the speedlimit. The resulting impact took both front wheels off the innocent minivan. Resulting instant traffic jam was so bad I had to find another route to work. Redlight runner didn't survive the impact long enough to slide to a stop. Self inflicted IMO. I think it bothers me that that kind of thing doesn't bother me anymore.

I can't get away from cities soon enough...

Back