Well, I certainly found the most expensive way to get to Florida.

We are rapidly approaching the point of having bought this plane twice. She'd better behave for a few years.

Man, that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day!

We are rapidly approaching the point of having bought this plane twice. She'd better behave for a few years.
Had a friend who had to buy his farm a couple times, but had nothing to do w/a aircraft.

Holy cow Jim, I just now have some time to catch up on POA from my computer after driving for 40 or so hours, with some cat naps in between. I know you commented on my post as I also got stranded on the way to Florida and ended up driving. Glad you and the family landed safely. Your incident looks like instant VFR into IMC but a 180 wouldn't help. Where in Florida are you?

Holy cow Jim, I just now have some time to catch up on POA from my computer after driving for 40 or so hours, with some cat naps in between. I know you commented on my post as I also got stranded on the way to Florida and ended up driving. Glad you and the family landed safely. Your incident looks like instant VFR into IMC but a 180 wouldn't help. Where in Florida are you?
We go to the gulf coast near ft Myers, and now we are hitting bush gardens in Tampa for a couple days before heading home. We've done a winter trip about a dozen times now. Flown commercial 3x, GA once, drove the rest and was hoping never again.

You mentioned NW FL... where did you go?

We’re in the Destin area. Only the second time we’re here. We normally try to get out of the cold in the winter and have tried Florida, Texas and California so far. Think we’ll stick with Florida going forward and hopefully it’ll be GA all the way in future trips.

We’re in the Destin area. Only the second time we’re here. We normally try to get out of the cold in the winter and have tried Florida, Texas and California so far. Think we’ll stick with Florida going forward and hopefully it’ll be GA all the way in future trips.
Have you been to the air force armament museum there? They have some cool stuff. We went to Panama city for few years, but had a couple times that were not so pleasant weather wise and started going further south in search of a bit more warmth.

Have you been to the air force armament museum there? They have some cool stuff. We went to Panama city for few years, but had a couple times that were not so pleasant weather wise and started going further south in search of a bit more warmth.

Destin can be hit or miss in the winter, so yes I like further south as well. I love Destin late summer/early fall, after school is back in but before it gets cold.

Oceanfront?
You have to cross old 98, but there's nothing between my unit and the gulf. Search for Amalfi Coast Resort.

What restaurant were you at where you had the MotherClucker?

You have to cross old 98, but there's nothing between my unit and the gulf. Search for Amalfi Coast Resort.

What restaurant were you at where you had the MotherClucker?

Good location, I've stayed at Majestic Sun, Maravilla, Sterling Sands, or "downtown" at the Emerald Grand depending on mood and what we can find.

The MotherClucker was at Feed Table and Tavern.

Destin is awesome. Anyone wanting to stay in Miramar on old 98 and needs a 3BR/3BA condo, I'm happy to give you the PoA discount :)

what if I only needed 1BR/1BA? are there good golf courses nearby?

...I love Destin late summer/early fall, after school is back in but before it gets cold...
100% agree. The best time of year in Destin is Sept-early Nov. As the kids leave the house and we don't have school to contend w/, my wife and I are looking forward to vacationing in Destin at that time of year. We've already taken advantage of Covid WFH flexibility to spend more time there. With my luck, when my youngest goes to college this fall, my employer will have pulled the plug on WFH.

what if I only needed 1BR/1BA? are there good golf courses nearby?
Us living so close to Myrtle, it's doesn't feel right recommending Destin as a golf destination. Sandestin Golf Resort is ~1 mile away and there are several other courses. Destin has plenty of 1BR/1BA condos. There are quite a few at Amalfi. Some owners have told me the 1-2 BR units rent better than the larger units like mine. My layout works well for 3 couples or 2 couples with kids staying in the 3rd BR.

Us living so close to Myrtle, it's doesn't feel right recommending Destin as a golf destination. Sandestin Golf Resort is ~1 mile away and there are several other courses. Destin has plenty of 1BR/1BA condos. There are quite a few at Amalfi. Some owners have told me the 1-2 BR units rent better than the larger units like mine. My layout works well for 3 couples or 2 couples with kids staying in the 3rd BR.

do u golf?

do u golf?
Not really. At my best, I was still of the caliber of judging a round by how many balls I lost :) Pre-kids, I probably got a dozen or so rounds in a year. I spent a ton of time at the driving range when I lived in Atlanta as it was close to work and disposing of bucket of balls took just enough time to let the traffic lighten up before heading home.

Further south is probably too hot. We get really hot summers in the part we're from in Canada so I don't mind cooler temps in the winter - just not sub 0 temperatures for months on end. 50s to 60s with the occasional day in the 70s is perfect "winter" weather so the panhandle in Florida works just fine. We could probably go as far north as coastal SC and still be happy with the weather. Once you get south of Orlando, I think it might be too hot even in the winter.

Further south is probably too hot. We get really hot summers in the part we're from in Canada so I don't mind cooler temps in the winter - just not sub 0 temperatures for months on end. 50s to 60s with the occasional day in the 70s is perfect "winter" weather so the panhandle in Florida works just fine. We could probably go as far north as coastal SC and still be happy with the weather. Once you get south of Orlando, I think it might be too hot even in the winter.
Understand. Felt like it was about 75% Canadians in Panama City. LOTS of New Yorkers where we stay. I want it to be hot. I really liked the keys, but there arent any beaches, and Miami is just too nuts.

Further south is probably too hot. We get really hot summers in the part we're from in Canada so I don't mind cooler temps in the winter

I get the desire for that if you're staying the entire winter, but for us, we want a week of warmth and sunshine!!!

The plan is to spend most of the winter in Florida eventually. Not this year but hopefully starting next year. Winter really annoys me a lot lol.

I do see a lot of Canadians here. I’d say a good 30% of the cars have Canadian plates and even more people I’m guessing thinking some fly in. I don’t mind these Canadians - most are nice haha.

I saw some fighter jets earlier today just over DTS. Don’t think it was Blue Angels. I actually caught a Blue Angels show the year before COVID hit up in Canada at an air show out east. Impressive stuff!

The plan is to spend most of the winter in Florida eventually. Not this year but hopefully starting next year. Winter really annoys me a lot lol.

I do see a lot of Canadians here. I’d say a good 30% of the cars have Canadian plates and even more people I’m guessing thinking some fly in. I don’t mind these Canadians - most are nice haha.

I saw some fighter jets earlier today just over DTS. Don’t think it was Blue Angels. I actually caught a Blue Angels show the year before COVID hit up in Canada at an air show out east. Impressive stuff!
One thing we've noticed this year that we've never seen is Canadian flags and "welcome Canadians" signs all over. I'm sure the border closure last year was devastating to a lot of those areas.

...Canadian flags and "welcome Canadians" signs all over. I'm sure the border closure last year was devastating to a lot of those areas.
Most every year I've had a snow bird rent my condo Jan through mid-March. Not so the last three years. It didn't hurt me from a revenue perspective. Renting an entire month that time of year is relatively cheap. It doesn't take much by the way of daily rental rate renters to match it. Running a restaurant or something is a different story. I'm sure they were hurt.

Last edited:
Living in Fairbanks is just a dumb idea. Hard pass.
Says the guy who loves Illinois...

IMG_20220216_151144860.jpg

Well there's your problem. The shaft left me one little parting smooch on its way out.

I managed to download the jpi. Anxious to see what it recorded when I get home.

Says the guy who loves Illinois...

View attachment 104695

Well there's your problem. The shaft left me one little parting smooch on its way out.

I managed to download the jpi. Anxious to see what it recorded when I get home.

do the threads look stripped? can't tell from the pic....

do the threads look stripped? can't tell from the pic....
I looked at it IRL and I couldn't really tell what I was looking at. I think it knocked the head off the plug, then spun the threaded portion out, flattening the tops of the threads as it went. I could see the gear sitting in there.

Besides the nick, did it shoot out hard enough to damage anything else? I'm trying to envision what would let go to cause that to eject itself

Besides the nick, did it shoot out hard enough to damage anything else? I'm trying to envision what would let go to cause that to eject itself
My question exactly. We couldn't find any other damage, which is kind of amazing on its own.

Back