Well, Heck, That was fun...

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
...we (CJane, Tomster and I) are back from our most excellent adventure to San Francisco. We left Christmas morning, flew there non-stop on a venerable silver MD80, no issues, and the hotel we had selected, the Hotel Rex, was a very pleasant place, small, well-appointed and with staff who were like family as soon as we arrived.

Great time touristing around, Monterey Bay Aquarium for Tommy on Tuesday (rented a car for one (1) day, returned same day, parking $34.00/night otherwise!).

Wednesday, all around wandering including the Pampanito, WWII-era submarine at Pier 41, absolutely fascinating and amazing that so many people served on such a small vessel. These were brave souls, and I was again proud that Tommy understands the substance of what he sees, the historical significance.

Thursday, an old-fashioned tour on a bus, with a great (funny) tourguide. I never have cared for bus tours, but this one was not bad. Closed out with supper at Scala, decent food and indifferent service at a very high price, but were able to host a young couple, husband is son of a friend and client, good fun.

Then came Friday.

We were scheduled to take 3:50 pm flight to DFW, and I had registered for text message flight updates from AA; at 1:50, phone beeps and message: "Cancelled. Call." Call I did, and the supremely disinterested young man on the other end said he could rebook me on the 5:50 flight, or the 2:45 flight if we thought we could make it. Since we had a town car scheduled for 2:00 and were minutes from the hotel, we took it and hustled- got to the airport just in time to be told by the counter agent that we were "too late" to check in and check bags (it was 2:16 pm), but she eventually decided to make a special dispensation and checked our bags.

Off to the gate, boarded and got seated, and were told we were going to depart "...about 30 minutes late..." because of weather; indeed, about ten minutes later, the Cap'n told us we were now expected to leave about four hours late, because of the severe thunderstorms and tornadoes and farm animals falling from the sky at Dallas-Ft. Worth, so we deplaned to wait.

Then they cancelled the flight, along with every other flight to DFW for the day. Ironically enough, a 4-hour delay would have been perfect, as that would have had us arriving in weather which, according to the TAF, would have been by then benign. I suspect, more than anything else, that the cxld it because they had way too many aircraft stuck at DFW already, and wanted to leave the outstation aircraft where it was for the next day.

Anyway, AA could not be bothered to actually (1) make useful announcements, or (2) make any special efforts to re-accommodate the passengers. Huge lines, a couple of overworked agents, and phone lines which automatically hung up on callers after about 15 seconds.

I finally managed to "drill-through" to a res agent on the phone, who cheerily told me that she could book us on the 9:30 am Sunday flight (!). We grabbed a cab back to the Rex, where they thoughtfully gave us the same discounted rate we had had before.

Later that night, after doing extensive web searching for flight possibilities, I found a UAL non-stop Saturday evening (was *not* going to chance a DEN connection!), about an hour on the phone w/ AA, and the very-helpful agent allowed as how they could certainly book us on that flight, and said she had done so.

Saturday dawned nice and pretty, and (making the best, as they say), we had another day of great sight-seeing, cable-car museum, Haight-Ashbury (old hippies never die, they move to SFO), that sort of thing. We grabbed the airport town car (again) at 4:00 pm, and about the time we got to the airport, Celia remembered that she'd missed one bag, the bag with ... ummm ... her ID in it. So Tommy and I stayed at the airport to check in and check bags, while Celia did the round-trip to the hotel and back in the town car (and extra $80.00, but who's counting?).

At check in, it seems that the AA rep had not quite finished her job, and the tickets were reserved but not purchased. Fortunately, the UAL counter rep, may his shadow never decrease, quickly rectified the sitch on the phone and we were checked in.

After sweating it a bit, we saw CJane walk in bearing the all-important bag, and went to security.

Y'ever get the boarding pass, and it has "SSSSS" printed on it? That's shorthand for "Full Rectal Exam." All three of us got scrutinized, got to stand in the air-puffer-phone-booth-sniffer-thingy, and our carry-ons were inspected by hand in exquisite detail.

Finally cleared, we got the gate, boarded the flight almost immediately, and found (to our delight) that we were in "Economy Plus," UA's extra room product, and the room was nice. The flight, also, left almost on-time and, despite being flown in a cheese-eating-surrender-monkey-jet, was quite comfortable. Got to DFW almost on time (they made up some time), and when the bags were spit out from the bowels of the terminal (the Braniff terminal, I reminded myself), we went out and found that the airport limo service sent a stretch limo, about which Tommy was jazzed.

Greg's airline did alright by me (Captain said "with you" on each call-up, and the controllers did not seem to mind).

Home at last, road-weary and ready for rest... took out my contacts, pulled my glasses from my computer bag, upon which I discovered that one lens was missing. D'oh! Gosh, it was there when I packed it and the bag was never opened except ... oh, yeah, the TSA folks.

Sigh.

"Time to spare, go by air; more time yet, go by jet."

Great time touristing around, Monterey Bay Aquarium for Tommy on Tuesday (rented a car for one (1) day, returned same day, parking $34.00/night otherwise!).

Sounds like you had a good time in one of my old homes. BTW, the best way to deal with SF parking is to park at the BART station oulying in your direction (as far as you can get actually) for the night or the weekend for free then grab the car after you save a buch of time and money by taking BART to get to it. I lived in downtown SF ( Civic Center actually,Market & Larkin) and worked in Walnut Creek for over a year and just used BART parking and grabbed my car in the morning, drove 5 blocks to work and dropped it back in the evening.

Sounds like you had a good time in one of my old homes. BTW, the best way to deal with SF parking is to park at the BART station oulying in your direction (as far as you can get actually) for the night or the weekend for free then grab the car after you save a buch of time and money by taking BART to get to it. I lived in downtown SF ( Civic Center actually,Market & Larkin) and worked in Walnut Creek for over a year and just used BART parking and grabbed my car in the morning, drove 5 blocks to work and dropped it back in the evening.

As I recall (left the Bay Area in 1995) CalTrain stations were good for cheap parking, too.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. There are a lot of great things to see and do, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium is right near the top of them.

Anyway, AA could not be bothered to actually (1) make useful announcements, or (2) make any special efforts to re-accommodate the passengers. Huge lines, a couple of overworked agents, and phone lines which automatically hung up on callers after about 15 seconds.

There was a story the other night here in Austin about an AA plane that sat on the tarmac for over 8 hours at Bergstrom waiting on permission to deplane passengers. According to the news reports, people were not happy about AA's handling of the situation. After sitting in a plane for over 12 hours with no meals they were greeted by closed ticket counters and no help from AA for transportation or hotels. The pilot reportedly took it upon himself to finally taxi to a gate so passengers could deplane.

http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/123006dntswstranded.331dc32.html

See, as much as I whine, the story you mention is a good reminder: it coulda been worse! The "hostage flight" at AUS was from SFO as well.

Heard tell that the FO on this flight took initiative to get a couple of dogs out from the baggage hold so they could be walked; kudos, if true!

There was a story the other night here in Austin about an AA plane that sat on the tarmac for over 8 hours at Bergstrom waiting on permission to deplane passengers. According to the news reports, people were not happy about AA's handling of the situation. After sitting in a plane for over 12 hours with no meals they were greeted by closed ticket counters and no help from AA for transportation or hotels. The pilot reportedly took it upon himself to finally taxi to a gate so passengers could deplane.

http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/123006dntswstranded.331dc32.html

Holy cow! I'd be ready to go after 'em for false imprisonment!

I suspect, more than anything else, that the cxld it because they had way too many aircraft stuck at DFW already, and wanted to leave the outstation aircraft where it was for the next day.

That plus the fact that there were probably no gates available anyway.

Anyway, AA could not be bothered to actually (1) make useful announcements,

That is one thing that really irritates me. Since I am an "insider" I can tell when the gate agents are blowing smoke. I don't know if they do it on purpose, or if that is the information they are given from the Zone Controllers, but I HATE being lied to. And I can usually tell.

Just tell the truth. People will be happier in the long run.

At check in, it seems that the AA rep had not quite finished her job, and the tickets were reserved but not purchased. Fortunately, the UAL counter rep, may his shadow never decrease, quickly rectified the sitch on the phone and we were checked in.

Kudos to the home team. :yes:

The flight, also, left almost on-time and, despite being flown in a cheese-eating-surrender-monkey-jet, was quite comfortable.

What the heck is that, Spike? Airbus? Boeing can take a FEW lessons from Airbus. I think the Airbus is a much more comfortable people airplane than the 737.

Greg's airline did alright by me

Thank you. :)

(Captain said "with you" on each call-up, and the controllers did not seem to mind).

Yawn. Such a NON ISSUE.

"Time to spare, go by air; more time yet, go by jet."

A lot of truth to that.

Glad you had a nice trip, over all, Spike.

article said:
He said three other planes were also grounded because all the gates at Bergstrom were full. Slides, he said, can be used only for emergencies, and the Transportation Safety Administration has strict guidelines about the use of stairs.
I don't pretend to know anything about airline operations or the assignment of gates, but how can the gates be full for 12 hours at someplace like Austin? If there were empty planes sitting at the gates they could have pushed one back for a few minutes to deplane the people who were stuck.

And what is the heartache over using stairs? I've gotten on and off planes using stairs a couple times in the past few years. Of course those were RJs. Maybe they didn't have stairs big enough and were trying to put the blame on the TSA. I don't think the article mentioned what kind of plane it was.

On what grounds? :mad:

Sorry, those kinds of statements just irritate the hell out of me.

Sorry Greg... But if you trap me on an airplane for 12 hours (when I only expected to be on it for two anyway - I bet you're on an airplane for 12 hours routinely!), and won't let me off (I probably would have just stayed off and gotten a rental car at that point)... Well, that just ain't right to not let people off. If they can't get off, the airline had darn well better call the catering truck and at least feed people.

No gate? Use the stairs (and what the heck is TSA's problem with that???).

FWIW, I don't blame the pilots at all. They were in the same predicament as everyone else. This one is yet another sad story of inept management.

That is one thing that really irritates me. Since I am an "insider" I can tell when the gate agents are blowing smoke. I don't know if they do it on purpose, or if that is the information they are given from the Zone Controllers, but I HATE being lied to. And I can usually tell.

...and in this instance, all they said was, "flights cancelled" (all three for DFW remaining), and nothing else... nothing at all, and no service agents doing anything special to deal with the cancellation of all flights to their dominant hub. This has happened to me twice with AA, and I fear it may be systemic, as I have seen crisis management at other carriers much better handled.

Kudos to the home team. :yes:

Yes, indeed, along with very nice in-plane service. And, of course, Channel Nine for the airplane geeks (the Cpt pointed it out as an available channel).

What the heck is that, Spike? Airbus? Boeing can take a FEW lessons from Airbus. I think the Airbus is a much more comfortable people airplane than the 737.

Greg, I was poking fun at the whole "controversy," not at the planes; Airbus did not grow from essentially nothing, to essential parity in the airliner game, by being idiots or building crap. FWIW, I saw no material difference in the passenger experience, other than the extra seat space in E+, but that's a United thing, not an Airbus thing.

For that matter, I once flew on a Caravelle which, despite being very old and tired at the time, still represented what I think to be perhaps the prettiest jetliner ever built, and it seemed not to fall from the sky, either.

I still prefer the pilot-dominant design philosophy for Boeing's fly-by-wire system (as I understand it), but also know that there are compelling arguments for Airbus' way of doing it, and you can't really fault their safety record, can you?

BTW, the FA, when Tommy said what drink he wanted without even bothering to look up at her (Game Boy playing in progress), said, "Hey! I'm up here!" High-fives from Celia and me, for well-placed feistiness.

Thank you. :)

You're most welcome; I'll make a special effort to "Fly the Friendly Skies" in the future (though, from DFW, it ain't easy!).

Be safe!

And what is the heartache over using stairs?

Beats me. I've gotten off 747s using stairs at more than one airport (NRT and FRA come to mind).

Oh, and Greg, your 777s across the Pacific are much more comfortable in E+ than your 747s. I make sure to get an outer aisle seat. SEA to NRT to TPE and back. Good tailwind from NRT to SEA on the 20th. 1P member here.

Hey Spike,

Take all that and add to it the airline dropping you off 200 miles from your ticketed destination at midnight with no way to get home and a "good luck" wish from the gate agent. Oh, and a soccer team of under-age girls on the flight. I will forever hate US Airways.

Every now and again a situation will come up where I absolutely must fly the airlines, but I try like hell not to. Every single trip I take on a commercial flight turns into a nightmare. I've been known to make a 30 hour round trip drive rather than get on a commercial flight.

ps. Did you rent a Ferrari while you were in SF? :D

Every now and again a situation will come up where I absolutely must fly the airlines, but I try like hell not to. Every single trip I take on a commercial flight turns into a nightmare. I've been known to make a 30 hour round trip drive rather than get on a commercial flight.

It's funny, because I could not help calculating when I would have gotten home (even considering the weather), had I been able to fly us in something like an A36. Commercial flying is most repugnant, due almost entirely to reasons beyond the control of the air carriers.

ps. Did you rent a Ferrari while you were in SF? :D

Nope, but we did have a Malibu Max for one day- not a bad car.

Spike,

Welcome to the wonderful world of commercial air travel. :rolleyes:

As I was putting my shoes back on at the checkpoint at DCA this morning, I watched the TSA goon doing an SSSS inspection on a hapless passenger. The TSA was rifling through the guy's wallet looking at each piece of paper. If that's the new standard, it is, IMHO, going way, way too far.

Glad you had a good trip anyway, and an extra day in San Fran!

Spike,

Welcome to the wonderful world of commercial air travel. :rolleyes:

As I was putting my shoes back on at the checkpoint at DCA this morning, I watched the TSA goon doing an SSSS inspection on a hapless passenger. The TSA was rifling through the guy's wallet looking at each piece of paper. If that's the new standard, it is, IMHO, going way, way too far.

Glad you had a good trip anyway, and an extra day in San Fran!

I'll tellin' ya. After hearing da goof in Ontario, CA do a commentary, the TSA job has become the new preferred position for voyeurs.

This will be the story of 2011. They don't let kiddie chasers work in schools. They need to screen for these guys.

I'll tellin' ya. After hearing da goof in Ontario, CA do a commentary, the TSA job has become the new preferred position for voyeurs.

This will be the story of 2011. They don't let kiddie chasers work in schools. They need to screen for these guys.

Ya.

As I was sitting at MCI today between planes I heard the following announcement: "Will the person that picked up the wrong money clip at the security checkpoint please return to get the correct one".

That MIGHT work at KC. At most big cities, the person would be counting the cash to see if the one that he/she mistakenly picked up had more money....

No gate? Use the stairs (and what the heck is TSA's problem with that???).
Letting unauthorized people in the ramp security area. Same problem you face in GA with wandering down the ramp to the 121 gates. Some teenager with a rifle will visit you, thinking this is his chance for a promotion!

-Skip

BTW, the FA, when Tommy said what drink he wanted without even bothering to look up at her (Game Boy playing in progress), said, "Hey! I'm up here!" High-fives from Celia and me, for well-placed feistiness.

Hehe... Those FA's are great. I rather enjoyed the latest episode of Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase. Long story short, one pax was taking forever with his meal. Several FA's asked if he was done. Finally he blew up and said "Turkeys are done. PEOPLE are FINISHED." To which the FA replied, "Well, are ya done, turkey?" :rofl:

Back