Weight and Balance Apps?

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
Who's using what out there?

The free android app that I'm trying, I'm not liking it very much. :nonod:

It won't let me create my own specific envelope and save it ....

I use iFlightPlanner.com which has a built-in W&B that can be quickly done for each flight planned.

I also have a W&B calc inside my Garmin 796 GPS.

A bathroom scale. I'm flying mainly trikes these days. Only total weight matters on a trike.

When it does matter, a pencil.

-Rich

fltplan.com has a great weight & balance page/app. I originally started using it because it includes W&B for a C172N with 180 hp conversion which I fly. You can easily visually see how fuel burn affects W&B over the course of the flight which is only good.

Who's using what out there?

The free android app that I'm trying, I'm not liking it very much. :nonod:

It won't let me create my own specific envelope and save it ....

Our own Jesse has an app for some platform or other that is pretty good.

Here

I also use the one Ron references. Really like it.

I use this one on my iPad -- after seeing about half my trainees using it on theirs. Dunno if there's an Android version or not.

No android version that I can find....

I went ahead and paid for appventive's W&B.

It has the best reviews for android. Now if I can just figure out the moments to put in the CG envelope, I'll be good to go.

Microsoft Excel is all you need.

eOB3ERW.png

This is the one I use. No longer supported but seems to work fine.

Pleasant and easy-to-use interface.

fltplan.com has a great weight & balance page/app. I originally started using it because it includes W&B for a C172N with 180 hp conversion which I fly. You can easily visually see how fuel burn affects W&B over the course of the flight which is only good.

Yep, the fltplan one is great (and free).

I use fltplan for my own plane when needed, unless I'm max gross with most of it in the back, like camping stuff + friends, otherwise for two folks up front if you can shut the doors you're fine ;)

For work, the aircraft manufactor has a sweet app for ipad.

Aviation W&B for iPhone and Pad

I think a Landing Calculator has that functionality built in to it.

I tried that one, but it wants your weight in kilograms and your fuel in liters. :nonod:

C'mon, you think folks on this board would put up with an app that only worked in metric units? No way, man--this is 'Murica!

From the main screen, hit the menu button, and pick the option that reads, "Change the system of units."

Check the settings and change to US units.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Apple definitely has more stuff it seems like. But I found one that's working for me.

I had to convert the data points because my POH only has the weight/moment graph.

60,000/1800=33.3
70,000/2100=33.3
107,000/2800=38.2
131,000/2800=46.7
85,000/1800=47.2

Enter the conversion's in this order, and you've got my C-180 CG envelope. :)

A python script takes 10 minutes or so to type...

# Flight variable - make changes here.

Pilot_Weight = 230
Pass_Weight = 230
Fuel_Gal = 16
Bag_Weight = 0

# fixed stuff - weights
mt_weight = 740
gross_weight = 1300
fuel_weight = Fuel_Gal * 6.25 #gasoline 6.25 lb/gal

useful_weight = gross_weight - mt_weight

# fixed stuff - moments. Enter only once.
seat_arm = 41
fuel_arm = 40.1875
bag_arm = 62
mt_moment = mt_weight*31.75
fwd_cg_arm = 30.225 # maximum forward CG
aft_cg_arm = 40.425 # maximum aft CG

#spin_line_cg = [36, 33.5]
#spin_line_wt = [739 1300]

# calculate weights and moments

Takeoff_Weight = mt_weight + Pilot_Weight + Pass_Weight + fuel_weight + Bag_Weight
print('Takeoff Weight = ',Takeoff_Weight,' pounds' )

if Takeoff_Weight > gross_weight: # oops, too much
Over_Weight = Takeoff_Weight - gross_weight
print('Excess Weight = ',Over_Weight,' pounds' )

tmp = gross_weight - (mt_weight + Pilot_Weight + Pass_Weight + Bag_Weight)
Max_Fuel_Gal = tmp/6.25
print('Max Fuel Load = ',Max_Fuel_Gal,' gallons')
else:
Weight_Reserve = gross_weight - Takeoff_Weight
print('Weight Reserve = ',Weight_Reserve,' pounds')

Nofuel_Weight = (mt_weight + Pilot_Weight + Pass_Weight + Bag_Weight)

Seat_Moment = seat_arm * (Pilot_Weight + Pass_Weight)
Fuel_Moment = fuel_arm * fuel_weight
Bag_Moment = bag_arm * Bag_Weight

Takeoff_Cg = (mt_moment + Seat_Moment + Fuel_Moment + Bag_Moment)/Takeoff_Weight
Nofuel_Cg = (mt_moment + Seat_Moment+ Bag_Moment)/Nofuel_Weight

if Takeoff_Cg < fwd_cg_arm or Nofuel_Cg < fwd_cg_arm:
print("ERROR!! Cg beyond forward limit = ",fwd_cg_arm)
elif Takeoff_Cg > aft_cg_arm or Nofuel_Cg > aft_cg_arm:
print("ERROR!! Cg beyond aft limit = ",aft_cg_arm)
else:
print("Cg between limits of ",fwd_cg_arm," and ",aft_cg_arm)

print ("Cg at takeoff = ",Takeoff_Cg,", no fuel Cg = ",Nofuel_Cg)
input("Press Enter to end the program.")

That looks very thourough.

I have my app up and running, and so far, we're right under gross and well within CG range.

There's a neat function on mine where after you load the plane, you can hit 'fuel for trip' and it will automatically give you the max fuel you can carry to keep you under gross if you're loaded over the limit.

I have Jesse's and it works well...for the once every two or three years or so when I actually do a W&B calc.

I have Jesse's and it works well...for the once every two or three years or so when I actually do a W&B calc.

No doubt.

When I bought our 180, the old owner said "if you can shut the doors, it'll fly with it."

But in the interest of safety, I'm doing one for our trip to OSH. I'm not worried about a hundred pounds over gross at take off, .... I'm worried about five or eight hundred.... and the C.G. :redface:

I know this is necro-posting, but I used to use this app and it was good. I finally updated to a new iPad and the latest iOS, so this app is now dead.

Is there a current one that is similar? I'm kind of striking out in the Apple App store.

I know this is necro-posting, but I used to use this app and it was good. I finally updated to a new iPad and the latest iOS, so this app is now dead.

Is there a current one that is similar? I'm kind of striking out in the Apple App store.
I suspect at this point most are using weight and balance calculators bundled into their EFBs and we are unlikely to see a stand-alone.

i still mostly use the spreadsheets I worked on before the iPad existed.

My ASA CX3 has memory and it retains data. The W&B function is pretty easy to use.

ETA - there is a free online version you can use to see if it will work for you.

Was this thread started before Foreflight was around? Doesn’t every EFB have a W&B feature? I’m only familiar with FF but it does everything I need re: W&B.

Was this thread started before Foreflight was around? Doesn’t every EFB have a W&B feature? I’m only familiar with FF but it does everything I need re: W&B.
Yes, Foreflight has a weight and balance feature, but apparently I have to pay extra to use it. I'm hoping to find a nice app and just pay once, not every year.

Yes, Foreflight has a weight and balance feature, but apparently I have to pay extra to use it. I'm hoping to find a nice app and just pay once, not every year.
I have access to it at the basic level, the $99 per year package. Is that what you mean by pay extra?

Back