We'be heard of the old truck gun, what about plane gun?

Rebel Lord

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Lord
So I'm putting together a survival kit for my future airplane. I'm looking at cheap lightweight survival rifles my money is on the Chiapas's little badger. My local gunstoere sells them at a modest 170$ it's a pretty cool little gun with a threaded barrel so I can put a can on if I wanted. I want my whole survival kit to fit into a small backpack for easy us and access so the little badger would definitely work. Thoughts?

IMG_0054.JPG

I'm also thinking about the cz 527, 7.62x39 carbine. Same round as my AK so ammo is ample.

It's 37 inchs and weighs less than 6 pounds so it's still a little paackage with enough punch to drop anything in North America.
IMG_0055.JPG

Personally I'd want something that was a rifle caliber over a shotgun.

Get a Savage 24 over/under in 223/12 ga or 22/20. You'll have to get it used but it is worth it. It takes down to three parts and if you are handy with a drill press you can make an ammo storage compartment in the stock.

I am a huge CZ fan, so the CZ would be my choice. I might opt for 527 in .223 however since they changed the barrel twist to 1/9 from 1/12. It allows heavier bullets now. The 7.62x39 is also a good round as you state. Probably better for larger game. Many compare it to the .30-30 round in performance.

I am a huge CZ fan, so the CZ would be my choice. I might opt for 527 in .223 however since they changed the barrel twist to 1/9 from 1/12. It allows heavier bullets now. The 7.62x39 is also a good round as you state. Probably better for larger game. Many compare it to the .30-30 round in performance.

I'm a huge 7.62x39 fanboy. Pretty much all my guns are Russian pattern.

Including my prized possession of 7.62x54r glory
IMG_9538.JPG

I'm a huge 7.62x39 fanboy. Pretty much all my guns are Russian pattern.

Well, I have been know to have a few Russian SKS's, Makarovs from several different countries, and an M44 Carbine that lights up the range with its muzzle blast. :)

I flew with the venerable M6 during my years in the Air Force.
Plus 2 Model 1911 Colts and a couple of knives.
Too many John Wayne movies as a kid.

Well, I have been know to have a few Russian SKS's, Makarovs from several different countries, and an M44 Carbine that lights up the range with its muzzle blast. :)

Same here ;) but mostly because I'm poor

I think for practical purposes .22LR is a better survival weapon. In survival mode you're engaging small game, and you can pack a lot more ammo. I wouldn't rule out a scoped Ruger .22 MkIII pistol. In any case you can pack something a little more substantial than the Badger. Maybe a stainless Ruger 10/22.

I'd go with a Beretta CX-4 storm carbine chambered in the same round you use for your pistol. Only one type of round to pack/carry.

I'd go with a Beretta CX-4 storm carbine chambered in the same round you use for your pistol. Only one type of round to pack/carry.

I'm not old enough for pistols yet :( 3 months to go.

Edit: also if I were going to get a pistol carbine it would be a Keltec sub-2000 9mm to take Glock mags. Because the sub-2000 folds in half

I think for practical purposes .22LR is a better survival weapon. In survival mode you're engaging small game, and you can pack a lot more ammo. I wouldn't rule out a scoped Ruger .22 MkIII pistol. In any case you can pack something a little more substantial than the Badger. Maybe a stainless Ruger 10/22.

I would lean towards .22 also. Ruger makes a takedown version of the 10/22 that comes with a carrying case I believe. Be familiar with the firearm laws of each state where you land, or fly over.

I would lean towards .22 also. Ruger makes a takedown version of the 10/22 that comes with a carrying case I believe. Be familiar with the firearm laws of each state where you land, or fly over.
That's why the little badger would be the best for laws. I mean it's a break action 22 for heaven sakes

My family had an Armalite Ar-7 as part of our survival gear in our family airplane for decades.

I have an Ithaca 37 12ga just for this purpose.

I'm a big fan of the 12ga because it's a lot like a multi-tool, I have flare rounds for SAR, can shoot small game with bird shot and Target load and can defend myself from bears with slugs. There's a whole host of shells that can be helpful in a survival situation.

Can only shoot one thing out of a rifle.

I believe @James331 carries a Mossberg Mariner.

Where are you going to be operating?

I'd go with a Remington Marine Magnum 12G, staggered 00 and slugs

Speed feed rear stock with bird shot on one side, 12g Orion flares on the other side.

Keep it in a floating soft shell case.

Basically this
3515423_01_remington_870_marine_magnum_wi_640.jpg

http://www.armslist.com/posts/35154...num-with-speedfeed-stock-and-surefire-light--

So I'm putting together a survival kit for my future airplane. I'm looking at cheap lightweight survival rifles my money is on the Chiapas's little badger. My local gunstoere sells them at a modest 170$ it's a pretty cool little gun with a threaded barrel so I can put a can on if I wanted. I want my whole survival kit to fit into a small backpack for easy us and access so the little badger would definitely work. Thoughts?

View attachment 53635

That is a pretty cool gun right there. I don't usually let my Springfield XDS .45 get far from me but that wouldn't be the best for hunting. I think for me an AR-15 would be my go to in this situation, lightweight, easy to break down and work on.

Also, your signature at the bottom of your posts is hilarious.

Last edited:

I'm a big fan of the 12ga because it's a lot like a multi-tool, I have flare rounds for SAR, can shoot small game with bird shot and Target load and can defend myself from bears with slugs. There's a whole host of shells that can be helpful in a survival situation.

That is actually a really wise choice, and all good points.

That is a pretty cool gun right there. I don't usually let my Springfield XDS .45 get far from me but that wouldn't be the best for hunting. I think for me an AR-15 would be my go to in this situation, lightweight, easy to break down and work on.

Also, your signature at the bottom of your posts is hilarious.

lol yeah I want to get the tee shirt with that. "This will get me laid at Oshkosh for sure!"
IMG_9698.PNG

for those using flares in regular shotguns, what flares did you buy? the internetz say they are too long to chamber, so I assume you found some in the standard 2 3/4 or 3" lengths?

I was also talking about a shotgun chambered in 12G magnum

thanks to you both. when i buy, i might have to tuck a 12GA behind a panel with some of these in the toolbox

To the OP, it's going to depend upon the terrain you fly over and the intended purpose of the having the firearm. Since you've mentioned survival kit, I would say that if you're flying over desert, plains or light forest, the suggested .22LR is a good way to go. Plenty light enough to carry lots of ammo, and it's the right size to pick off birds and ground animals for food. The take-down version of the Ruger 10/22 is a great choice.

If flying over mountains where there might be bears, I'm either taking something that shoots 30-06, .308, 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R. Possibly .223/.556. Or I'm bringing a .44 Magnum revolver.

For anything else, the Kel-Tec Sub2000 is an interesting choice. I am usually not keen on pistol calibers in rifles, but the ability to shoot 9mm or .40 (my 2nd choice behind the .45ACP is the .40) from a pistol or rifle that uses the same magazine is very convenient. Due to barrel length, the .40 leaves the barrel at 10mm velocities, which should be pretty effective on most predators (wolves, coyotes, etc.)

IMO, it's hard to beat a .22 magnum for an all around gun for most of the lower 48. Believe me, I LOVE larger caliber guns. Most of my favorites are some variant of .30 caliber, but in fairly experienced hands, the ol' .22 mag can take down deer and smaller game, and won't completely obliterate small game like a larger caliber would. .22LR can do the same, but your chances of taking a bigger animal go down compared to the mag. If you're gonna be in bear country, I'd go bigger. In that case, I'd go with my trusty Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 personally, but I reckon most of the 30 cals would also work. Pick your poison, they'll all kill most critters if you can shoot straight.

Certainly those are good points and I think a lot of it depends on your survival scenario. Yours involves bears and flares. Mine actually involves...

A credit card and a cell phone, and not necessarily in that order. If I felt compelled to carry a firearm for survival purposes, not counting personal defense, I would expect that I would be living in the wild for an extended period of time where portability is a key factor.

By the way, an M16A1 rifle, blank rounds, and spare cleaning rod sections make a kickass impalement system for snagging bunny rabbits. Campfire hasenpfeffer a la starving GI in the field who ran out of MRE's is not half bad fare.

I dunno guys, there are certainly some interesting ideas listed on this thread. But when someone asks about a plane gun, I'm thinking this:

a-10-thunderbolt-ii-02.jpg

:)

Those have helped end a few arguments between US ground troops and opposing forces.

Edit: also if I were going to get a pistol carbine it would be a Keltec sub-2000 9mm to take Glock mags. Because the sub-2000 folds in half

Beat me to it (on both fronts). The Sub2000 is a nice compact little gun. Fits in the saddlebag of my Harley.

The AR-7 is a popular airplane survival rifle, it's cheap and it floats when disassembled and stored inside its stock, but it's really a junky gun. The Marlin Papoose is much better made, you can put a scope on it, it's available in stainless and it too floats (if stored inside its soft case with the styrofoam insert).

marlin-papoose-case-open.jpg

The Ithaca 37 is also a great gun, it's my primary gun for deer hunting with the slug barrel, also takedown, but a lot heavier, and you can carry an awful lot more .22 ammo than 12 gauge shells.

View attachment 53635
I've got the Chiappa, and it's not a bad gun, for what it is (and what you pay). I even sometimes take it flying with me. BUT, its a plinker, not really a survival gun. Put it this way: I wouldn't want to depend my life on it.

Get a Savage 24 over/under in 223/12 ga or 22/20. You'll have to get it used but it is worth it. It takes down to three parts and if you are handy with a drill press you can make an ammo storage compartment in the stock.

Much better choice, or even just a single shot shotgun like the Savage single shot 219. The 219 is very light/small/cheap, comes in many different gauges/calibers, and you could carry shells that could shoot anything from birds/small game (bird shot), up to all North American large game (slugs or buck).

I have a Sub2000 too...now this is a nice, compact carbine. You can fit it, and 120+ rounds .40cal in mags in a briefcase, if you are so inclined. And those .40cal come out at rifle speeds (mine chronographs at about 1800 fps with 180 grain bullets). The only surprise for me with the sub2000 is that it has recoil equal to about a 20 gauge shotgun. I wouldn't have expected that from a pistol round, even at 1800 fps.

Last edited:
The AR-7 is a popular airplane survival rifle, it's cheap and it floats when disassembled and stored inside its stock, but it's really a junky gun. The Marlin Papoose is much better made, you can put a scope on it, it's available in stainless and it too floats (if stored inside its soft case with the styrofoam insert).

marlin-papoose-case-open.jpg

The Ithaca 37 is also a great gun, it's my primary gun for deer hunting with the slug barrel, also takedown, but a lot heavier, and you can carry an awful lot more .22 ammo than 12 gauge shells.

Love Marlins. My first rifle was a 49 DL.

I'd carry my CZ P-09 or my Remington 700. The Taurus Raging Hornet is a cool small caliber scoped pistol.

Back