Web Board Traffic

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Is it my imagination, or has traffic on this site dropped rather dramatically in the last week or so?

Actually we had a substantial (and predictable) decline in traffic when the AOPA forums reopened. We went from around 350 posts per day to around 150 posts per day, which is about where we were before AOPA closed down.

We've been pretty consistently between 100-200 posts daily since then.

It's been a bit painful, but we're still seeing new members join us on a daily basis, so while we've taken "a hit" if you will, we're still growing overall, we just had an inflation of activity during AOPA's absence from the forum scene. :)

I am lacking a little because school is back in session!! I started yesterday and i am still trying to get everyting under control.

Rudy said:
I am lacking a little because school is back in session!! I started yesterday and i am still trying to get everyting under control.
Well, type faster, for crying out loud! We're WAITING!!! :p

Greg Bockelman said:
Is it my imagination, or has traffic on this site dropped rather dramatically in the last week or so?
Richard has been on vacation, so that's one frequent poster who was absent. :)

Brian Austin said:
Well, type faster, for crying out loud! We're WAITING!!! :p
Haha, everything should be smoothed out after this week, and then i will be around more

Rudy said:
Hey Rudy, I was hoping you'd post about your ride in Terry's CJ-6A.

Sorry!
I have ta disappear every once in awhile. Can't e-mail while in the air, and I was back in the dark ages in San Diego. Old computer and very slow modum.

Dave

Greebo said:
Actually we had a substantial (and predictable) decline in traffic when the AOPA forums reopened. We went from around 350 posts per day to around 150 posts per day, which is about where we were before AOPA closed down.
If the fighting over there doesn't simmer down they may all be back here soon.

I was away for most of a week, between some school then hauling the in-laws car from DEN to Pennsylvania. I'm back. The "fighting" over there certainly seems likely to bring some people back here. Not sure parts of the new AOPA board will be up for long.

It is so nice and peaceful here. And pilots actually talk about flying.

Jim G

grattonja said:
It is so nice and peaceful here. And pilots actually talk about flying.

More importantly we can talk about anything and not have it turn into a flame war!

S.

sshekels said:
More importantly we can talk about anything and not have it turn into a flame war!

S.

Agreed. I don't mind lively conversation. I even don't mind the occasional bit of "ego vs. ego". It's the flame wars that can turn any website into a really unpleasant place to visit. Fast. Glad POA has rules and enforcement. Not that there seems to have been much need for enforcement.

I think traffic here will pick up again. Just a feeling...

Jim G

and I have these pesky little deadlines croppinng up all over the place. Sorry. I'll be more conversant later!!

As with others, "things" can get in the way of on-line timing. I was in NYC for a weekend, meeting with a bunch of photography people; had the opportunity to play with the Canon
EOS-1ds digital body and a bunch of pricey lenses, as well as other high-end stuff. Sheesh; for the price of the Canon and a couple of upscale lenses I could put a very respectable panel in my thrifty 150. Also, Her Majesty(the former) is in Maine for about six weeks, so there's been some other diversions. Not to mention I've taken on another home business: Booking Agent for a singer/songwriter(w/or without his sidemen) who's appeared coast to coast in everything from coffee houses to clubs over the last 25 years. He got tired of doing it and asked if I'd be interested. Why not, for 20% of the gig rate?

Battles sure are beginning to brew anew on another website, eh?

HR

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
... had the opportunity to play with the Canon
EOS-1ds digital body and a bunch of pricey lenses, as well as other high-end stuff. Sheesh; for the price of the Canon and a couple of upscale lenses I could put a very respectable panel in my thrifty 150. ...

HR

You talking about the new 1dsII? How was it? Did they have the new 5D there? I myself just bought another body (D30) to go with my 20D. Can't wait to try out the new/used equipment.

Iceman said:
You talking about the new 1dsII? How was it? Did they have the new 5D there? I myself just bought another body (D30) to go with my 20D. Can't wait to try out the new/used equipment.
The 5D looks interesting but the 1dsII is too big for me. That camera is HEAVY, especially with a 100-400 or 70-200 on it.

Canon surprised a few folks going to full frame sensor while still developing EF-S lenses. Wonder if they're going to eventually go full frame on everything? I was considering the 10-22 EF-S but now I'm wondering if that's a bad move if I upgrade my 20D to something better (like the 5D) later.

And what's the deal with a Canon EOS 5D and the Minolta Maxxum 5D now? Couldn't Canon have picked a better name?

Greebo said:
Actually we had a substantial (and predictable) decline in traffic when the AOPA forums reopened. We went from around 350 posts per day to around 150 posts per day, which is about where we were before AOPA closed down. :)

There may be less posts but the quality of the posts is still high. I'll take quality over quanity any day. Keep on typing "Good Stuff" :yes:

Barb

Iceman said:

Yeah; it was the EOS-1Ds Mark II. It surely gives new meaning to sturdy construction but the trade-off is its weight factor, though it still feels well-balanced in the hands. If one is into action photos it can shoot a lot of full-frames in a short time. It's a winner but how many will sell at the big buckos?

HR

Lawreston said:
Yeah; it was the EOS-1Ds Mark II. It surely gives new meaning to sturdy construction but the trade-off is its weight factor, though it still feels well-balanced in the hands. If one is into action photos it can shoot a lot of full-frames in a short time. It's a winner but how many will sell at the big buckos?

HR
At 3fps on the MkII, most pros are leaning toward the 20D with its 5fps. Full frame vs APS-C sensors aren't that much different at most magazine and newspaper resolutions for sports photos.

Sorry for continuing to divert from the thread topic but I'm adding to the post count :).
Brian Austin said:
Canon surprised a few folks going to full frame sensor while still developing EF-S lenses. Wonder if they're going to eventually go full frame on everything? I was considering the 10-22 EF-S but now I'm wondering if that's a bad move if I upgrade my 20D to something better (like the 5D) later.

I've been thinking the same thing for the past few days... I really need a wide lens ~24 true mm and I can't decide if I want to buy a EF-S lens right now. I also feel a hard year coming up on the value of my 20D (my guess is it will drop from ~1100 to 750-800). I'm wondering if I should dump my 20 after I complete a few large projects I'm working on and limp along for the next year with the D30. I have a feeling that in a year the 1DmII will be going for around 2g's (or less hopefully) and the 5D/1Ds will be around 2.3.

Greebo said:
We've been pretty consistently between 100-200 posts daily since then.

Odd. I count slightly fewer than 50 messages in the last 24 hours. Maybe my math is wrong?

Brian Austin said:
At 3fps on the MkII, most pros are leaning toward the 20D with its 5fps. Full frame vs APS-C sensors aren't that much different at most magazine and newspaper resolutions for sports photos.

Brian, most pros for newspapers/sports are using the 1D/1DmII (8fps) just because they like to look professional (I think all of us gearheads want that look).

Ryan Ferguson said:
Odd. I count slightly fewer than 50 messages in the last 24 hours. Maybe my math is wrong?
As I said - PRETTY consistently. Although actually, yes, your math is also wrong...

August 01, 2005 204
August 02, 2005 167
August 03, 2005 198
August 04, 2005 245
August 05, 2005 174
August 06, 2005 79
August 07, 2005 126
August 08, 2005 138
August 09, 2005 242
August 10, 2005 191
August 11, 2005 135
August 12, 2005 119
August 13, 2005 84
August 14, 2005 137
August 15, 2005 219
August 16, 2005 168
August 17, 2005 192
August 18, 2005 209
August 19, 2005 167
August 20, 2005 103
August 21, 2005 120
August 22, 2005 150
August 23, 2005 175

Those are the stats for the current month up to and including yesterday. That includes *ALL* forums, including those the usual users can't see, but there aren't more than 5 posts a day in those forums (they're administrative in nature and 5 posts a day there is unusually high).

Like I said... pretty consistently. :)

I've recently assumed responsibility for a new department that failed their most recent internal audit. I've got three months to revamp the entire department, personnel & policies, before the follow up audit so my time on the internet is quite limited.

I have posted occasionally on AOPA but I still prefer the civil atmosphere on this board by far. Based on the latest happenings there I anticipate major changes in that board.

Well, I for one will be here FAR more than at the "Brand A" site. The bickering at the soapbox level has turned nastier and more personal than ever. This group of posters has consistently proven that it can discuss non-aviation topics without rancor. If I really need a fight I can just mention religion to my Father-in Law.:no:

I may check in over there on occasion to check the health of the patient, and to read mechanics bench which is my favorite, but otherwise I'll see you all here.

Iceman said:
I've been thinking the same thing for the past few days... I really need a wide lens ~24 true mm and I can't decide if I want to buy a EF-S lens right now. I also feel a hard year coming up on the value of my 20D (my guess is it will drop from ~1100 to 750-800). I'm wondering if I should dump my 20 after I complete a few large projects I'm working on and limp along for the next year with the D30. I have a feeling that in a year the 1DmII will be going for around 2g's (or less hopefully) and the 5D/1Ds will be around 2.3.
Going with non-EF-S lenses seems like a smart move at the moment. The 5D is way up there in cost, though ($3200USD body only) so I don't see it replacing the 20D. With the big difference in 20D to 5D cost, I don't see the 20D's value coming down either.

Now if Canon releases another APS-C sensor camera to replace the 20D, all bets are off. ;)

Iceman said:
Brian, most pros for newspapers/sports are using the 1D/1DmII (8fps) just because they like to look professional (I think all of us gearheads want that look).
That's silly. I thought the 1DmII switched from ff to smaller sensor size to get the 8fps. Otherwise it's 3fps.

I'd rather have (2) 20D's plus the lenses for the cost of one of those bodies.

And to add MORE confusion to the mix, the 1DmIIn is now out, with its APS-C sensor! Basically, a 20D in a 1DmII body with bigger memory cache (48 shot bursts!!). Zowie!

Brian Austin said:
That's silly. I thought the 1DmII switched from ff to smaller sensor size to get the 8fps. Otherwise it's 3fps.

I'd rather have (2) 20D's plus the lenses for the cost of one of those bodies.

And to add MORE confusion to the mix, the 1DmIIn is now out, with its APS-C sensor! Basically, a 20D in a 1DmII body with bigger memory cache (48 shot bursts!!). Zowie!

Just to help with the confusion a little...canon has 4 series

Rebel, rebel xt - 1.6 crop plastic consumer cameras
d30, d60, 10d, 20d - 1.6 crop prosumer cameras
1d, 1dmII, 1dmIIn - 1.3 crop 8fps procameras for sports etc
1ds, 1dsmII - full frame cameras high res cameras that have a smaller buffer and slower fps.

The sensor is larger on the 1d than the 20d even though it has less resolution.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:
Going with non-EF-S lenses seems like a smart move at the moment. The 5D is way up there in cost, though ($3200USD body only) so I don't see it replacing the 20D. With the big difference in 20D to 5D cost, I don't see the 20D's value coming down either.

Now if Canon releases another APS-C sensor camera to replace the 20D, all bets are off. ;)

Good point. My hope is with the high iso ability of the 5D it will hurt the resale of the 1Ds so they both sell for the same amount. Than I expect Dell to offer a 20% off coupon on the 5D like they always do. This might drive the resale of the 1Ds to ~2500. The 1DmII always sells for a few hundred less than the 1Ds... Also I'm guessing that next spring they will announce a new 20d that will have a larger LCD etc.

Oh man I'm getting confused myself...

Keith Lane said:
If I really need a fight I can just mention religion to my Father-in Law.:no:
Once upon a time that and politics were off limits with my dad. Over the years we have agreed to disagree about religion (and we stay AWAY from that topic) and in politics we have both softened our positions somewhat. Although I still think I'm right and he's wrong.

Ken Ibold said:
Once upon a time that and politics were off limits with my dad. Over the years we have agreed to disagree about religion (and we stay AWAY from that topic) and in politics we have both softened our positions somewhat. Although I still think I'm right and he's wrong.

I've been married to my Father in Law's daughter 20 years next month, and we have agreed not to speak of his chosen religion over the last 19 of those years. My wife disassociated herself from their church as well.
When we first met, (1982) me, being from the Deep South and he from waaaay upstate New York, he very wrongly assumed I held very preducial beliefs with regards to race. I distinctly recall telling him where I stood on that, and that having traveled extensively in his "neck of the woods" I found just as much, if not more racial intolerance there than here. As with your father,and his positions stated in the quote above, my Father in Law has softened his views on the race matter. As well he should if he intends to live in Atlanta. We cannot, and will not ever agree on matters religious (or political for that matter). We do seem to get along better in the last 7 1/2 years or so. Ever since he got grandkids he can play with.:yes:

I plead guilty....I haven't been here much, although I do quick check-ins once a day. Between this site, the AOPA board, and the Cherokee board that I've been hanging out on for the past week and a half, I feel that I'm spread pretty thin.

I have always wished there were a way to increase new traffic to this site. I realize what a challenge that is. That is the main advantage the AOPA site has over this one. They also have the craziness and bickering I could do without.

jkaduk said:
I've discovered the wonder of the ignore user function over there. Makes it tolerable.

Me too! I wish there was an "ignore forum" function. It would make it easier for ignoring some of those complete threads in the New Post list.

Maybe theres just no interesting topics to type or reply about. ;)

I'm on spring break and in washington at a friends. Kinda hard to have PC access sometimes.

Back