Weather tech like mat for rear of plane?

tex_an

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tx_pilot
I would love to have a weather tech like floor mat that I could remove the back seats and put the mat in. Anyone have any recommendations?

The primary mission. I want to be able to put dog crates and if accidents happen contain any spillage.

Send Weather tech an e-mail describing what you want to do. They were very nice to work with (at their price they should be) and they will have ideas for you. They make lots of sizes and configurations for trunks and such. One might work well in that application. It probably won't meet FAA fire requirements, not sure that is a consideration for you.

The primary mission. I want to be able to put dog crates and if accidents happen contain any spillage.
There are a number of options. If you want it to fit like a weather tech you go route or want flame tests other direction, etc.

The simplest is measure out the area in Block form and have a local metal make you one out of thin galvanized similar to an home AC handler drain pan. Want it lighter use aluminum.

Want durable look to Kydex and heat form it to the area or put angles on the sides and seal it.

As to flame tests if it's not permanently installed can be considered loos equipment and doesn't need tests.

Going the conform route is more expensive but readily doable and all this work can be done by the owner.

An industrial tarp can be sewn into a "bathtub" type floor protector. We used to do it for packing dead animals to keep the blood out of the belly. You can also get kennel covers that would serve the purpose. Mine are Mud River brand.

I went to the carpet store and bought a large piece of scrap. I cut cardboard to fit as a template, then cut the carpet to fit.

You could do the same, then get a tarp or heavy duty plastic and use the same template for cutting waterproof underlayment.

Is flame resistance required for part 91 ops?
It's not a Part 91 issue but CAR3/Part 23 issue. It also depends if the materials are part of the TC installation or simply classified as loose equipment. The current standard is based on the Part 25 requirement regardless of type aircraft.

Any chance you could post your citation to this? Not having much luck on finding it myself.

Back