Weather sucks!

PilotAlan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PilotAlan
I've been on vacation since Saturday AM, and have not been able to get an hour of flight time in.
It's been either low ceilings, or high and gusty winds EVERY DAY since Friday.
I haven't been even able to get night current, due to low clouds or hard winds until after midnight.

Right at this second the winds are OK, but by the time I get to the airport and get the plane out, it'll be 14G24 on the ground (more above the ground). :rollercoaster:
Maybe tonight, but who knows.

It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, but I have to be at work. It's supposed to be better this weekend, but I'll be in Dallas. :mad2::incazzato:

Low ceilings? High and gusty winds? Sounds like fun! I'm in! :D

Low ceilings? High and gusty winds? Sounds like fun! I'm in! :D

Not in Alan's plane it's not. Icing up a PA-28 isn't fun at all. I did it in the 'kota and was able to climb out. I'm thinkin' the -180 might have had a bit of a problem...

Not in Alan's plane it's not. Icing up a PA-28 isn't fun at all. I did it in the 'kota and was able to climb out. I'm thinkin' the -180 might have had a bit of a problem...

Good point - those winds wouldn't bother me at all in a PA28, but I ain't messing with ice!

I've had a total of 15 min in the air since March 26. I understand meth addiction. I'm jonesin' for airtime!

Oh sure, you HAD to mention that, eh? Just checked the logs - last entry: 3/18/11 Flight Review 1.6 hrs

Been that way around Michigan too. Good thing the airplane remembers how to fly!

He didn't mention ice in his original post.

He didn't mention ice in his original post.

Low clouds around Denver in the spring frequently equal potential icing. I had about 1/4" build-up in less than two minutes on my second flight in IMC. Kept my attention focused, that's fer sure.

Low clouds around Denver in the spring frequently equal potential icing. I had about 1/4" build-up in less than two minutes on my second flight in IMC. Kept my attention focused, that's fer sure.
But not always.

Haven't flown in 3 weeks. I told my CFII he may have to reteach me how to even fly! Of course now the airplane is in for the annual so it'll be at least another week. <sigh> Jonesin' for some air!

Me too. I can't remember the last time I went up, it was awhile ago. Fist the annual, now wx. One of these days.

I've been hopin' for some actual IMC, but the ice has kept me on the ground. When it finally warms up enough to not worry about ice, we're gonna have thunderstorms.

If Colorado weren't so awesome, I'd hate it.

The winds haven't been too bad, though (well except for BJC).

We got some hail, then rain and then a freeze the other night. The lawn looked very strange in the morning.

Kinda looked like someone had laid bubble wrap everywhere.

We got some hail, then rain and then a freeze the other night. The lawn looked very strange in the morning.

Kinda looked like someone had laid bubble wrap everywhere.
First I thought it was sleet then snow then hail. Then it went back to snow.

5662315781_a348c36131.jpg

View out my front door...

The winds haven't been too bad, though (well except for BJC).

Earlier today, everywhere was 5-10 kts, except for FTG where it was 16g26 and45* off any runway. Normally BJC has the screwy winds, but lately it's been FTG.

There clearly was a gradient nearby, as the winds were significantly worse than DEN, just a few miles away.

Better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air.....

I haven't flown in about 49 hours...1.8 hours in the Debonair...most of it in actual. I promise you that I'm jonesin' as much as any of you!

Nothing since early February. Between too much business travel and working to get my medical back (hint - don't pass out on a flight due to eating something that didn't agree with you - I'm still working on getting my 3rd class back) I haven't seen a plane (other than as self loading cargo) in almost 3 months. :frown3:

Earlier today, everywhere was 5-10 kts, except for FTG where it was 16g26 and45* off any runway. Normally BJC has the screwy winds, but lately it's been FTG.

There clearly was a gradient nearby, as the winds were significantly worse than DEN, just a few miles away.

The Wednesday Lunch Bunch planned to fly to LaJunta (LHX). First plane was C170 with the comment "so much rudder and wing down I thought I was gonna tear the wing off!".

In air comment from the rest of the troupe (still in the air, about 5 min out), "Pueblo!". No appreciable winds at PUB.

My last flight was March 29 -- took a retired colleague to 3DA for lunch. Then the plane went down for annual. The rest is history. If I'm VERY lucky, I may get the new spar installed sometime this year. First I have to find somewhere willing to do it...

clouds below freezing temperatures frequently equal potential icing. I had about 1/4" build-up in less than two minutes on my second flight in IMC. Kept my attention focused, that's fer sure.

FTFY...

Colorado does have some nasty flying weather to deal with if you want to stick to pistons. My friend's RAM T310R is about as low on the capability scale as I'd want for being out there... and it's more capable than a 340-421.

So I just called the DPE to set up an appointment for my IR checkride (maybe a week from Sunday). He's based at BJC. Here's the current weather at BJC:

METAR KBJC 291945Z 27037G44KT 40SM SCT080 BKN120 BKN200 13/M05 A2946

It's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow, and I still need a few hours and a mock checkride. Arrghhhh!!!

I just got home from a meeting in Longmont. Darn near blew off the road on the way up at 2pm. The flagpoles were bowing at the client's office a few blocks south of LMO. Driving home at 5pm was significantly better ...only 25-30 knot gusts.

Yep. I will have had 10 days off work, with the one flyable day (yesterday) having to be in meetings all day.
This is killing me.

American Airlines to Dallas tomorrow, back Tuesday night, back to work Wednesday. Maybe I'll get night current Tuesday.....

I've been on vacation since Saturday AM, and have not been able to get an hour of flight time in.
It's been either low ceilings, or high and gusty winds EVERY DAY since Friday.
I haven't been even able to get night current, due to low clouds or hard winds until after midnight.

Right at this second the winds are OK, but by the time I get to the airport and get the plane out, it'll be 14G24 on the ground (more above the ground). :rollercoaster:
Maybe tonight, but who knows.

It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, but I have to be at work. It's supposed to be better this weekend, but I'll be in Dallas. :mad2::incazzato:

My instructor says I have the worst luck with weather. Clear all day, then a couple hours before I go, the sh*t come in. Low ceilings, 45kt pattern level windshear, et al.

So I just called the DPE to set up an appointment for my IR checkride (maybe a week from Sunday). He's based at BJC. Here's the current weather at BJC:

METAR KBJC 291945Z 27037G44KT 40SM SCT080 BKN120 BKN200 13/M05 A2946

It's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow, and I still need a few hours and a mock checkride. Arrghhhh!!!

Tell me about it! I went flying in this today.

KLNK 291754Z 16030G44KT 10SM CLR 24/06 A2958 RMK AO2 PK WND 17044/1747 :hairraise:

I was under the hood almost the entire flight. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...but it wasn't fun either. What am I saying? Flying is ALWAYS fun. :goofy:

Holy crap. By the book I'd only need another 6 knots to be airborne with the Robby kit. ;)

Even more "holy crap"...

The TAF for KAPA just went to Wind Variable at 5 and 12000 Sct, 20000 Bkn tomorrow at 9AM local.

Amazing. Might actually get a flight in tomorrow! ;) :D

Even more "holy crap"...

The TAF for KAPA just went to Wind Variable at 5 and 12000 Sct, 20000 Bkn tomorrow at 9AM local.

Amazing. Might actually get a flight in tomorrow! ;) :D
Don't run into us, we are departing around 1130... :)

Today was reasonably good for flying. There are times when the higher stall speeds of a Piper are a good thing. It was s bit bumpy at times but not too bad. Good crosswind practice at FTG this morning...

Tell me about it! I went flying in this today.

KLNK 291754Z 16030G44KT 10SM CLR 24/06 A2958 RMK AO2 PK WND 17044/1747 :hairraise:

I was under the hood almost the entire flight. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...but it wasn't fun either. What am I saying? Flying is ALWAYS fun. :goofy:

You know that you're sick when you go out in that and think it's way more fun than clear and a million. :D

Don't run into us, we are departing around 1130... :)

You'll be fine, you have one of them "control towers" to tell the pilots what to do. ;)

Check it out FTG is worse than BJC. That's rare!

KFTG 092223Z AUTO 22022G40KT 10SM CLR 27/M11 A2943 RMK AO2
KBJC 092150Z 18018G27KT 30SM FEW120 SCT200 27/M17 A2942

Edit: And here's what it is right next to my work:
KBKF 092155Z 20030G47KT 70SM FEW100 SCT200 26/M15 A2942 RMK SLP876

BJC was worse because I had the Dakota booked for 6-8pm. I slid to 8-10pm so BJC subsided a little in order to let FTG get some bragging rights. :D I just cancelled and rebooked for early tomorrow morning, so winds ought to fall off drastically any minute now, only to resume tomorrow morning.

Back