Weather Station Using PC Monitor

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by weirdjim, Aug 1, 2020.

1. weirdjim

weirdjim En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    I'm looking to replace my Acuwrong POS weather station with something a little better. Something that doesn't read 108F when the good mercury thermometer in the same place reads 88F.

Anyway, I can find tons of them that talk to your wireless network and then an app to use your smart iDevice or Android phont/pad to see the weather station, but none of them will let me use my wireless PC monitor (the desk one or the lappy) as the readout.

Anybody come across one that will talk to my Windoze machines?

Jim

2. kshaw

kshaw Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    KShaw
    If you have a ham license, take a look at using an APRS Weather Station. Hook up the sensors that you want. Data from the sensors are converted to data packets and transmitted on 144.39 VHF to the APRS Ham Network. Data on the network is shared with the internet and mapped for display on a map: https://www.aprsdirect.com/center/39.17230,-77.18300/zoom/11/time/60 If you do not have a license, just take a weekend off to study and take the test. It is fairly easy now that Morse Code knowledge is no longer required.

3. Spring Ford

Spring Ford Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SpringFord
    Surely you can get one that has a normal web interface?

Google [remote weather station web browser] seems to turn up a few. Take your pick.

4. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    You can always connect your phone to a monitor (the IPhone has a little dongle) or use an Android TV.

My TempestWx station gives me wind direction, rain amount (both without mechanical parts), temperature, humidity, and lightning detection. It can be accessed with an app, a web page, or by asking Alexa "Tell Wetherflow weather." Of course the latter results in silly things like "Wind at 320 at 1.2 mph gusting to 2.3 mph."

It does come with a user API. I'm thinking about turning the thing into a surreptitious AWOS for our field.

5. weirdjim

weirdjim En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    You did see my sig, yes? ARX WX6RST? And it is the old kind, where you had to do 20 wpm.

Thanks, but the APRS system isn't exactly what I'm looking for. That and I would have to delegate one of my 2m transceivers to the operation. I've got an old Wouxun I could use, but then I'd have to gin up another 12 volt power supply, hang another antenna on an already well populated farm...

73 es cul

Jim

6. Ghery

Ghery Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    So, what's wrong with getting another radio and hanging another antenna? :)

N6TPT

7. deonb

deonb Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    deonb
    I have a Tempest Weather Station as well. It's cool and all and I like the API, but it doesn't detect 95% of our rain - it's too light (Seattle). It needs to "hear" the rain on the top and you can't even hear most of our rain if you're in a tent directly in it.

Palmpilot likes this.
  8. Ghery

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    I've got a Davis weather monitor that uses a mechanical rain collector on the roof. 20+ years and it hasn't skipped a beat. Recorded the 0.01 inches we got overnight. This summer hasn't been at record dry levels, but it's close.

9. darrell

darrell Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    darrell
    I had an Acuwrong until a few days ago. It consistently read about 10 degrees (F) too high. I replaced it with an Ambient Weather WS-2902B in the same location and I'm getting much better results.

10. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cap'n Jack
    As an alternative, would you consider something that reads a web page and displays the data from your local airport? A long time ago, I once wrote something in Excel VBA that read the barometric pressure stored from ATIS data. I used it to see if the barometer was rising or falling. @jesse created a cool web page (I think it is gone, now) where he displayed a lot more.

The advantage was I didn't need to buy equipment, and someone else maintained it. The disadvantages were that the airport is some miles from me, and I'm dependent on someone else maintaining a web page I could access. For barometric pressure, it was close enough for my needs.

If you are interested, I'll see if I can find the spreadsheet, see if it still works, and post it.

11. weirdjim

weirdjim En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    Not the radio. I've got a half-dozen of them. Ginning up the 12 volt supply is a pain in the tush. And, for antennas, I'm getting just a LITTLE old in the tooth to climb up on a second-story roof four or five times a year to "just hang another antenna". The place looks like an agitated porcupine as it is. :cheers:

12. donjohnston

donjohnston Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Don
    I have an Ambient Weather setup. Works pretty good.

upload_2020-8-7_17-17-19.png

13. Ghery

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    I can understand the getting old stuff. And I brought my wife home from an overnight in the hospital on Wednesday after she had her right hip replaced on Tuesday. Already had an artificial one in the left. As her mother said years ago, getting older isn't for sissies. And I'm sure her mother had some stories, she was an Army nurse during WWII and came ashore on Omaha Beach on D+1.

A 12 Volt supply should be easy, just grab a bigger one and plug it in. Climbing up to put up a new antenna is a different story, but there's nothing wrong with the place looking like an agitated porcupine. As long as the HOA and more importantly, my XYL don't mind I'd put up more, too.