Wearing chute for aerobatic training

Agreed. Which is why in the aggregate, I think the installation of BRS is a more practical avenue for crippled acro planes with pedestrians and uninitiated pilots onboard alike. The current limit to the Cirrus chute is slow for any kind of diving portion of acro, but given that most acro 2 seaters are well lighter than that flying hotel bathtub, perhaps the limit could be faster on the light acro planes.

Here's an S-9 or -10 (video calls is a 7, but that's not a 7) with BRS deployment. I'd personally prefer that over trying to manually bail out of an airplane with a missing wing.

Weight and cost wise, I’d just get proper training and a pilot rig packed with a ramair

Also you’ll probably end up getting into jumping which is quite fun.

He really should have kept more emphasis on KEEPING YOUR KNEES BENT.

Anywho

Also you’re jumping static line from your own plane? Doubt it
Where did this come from?
How often to you practice holding the handle and making a smooth and strong pull? When are you going to grab the handle? How many seconds from the plane? How long does it take to get unstable? Where are you looking when you reach for the handle? If you had to think about any of that, no buneo
If it were me, I'd go through a dry run every time I got into the airplane with a parachute on, just like I did every time I got in my hang gliding harness. Read this: https://www.parachuteshop.com
/Emergency%20Parachutes%20WHAT%20EVERY%20PILOT%20NEEDS%20TO%20KNOW.htm

Once you're made the determination that the airplane you are flying is no longer airworthy, what are you going to do? First off, jettison the door or canopy. Next, brace yourself to get out the door, and release your harness, then push yourself out the door and as soon as you are clear of the airplane, look down to where the D ring should be, grab it and pull as if your life depends on it, NOW!
And as you’re fumbling trying to find the d ring, doubt you’re going to end up stable, go pull on your back, or while spinning and see what happens.
If you get the parachute deployed immediately, it doesn't matter, whatever happens is better than not pulling. Remember, this is an emergency parachute, it is meant to open quickly at relatively low rates of descent. You do not want to wait until you have reached a high rate of descent, as the opening shock may kill you.

Yeah pulling is the most important part, but what you’re saying is worse than saying it’s a good idea to conceal carry having never shot a single round, I mean just point at the bad thing and pull the trigger till it stops going bang, what’s the worse that could happen?
As long as we are doing analogies, here's one: Ships carry lifeboats for a reason. Is the lifeboat a more seaworthy craft than an intact ship? No, it is not. It is preferable to a sinking ship, however, which is why people get into them. Same deal here. Leaving the airplane is a desperate measure, you'd only do it if you thought you could not land successfully. Everyone who has done this and survived has said the same thing, that getting out of the airplane is the hard part. Operating a round parachute is not a difficult task. Way back when I did my first jumps, they started us on static line, then on to hop n pops. Some of us messed up our first hop n pops pretty badly, but everyone survived, because a deployment at a low rate of descent is fairly forgiving. Blowing a deployment while you are at terminal velocity, which in a stable arch is around 10,000 fpm worth of descent, is not nearly as forgiving.

From the Softie emergency parachute's operator's manual:

Once you have exited the aircraft, you will most likely be tumbling. The most important thing to do is pull the ripcord immediately and throw it away. It takes approximately 2-3 seconds for the parachute to fully deploy. Altitude used for complete deployment at terminal velocity is approximately 300-500 feet. That is not the altitude to initiate emergency procedures, but the distance required for deployment and opening.

A emergency rig is even worse, as for one just having it or the sight of it doesn’t help anything other than your illusion of safety, and more over if you can afford the rig, a aerobatic plane and the training that goes along with it, you not only have zero excuse for training on how to use your rig money wise, but as you probably were smart enough to get training on how to use the aerobatic plane, you really should know better.

Again find me a drop zone that will let you do a hop n’ pop with your rig with ZERO training, actually say you watched a sub 110 second YouTube video on the PLF and you’re good to go!

Skydiving schools teach skydiving. They have a vested interest in not having people die unnecessarily. Accordingly, they aren't going to let you jump your single, no reserve, no AAD emergency parachute at all, trained or not. You do know that skydivers do expect to use their reserves every 500 - 1000 jumps, don't you? The only reason to use your emergency parachute is that you will die if you stay in the airplane. It's not a foolproof system, but it's better than no system at all.

If you really wanted to practice something useful, you'd need to practice exits. I'm not sure how to simulate an out of control airplane, which is what you'd need to do this effectively.

Personally if someone I cared about wanted to get into aerobatics and needed a rig, I’d have them get their A license and a rig packed with a ram air reserve, if they couldn’t devote enough time or money for that, well maybe it’s just not the right time for them yet.

If you do decide to take up aerobatics and decide to use a skydiver's rig as your parachute system, make sure you stay high. Skydiving rigs take a while to open since they are designed to open slowly enough to not kill you with the opening shock.

Trying to get the "stable belly" position from a low altitude without training and experience seems like a good way to lawn dart. Just get out and pull.

During a skydiving misadventure, I had an occasion to pull the D-ring while completely arse-over-tea-kettle unstable. Once on the ground, I realized I probably beat the AAD by only a second or 2 at most.

Had a stiff neck for a few days. But, other than that everything worked as advertised, no problem

Where did this come from?

If it were me, I'd go through a dry run every time I got into the airplane with a parachute on, just like I did every time I got in my hang gliding harness. Read this: https://www.parachuteshop.com
/Emergency%20Parachutes%20WHAT%20EVERY%20PILOT%20NEEDS%20TO%20KNOW.htm

Once you're made the determination that the airplane you are flying is no longer airworthy, what are you going to do? First off, jettison the door or canopy. Next, brace yourself to get out the door, and release your harness, then push yourself out the door and as soon as you are clear of the airplane, look down to where the D ring should be, grab it and pull as if your life depends on it, NOW!

If you get the parachute deployed immediately, it doesn't matter, whatever happens is better than not pulling. Remember, this is an emergency parachute, it is meant to open quickly at relatively low rates of descent. You do not want to wait until you have reached a high rate of descent, as the opening shock may kill you.

As long as we are doing analogies, here's one: Ships carry lifeboats for a reason. Is the lifeboat a more seaworthy craft than an intact ship? No, it is not. It is preferable to a sinking ship, however, which is why people get into them. Same deal here. Leaving the airplane is a desperate measure, you'd only do it if you thought you could not land successfully. Everyone who has done this and survived has said the same thing, that getting out of the airplane is the hard part. Operating a round parachute is not a difficult task. Way back when I did my first jumps, they started us on static line, then on to hop n pops. Some of us messed up our first hop n pops pretty badly, but everyone survived, because a deployment at a low rate of descent is fairly forgiving. Blowing a deployment while you are at terminal velocity, which in a stable arch is around 10,000 fpm worth of descent, is not nearly as forgiving.

From the Softie emergency parachute's operator's manual:

Once you have exited the aircraft, you will most likely be tumbling. The most important thing to do is pull the ripcord immediately and throw it away. It takes approximately 2-3 seconds for the parachute to fully deploy. Altitude used for complete deployment at terminal velocity is approximately 300-500 feet. That is not the altitude to initiate emergency procedures, but the distance required for deployment and opening.

Skydiving schools teach skydiving. They have a vested interest in not having people die unnecessarily. Accordingly, they aren't going to let you jump your single, no reserve, no AAD emergency parachute at all, trained or not. You do know that skydivers do expect to use their reserves every 500 - 1000 jumps, don't you? The only reason to use your emergency parachute is that you will die if you stay in the airplane. It's not a foolproof system, but it's better than no system at all.

If you really wanted to practice something useful, you'd need to practice exits. I'm not sure how to simulate an out of control airplane, which is what you'd need to do this effectively.

If you do decide to take up aerobatics and decide to use a skydiver's rig as your parachute system, make sure you stay high. Skydiving rigs take a while to open since they are designed to open slowly enough to not kill you with the opening shock.

Oh boy

Ships actually practice using all the above

Many DZs will let you jump no AAD or a round, IF you have EXPERIENCE

And a ram air reserve is going to open VERY fast as its spring loaded reserve, its just a more advanced canopy design, see how fast this opens as he cuts away

ANNND did you really ask where saying he should have made a emphasis on knees bent on a PLF came from? hey tibs fibs for EVERYONE lol

Again, if you're too lazy or scared to do jump training, stay away from doing things that require you to strap nylon to your back.

Back